Author Topic: Metrology Meeting in Stuttgart/Germany  (Read 72078 times)

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Metrology Meeting in Stuttgart/Germany
« Reply #300 on: September 27, 2022, 01:11:12 am »
I had time to run one more test to continue the 3458A guard switch saga, which was to check if the same problem also occurs if I use a different voltage reference than the Fluke 7001. So now I used the same 3458A #1 DMM and cable, but I used a Fluke 732A running off mains power (it does not have batteries yet) instead of the Fluke 7001 running of battery I used for the previous experiments. I tried both with connecting the guard lead to the F732A guard terminal, which is isolated from the 10 V HI/LO terminals. Unsurprisingly the guard switch did not make a difference there, and the difference are way down in the noise (0.05 ppm). Note that the vertical scale spans 0.2 ppm here:

Then I connected the guard to the same terminal as the low input lead to the DMM (so 10 V LO when measuring positive polarity and 10 V HI when measuring negative polarity). Here I observed a very similar effect to what I saw on the F7001, -6 to -8 ppm for this meter. So clearly the effect isn't just that the setting upsets the F7001 output stage:

Error bars again indicate standard deviation, n >= 20.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 01:46:32 am by alm »

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank, MegaVolt

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #301 on: November 13, 2023, 08:40:54 pm »
branadic and I on short notice came up with the idea of a mini (or micro) metrology meet at branadic's place in Stuttgart. The goal was to compare and transfer our best representation of 10 V and 10 kOhm between our labs over the span of a bit over 24h with a few hours of sleep. branadic was also so kind to add a thermistor to my 10 kOhm reference that was sorely missing an internal thermistor (see picture). All raw data is available on xDevs.com and the preliminary analysis (without nice plots / summary tables and without proper uncertainty calculations) are here on Github in a Jupyter Notebook.

A full article on xDevs.com should follow soon.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 08:50:31 pm by alm »

The following users thanked this post: Andreas, Vgkid, MiDi

Offline branadicTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #302 on: November 14, 2023, 06:36:17 am »
Fun it was, attached an image of the DUTs that we focused on.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

The following users thanked this post: Andreas, MiDi

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2024, 08:46:12 pm »
Since I'm currently in the process of comparing the volt with Frank facing some trouble with measurements performed on our 3458A, I remembered again similar trouble we had at MM2023, that were fixed once we applied the guarding scheme as described in HP AN-123.
So I thought it is worth mentioning here and drawing it in color, as it might be helpful to others, too.  :-//

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

The following users thanked this post: Echo88, Dr. Frank, egonotto, deepfryed, alm

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #304 on: February 08, 2024, 08:55:15 pm »
 Dr. branadic, did you already find the culprit?

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #305 on: February 10, 2024, 08:02:19 am »
Not yet, but I hope to spot it this weekend. All my measurements at home look good so far.

-branadic-

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2024, 07:34:45 am »
I finally managed to find the culprit and leave it here as an additional reminder to the above image.
I used a wall socket in the lab for powering your reference that was nearby. Obviously this wall socket is connected to a different phase, so meter and wall adapter of the reference were running on different phases, which led to large shifts during polartity reversal, that vanished when I ran the reference from batteries.
I also cleaned all posts and cable connectors again before I repeated the measurements and tada the result now make sense.

-branadic-

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank, Andreas, Kleinstein, BU508A, aronake, alm

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #307 on: February 18, 2024, 10:05:18 am »
Hello Dr. branadic,
that's a great finding!
I have never seen that polarity change effect in my lab, as all instruments and all the references are supplied from the identical phase.
We should ask the colleagues from CERN, PTB tomorrow, how they analyse and  manage the mains and power supply (CMMR), illumination (EMC) and temperature (T.C.) characteristics in their labs.
This is another very important aspect, to achieve lower uncertainty and higher stability.
In our EE company, all mains plugs are marked individually, I.e. the red ones are connected to the USV system, and the black ones are marked for the 3 different phases, if I remember right. Have not been in the company recently.
I guess that our engineers don't care, because they are not doing  such high precision stuff, usually
Frank
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 10:38:22 am by Dr. Frank »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #308 on: February 18, 2024, 10:30:28 am »
Just the normal mains phase alone should not have much effect. The meters should have enough shields and mains hum suppression to cope with this.  Especially if the guard terminals are connected there should not be much mains effect left.

The problem is likely more some higher frequencies that also live on the mains and also different ground paths.  It may be worth testing if an EMI mains filter make a difference.

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #309 on: February 18, 2024, 11:59:31 am »
Interesting, if polarity reversal has a effect I'd assume there is a dc component to it.
Leakage from the power supply?

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #310 on: February 18, 2024, 05:26:09 pm »
I think there are two questions here: Why does connecting to a different AC circuit (different phase or frequency?) matter, and why does this affect polarity reversal. To me phase cannot matter unless the meter is sampling an odd number of power line cycles, like NPLC 1. It also seems unlikely that the frequency is very different (probably coming from the same three phase feed). So I agree with Kleinstein that this is something else than just the phase difference. Like indeed ground currents or EMI. And then the question that The Soulman raies is why does this increase the polarity reversal deviation, and my best guess is there that the noise is getting rectified at the bridge rectifier of the reference's power supply and is leaking through the regulator.

I wonder if the same problem would happen if you connected the 3458A and reference both to the other phase. If it's EMI on that phase, it should show the same result. And then it would be interesting to see what the ref's output looks like on a scope (AC coupled and ideally differentially) when connected to either phase. Maybe the noise is so high that you don't even need a low noise amplifier ;)

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #311 on: February 22, 2024, 06:37:39 pm »
Would offer a handful of split ferrites to @branadic for CM and DM supression games, if its possible to do the right thing (tm) with them.
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

The following users thanked this post: branadic

Offline Wollvieh

• Contributor
« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2024, 06:57:11 pm »
Will there be a meeting in 2024?

Asking for a friend(ly Keithley 2000 and a Prema 5000.  ;D)

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #313 on: March 06, 2024, 10:05:01 am »
Hello,

we can have MM2024. Possible dates are:

I would like to ask you to give me a feedback. Depending on that and some additional feedback from a person I'm asking for a talk we will fix the date.

-branadic-

The following users thanked this post: Echo88, Dr. Frank, BU508A, The Soulman, Wollvieh, alm, MiDi, RolandK, Ole

Offline Wollvieh

• Contributor
« Reply #314 on: March 06, 2024, 05:11:00 pm »
Personally I would prefer July over August.

Local school holidays start end of July, so generally more people might be on vacation from then on.

The following users thanked this post: RolandK, Ole

Offline Ole

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2024, 11:14:07 am »
Hiho
I would second Wollvieh‘s preference for a date in July over August

cheers, Ole
*record scratch noise* Hey, you.
Yes, you. Have an awesome day!

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #316 on: March 09, 2024, 07:08:34 pm »
From July 8, 2024 – July 12, 2024 there is the CPEM while IMEKO World Congress is from August, 26 – August 29, 2024.
On the other hand, if I would schedule the meeting on August 17, 2024 we could have a talk by PTB.

-branadic-

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank, alm, Ole

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #317 on: March 10, 2024, 09:21:11 am »
August 17th is perfectly fine for me, as well July 8th to August 29th, which are the Summer holidays. André, thank you!
Frank

Offline Roehrenonkel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #318 on: March 10, 2024, 10:38:33 am »
Hi,

i'd like to come too. I don't mind the date.
Does someone from southern-bavaria go there and could give me and my Prema-5017 a lift?
(DB / german railservice sucks big time)
Would bring some "cheap" voltage-references as well.

Best regards

Online bastl_r

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #319 on: March 10, 2024, 03:43:25 pm »
I think I'll be there this year too. Last time it didn't work out for me due to the coronavirus.
I would bring my "new" 1Ohm standard resistor and my Prema5017.

Greetings until then

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #320 on: March 11, 2024, 09:46:26 am »
Save the Date for MM2024: August 17, 2024

-branadic-
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 11:32:05 am by branadic »

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank, Andreas, Wollvieh, alm, MiDi, RolandK, kleiner Rainer, balun, JK21, Ole

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #321 on: March 11, 2024, 02:49:42 pm »
That fits well, saved!
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank, exe, RolandK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf