Author Topic: Help to identify the triax connector on an ADCMT 5450 electrometer.  (Read 1227 times)

Offline aronakeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I bought an ADCMT 5450 electrometer.

https://www.adcmt.com/en/products/dc/5450

This may be more a test equipment question that a metrology question, but due to the metrologyesque nature of the ADCMT 5450 I am posting here.

Problem is that it did not come with any measurement cable, which I was aware of.

The meter have a somewhat "non standard" triax connector which ADCMT call S.TRIAX. It seems it has a bit more insulation than a normal TRIAX connector.

I would need help to identify this connector so i can make my own cable, or find an adaptor from this connector to a normal triax so i could use my Keithley triax electrometer cable. Anyone have any idea what is the name of this kind of triax or any part number or supplier for this triax connector?

Attached picture of the connector on the electrometer and an adaptor ADCMT sell.

I am trying to contact ADCMT to see if they have a cable or an adaptor to sell, but not too sure I will hear from them, and/or suspect the cable is rather expensive so trying here.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Help to identify the triax connector on an ADCMT 5450 electrometer.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 10:49:06 pm »
Page 4 on this document has more information about this "much safer input connector":

https://www.n-denkei.com/taiwan/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2021/08/E-5450-5451.pdf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 11:21:16 pm »
It seems its the same connector as on the Agilent/Keysight 4339B high resistance meter.

Some info here, but did not help me to be much more certain on what coonector i am looking for.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/396471/unknown-triax-connector

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 04:45:19 pm »
I can find what looks like the connector on Digikey and other places, but the data sheets never disclose the thread size. If you knew that you could measure what you have and know the mate would fit. I just did a Google image search on TNC and triaxial and looked for something that looks like it can mate.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 07:36:44 pm »
I can find what looks like the connector on Digikey and other places, but the data sheets never disclose the thread size. If you knew that you could measure what you have and know the mate would fit. I just did a Google image search on TNC and triaxial and looked for something that looks like it can mate.

Thanks! Thats some good suggestions. The electrometer is still in shipping so will measure and try to figure out when I get it. But hope is that someone may have some suggestion what connector it is.

Offline Sparks-Components

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 04:47:44 am »
Based on my experience in making HP4339B measurement cable this connector is

Triaxial TNC
Teflon needs to be cut

The following users thanked this post: aronake, ch_scr, luudee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 02:14:12 pm »

Triaxial TNC
Teflon needs to be cut

Great! I managed to figure out this. I cut a bit less of the teflon as per below picture.

Cable works very well, but I have not taken it higher than 100 V yet. But would not think 1000 V as the 5450 can output would be any problem.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 04:15:26 pm »

Triaxial TNC
Teflon needs to be cut

Hi Sparks-Components,

Since you seem to be an expert on high resistance cables, how do you do on the DUT side of your cables?

To be able to run the meter with only the triax cable, I plan to put connectors on both the central wire of the triax and she outer shield. My suspicion when making the cable that normal shrink tube had too low resistance to make a good cable for dividing wires, which showed out to be true. My not so elegant solution on the picture below. I took the outer shield to one connector, then gap with the middle protection layer. Ideally I would want to pack this nicer, but would need some tubing (which ideally can shrink) with high enough resistance.

I will also do one cable where only the central wire goes to a banana or crocodile clip.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 04:43:07 pm »
To be able to run the meter with only the triax cable, I plan to put connectors on both the central wire of the triax and she outer shield. My suspicion when making the cable that normal shrink tube had too low resistance to make a good cable for dividing wires, which showed out to be true. My not so elegant solution on the picture below. I took the outer shield to one connector, then gap with the middle protection layer. Ideally I would want to pack this nicer, but would need some tubing (which ideally can shrink) with high enough resistance.
I've used PTFE heat shrink for high impedance (electrometer) applications.

The following users thanked this post: aronake

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 06:13:23 pm »
You can use anti-leak tape which is made of PTFE
First wrap some anti-leak tape and then shrink it with ordinary heat shrink tubing.

Anti-leak belt or raw material belt. The translation seems wrong.

Pay attention to pollution

Pollution will leak electricity

你可以利用 止洩帶 它是PTFE製作的 
先纏繞一些止洩帶後再用一般的熱縮套管收縮即可

止洩帶或是生料帶  翻譯好像不太對

注意汙染
污染會漏電

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 06:30:52 pm »
The photos from 4 years ago are so nostalgic
I wrapped my clips in PTFE
At 100V output voltage
You can see that 0.5XXnA dropped to 0.02XnA (instrument limit/no zero current compensation)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 05:50:13 am »
Thanks to Alm and Sparks-Components for input!

I will buy some different PTFE heat shrink, leak tape, etc and do some experimentation.

I think i am on the right track now. The banana plugs I use are way to conductive, the better way seem to but on crocodile clips at the end.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf