Author Topic: Determining forward voltage/current of several in series LEDs ?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline LinuxHataTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hello.
I don't know whenever this is the proper place to ask, so forgive me, if not.

The single led has characteristic current/voltage dependence curve, based on which, it is quite easy to determine the working voltage, even without knowing the working current - just begin slowly increasing the voltage, while monitoring the current, and when there's a sharp increase in current, here we are.  LCR-T4 and similar testers can do this for a single led quite reliably.  But I very often encounter strings of unknown number of leds, mostly 3-30 in series, which might have any (also unknown) working current, starting from 5mA to 1A most commonly.
I do have some high voltage lab power supplies, which I'm using for that measurement purposes, but it requires considerable amount of time, so I'd like to have some automated tool for that.

Are there any readily available or simple to make solutions for that?

Thanks in advance!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: Determining forward voltage/current of several in series LEDs ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 08:11:26 pm »
Same as a single one, just do VF * Number of leds.

If a single led does 1.7Vf@5mA, 1.9Vf@100mA, 5 leds in series will be 5x that.

Of course assuming they're all the same.

Also  that's why power leds are usually driven with constant current, not constant voltage, VF gets lower with temperature, risking thermal avalanche.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:14:09 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 09:01:11 pm »
To automatically derive the forward voltage of an unknown number of leds in a string you´d have to know the color or more accurately the semiconductor-mix that is used in the string (green leds can be based nowadays on other semiconductors than 20 years ago afair).
If you have a power supply that is remotely controllable then you could write a small Python script where you tell it the number of leds in the string or the color and it should be able to determine the forward voltage/current.
Or just get a 100V 10mA current source (safety precautions observed...), observe forward voltage of complete string, then divide by visible number of illuminated leds.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 04:52:34 am »
The idea is to completely have this process automated. Leds might be epoxy potted and not visible independently, so can't count them to determine the voltage.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 05:49:45 am »
Get a step up led driver that can boost to a high voltage - higher than the sum of all forward voltages - and set it to limit the current to some sane value like 5-10mA. 
Start the test process, the led driver will keep boosting the voltage up until the leds consume that 5-10mA of current ... now you can measure the voltage across the leds with a multimeter or some microcontroller (after bringing it down with a voltage divider or something to sane levels)

For example TPS61196 can boost up to 120v and have a bunch of protections built in that can be useful : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/TPS61196PWPR/3880034
It's 6 channel driver, but you can use only one channel to test a led strip.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 12:14:51 pm »
Well, as I said above, I know how to technically do it by "hand". I want automation - I connect the LEDs, hit button and device display shows Forward voltage and current.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 12:18:13 pm »
If you know the led type and its typical forward voltage then you could have a MCU apply a 20mA current source and then read the voltage and divide that by the known led forward voltage to obtain an estimation for the number of leds in the string.

If you have many led types all in series then it gets tricky.
If they are different colors/types you can't tell if it's many reds leds or fewer blue leds for example.
If they are all the same color but that color could be different then you could have a switch to tell the MCU what color leds you are testing. Then it can apply different logic to the calculation.  But its only an estimate since the same color led can exist with different led chemistry and forward voltages
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:25:33 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 12:29:28 pm »
The idea is to completely have this process automated. Leds might be epoxy potted and not visible independently, so can't count them to determine the voltage.
Not knowing the number of LEDs makes it one equation with two unknowns, which means an infinite number of solutions. And that's if we assume that all the LEDs are identical, otherwise the number of unknowns will increase.

Offline ivo

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 12:30:43 pm »
Get a programmable power supply up to the highest rated voltage you need, you might also need something that is able to programmable-y log voltage / current (current is easily logged using voltage over a resistor), and you can hack this capability up in a python script.

But always the proper way to drive any LEDs, is a constant current source that has the required compliance voltage. That only requires figuring out a nice current for the LEDs to run at.

If someone is yelling at you that they have all these crazy strings of LEDs that they have no idea about, I would just be charging commensurately for use of my time to figure it out for them.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:34:10 pm by ivo »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 04:31:23 pm »
It does not generate "infinite" number of solutions, because LED has very specific voltage/current related curve, and if you "catch" the moment when say, increase of voltage by 1% causes current increase by, say 10%, then - here you are.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 04:45:09 pm »
It does not generate "infinite" number of solutions, because LED has very specific voltage/current related curve, and if you "catch" the moment when say, increase of voltage by 1% causes current increase by, say 10%, then - here you are.
It does.

For n LEDs connected in series, assuming each of them has an equal drop of Vf (which is the parameter we want to determine) at a certain current which is a fixed condition of the test, we have the following equation:

Vf * n = Vtot

Where Vtot is voltage drop across all the LEDs combined.

you can measure Vtot, and if n is known, then Vf can be easily calculated. But if n isn't known, then there is an infinite number of combinations of Vf and n that satisfy the equation.

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 06:16:08 pm »
I think a lab power supply that supports constant current mode will do the job. It needs an automation interface like GPIB, RS232 or USB. For example the OWON P4603 will do current and voltage measurements. So you wire it to the load  and a PC and write a little application that steps constant current like 1, 2... mA and records voltage. It can stop when the "10% more current at 1 % more voltage" condition is fulfilled, if that is your criterion.

Regards, Dieter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf