Author Topic: super capacitor meter  (Read 1947 times)

Offline maxampTopic starter

super capacitor meter
« on: April 11, 2021, 04:42:27 am »
Is there a meter to measure the capacitance of super capacitors (+1F)?   If some one does know of a super capacitor meter, what is the cheapest one?  And which one has the highest capacitance range for any price?

The fluke 289 can measure 100mF. 

I have maxwell 3000F 2.7V capacitor.  I've been using a constant current power supply with a scope to measure the capacitance. 
capacitance=Coulombs/Volt=(time in seconds)*(content current)/(voltage change)

I want to know the capacitance of the super capacitors to make sure they are balanced when put in series.

I'm guessing multi-meters/LCR meters don't measuring high capacitance because it would involve high currents and be power intensive to give an accurate reading in a short time.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: super capacitor meter
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 04:51:04 am »
I think your method of measuring is probably the way to go.  Assume it's a capacitor, then apply a step function via a resistance and watch the rate of voltage climb.  If you want to match capacitors you can test two at once and measure the voltage difference between them.

Offline MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 07:06:50 am »
I want to know the capacitance of the super capacitors to make sure they are balanced when put in series.

Keep in mind that the capacitance changes individually with charge/discharge cycles, over time and temperature.
The self-discharge may be even more important.
It needs some sort of balancing e.g. with parallel resistors.

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 09:19:36 am »
The usual balancer board applies small currents, like 2.7 V / 10R = 0.27 A max. If capacitors agree within +/- 20 % the maximum allowable charge current would be about 1 A. Also depends on total voltage margin left in the end. During high current discharge there won't be any problem with balancing, i mean if you combine supercaps of the same make/lot.
A precision capacitance measurement doesn't make sense with those parts as they are electrolytical capacitors. For example you will notice that it takes hours or days for self discharge to settle after reaching final voltage.

Regards, Dieter

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 11:12:49 am »

Beware that having the same capacitance is not enough, they need to have the same initial voltage, too.  For example, if one is already charged to 2V while the other series capacitor is only at 1V you'll still have an unbalance.

Different voltage on two series capacitors of the same size can appear, for example when one capacitor has bigger leakage and self discharges faster.

Offline Picuino

• Frequent Contributor
    • Picuino web
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 11:38:09 am »
It is also very important to measure the equivalent series resistance (ESR) because in these capacitors it is usually very high (it can be 100 Ohms for 1 Farad capacitor)

Offline Le_Bassiste

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 12:15:42 pm »
Is there a meter to measure the capacitance of super capacitors (+1F)?   If some one does know of a super capacitor meter, what is the cheapest one?  And which one has the highest capacitance range for any price?

The fluke 289 can measure 100mF. 

if you already have a Fluke 289, you can try this (make sure that the cap in question doesn't have more than a couple of 100 mV residual voltage accross its terminals):
1. make a [Lo Ohms] measurement on the capacitor and [Save] a [Record].
2. press the [Start] button, and [Stop] the recording after exactly 60 sec.
3. look at the trend record and find two points on the linear portion of the Ohms vs. time plot that are 60 sec apart.
4. find the slope of the plot by calculating D = (Ohms2 - Ohms1) / 60.  [Ohms/sec].
5. calculate the capacitance of your cap as C = 1/D [F].

albeit a bit lengthy to perform, this method gives quite decent results on the Fluke 289.  you probably can shorten the measurement [i.e., recording] time to just a couple of seconds and sacrifice some accuracy, but i didn't try that.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:17:35 pm by Le_Bassiste »
An assertion ending with a question mark is a brain fart.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 12:36:45 pm »
...make sure that the cap in question doesn't have more than a couple of 100 mV residual voltage accross its terminals...

Beware some supercapacitors have a minimal voltage, same as some rechargeable battery have.  If they are discharged under their minimal voltage, they get damaged.
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/electronic-components/resources/data-sheet/eaton-supercapacitor-hybrid-cylindrical-cells-data-sheet.pdf
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:43:55 pm by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: MiDi

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 06:28:09 am »
Sencore Lc102 and Lc103 can go up to 20 Farad ....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf