Author Topic: Teardown: Standard Resistors  (Read 143603 times)

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
Re: Teardown: Standard Resistors
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2018, 05:50:45 pm »
The IET documentation says to lubricate using Synco Super-Lube with PTFE -- would not the PTFE particles suspended in the synthetic grease increase contact resistance? This unit at 0 measures at under 2.5 mOhm using kelvin probes on my HP34401A. The General Radio specs for these switches was  < 0.5 milli-Ohms of contact resistance. With the exception of the three values above, it is so precise, I'm reluctant to fuck with it.

Any advice?

AFAIK, the PTFE shouldn't be a problem. The Super Lube products are a PAO oil, supposedly an excellent lube for electrical contacts. The thickener is fumed silica rather than the usual soaps. It would be interesting to re-grease it and run the resistance test again just to be sure. I think the old GR literature suggested Vaseline for lube, and maybe some other grease, depending on the vintage. One has to remember that the GR resistance boxes are very good, but they were never intended as metrology grade calibration standards.

The following users thanked this post: ian.ameline

Offline ian.ameline

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2018, 09:59:18 pm »
The IET documentation says to lubricate using Synco Super-Lube with PTFE -- would not the PTFE particles suspended in the synthetic grease increase contact resistance? This unit at 0 measures at under 2.5 mOhm using kelvin probes on my HP34401A. The General Radio specs for these switches was  < 0.5 milli-Ohms of contact resistance. With the exception of the three values above, it is so precise, I'm reluctant to fuck with it.

Any advice?

AFAIK, the PTFE shouldn't be a problem. The Super Lube products are a PAO oil, supposedly an excellent lube for electrical contacts. The thickener is fumed silica rather than the usual soaps. It would be interesting to re-grease it and run the resistance test again just to be sure. I think the old GR literature suggested Vaseline for lube, and maybe some other grease, depending on the vintage. One has to remember that the GR resistance boxes are very good, but they were never intended as metrology grade calibration standards.

I also have some deoxit lithium based grease (L260Np), I'll give that a try on the 100Ohm decade along with the deoxit cleaner and see what effect that has.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2018, 04:33:47 am »
A quick impromptu teardown. L&N 4221-B
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
With all the concern about spot welding and wire fastening in other threads, and the impossibility of it being done well enough my mere mortals and DIYers, it's hard to believe the crude construction of the 4221 yields as good performance as it does.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2018, 05:51:49 pm »
With all the concern about spot welding and wire fastening in other threads, and the impossibility of it being done well enough my mere mortals and DIYers, it's hard to believe the crude construction of the 4221 yields as good performance as it does.
Very true , especially since it was still getting calibrated until 2006. Then again, I wonder what the ultra precision low ohms resistors look like(ohm-labs , Measurements International). I'm think not much different.

Offline Edwin G. Pettis

• Frequent Contributor
  • The plural of anecdote is not data.
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2018, 01:16:39 am »
You are comparing apples and oranges here, these resistors such as the L&N 42xx series are made with Manganin and are soldered, PWW resistors such as I make are made with Evanohm alloys which are not solder-able and must be welded.  It is not the 'crude' construction as much as the processes used to make them stable.

These resistors require entirely different methods to produce the end result, using the same methods on Evanohm resistors wouldn't even bother them.  Some of the Soviet style resistors similar to the L&Ns were actually made with a relatively thick sheet of Manganin with heavy copper leads soldered to the sheet.  Others such as L&N used heavy gauge wire instead with smaller gauge wire being used for higher values.  On the whole, the techniques were not that different between the Manganin type standards.  None the less, it does take considerable care and handling to produce such stable Manganin resistors, it isn't an off-the-shelf type of thing.  Manganin does remain very sensitive to handling and its environment unlike the Evanohm standards such as the SR-104.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2018, 08:59:55 am »

Yes, I expected somehow a "much better", whatever that means.
By the look of it, we all could have built something like this L&N 4221-B ourselfs

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: WattsThat

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:19 am »
By the look of it, we all could have built something like this L&N 4221-B ourselfs

I will just say that years of hard won experience (across many different disciplines) will indicate that looks can often be deceiving. I'm sure there is an awful lot more to it than grabbing a spool of manganin and soldering on some binding posts when it comes to any post assembly treatment to manage long term accuracy and drift.

Of course I could be wrong.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2018, 01:54:08 am »

I will just say that years of hard won experience (across many different disciplines) will indicate that looks can often be deceiving. I'm sure there is an awful lot more to it than grabbing a spool of manganin and soldering on some binding posts when it comes to any post assembly treatment to manage long term accuracy and drift.

Of course I could be wrong.
The link I posted goes into some of the processes involved.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2019, 11:58:10 pm »
I remember from some of Dave's videos that high grade decade boxes tend to look similar, but that they appear to be trimmed after assembly. Crude looking isn't necessarily crude.

Offline calija

• Contributor
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2020, 02:01:04 pm »
Dear all,

I am new and I got resistor fluke 742A-1.
One of the pin starts to moving on - can you help me to show how I can open this type of resistor.

Best regards!!!!

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor

Offline calija

• Contributor
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2020, 02:12:06 pm »
yes I find this pictures but I can t find screws  |O !!!

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2020, 02:14:57 pm »
yes I find this pictures but I can t find screws  |O !!!
It looks like they are under the sticker on the front panel.

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2020, 02:18:52 pm »
Or, back under the black elements there are just 4 of them.

Offline calija

• Contributor
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2020, 02:20:38 pm »
Yes, you are right  :-+!!!!

:palm: what a stupid solution!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Offline calija

• Contributor
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2020, 02:22:29 pm »
Under sticker  :-DD!!!!

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2020, 03:33:27 pm »
Under sticker  :-DD!!!!
Can you post some pictures?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline calija

• Contributor
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2020, 08:22:59 am »
here it is!!!!

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2020, 08:51:42 am »
Hello and welcome, calija!

You're really new here.. we all would like to see pictures of the interior, of course  :popcorn:
Would you mind taking some of the interior construction and post them here, please?

Frank

Offline calija

• Contributor
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2020, 08:52:47 am »
that's all folks!!!!

Offline calija

• Contributor
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2020, 08:57:19 am »
I see internal picture in this blog
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/teardown-standard-resistors/
first page!!!!

The following users thanked this post: ManateeMafia

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:38 am »
Thank you for the pictures calija!

I am surprised to find the screws under the metallic label.
The is not an easy production step, since the label is squeezed to the housing by the binding posts.
Very interesting.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2020, 04:58:55 am »
It's actually very good anti-tamper feature :)
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf