Electronics > Metrology

Which 8.5digit Multimeter should I get?

(1/8) > >>

mendip_discovery:
Well, I know this will bring out the hardcore VoltNuts.

So work is allowing me to buy a new meter and after seeing the price for tired second hand unit the boss said to buy a brand new one. So its either the Sexy Black edition of the Keysight 3458A with the 001 and the 1kV AC options or the Fluke 8588A with its fancy Colour TV.

This will be for a small 17025 Lab. Depending on the difference in price I think I might lean towards the Fluke partly as it's got the 30A capability built in. We have a Transmille multiproduct unit that does up to 22A so would be great if I could use the Fluke to characterise it.

Ole:
I am not an expet in the 8.5digit realm nor in the calibration realm so take this with a grain of salt.
I have looked at the price difference between the 3458A and the predecessor to the 8588, the 8508.
What Keysights websight says is that the price of a new unit is 10500€, i would presume that the 1kV AC option
would push the price to 11000€.
The only hint towards the price of the 8588 is a used 8508 which was listed for 12500€ iirc.
Concidering the 8588 is quite a massive upgrade i would estimate the price to be around 17500-20000,
but thats just a guess as Fluke doesnt tell the unit prices for the high end equipment on their website.

My personal Idea would be to build a high current adapter with a say 5A and a 25A range via individual terminals.
At this point the self heating of the shunts will be an issue so I would try and compensate that via a thermal sensor on each shunt.
That could be read via a AIO-Chip like an ICL7106 or maybe via another Multimeter.

I dont know about the availibility and precission of high current shunts for the 5-25A Range. If I had to make the decission it would depend on the usage type, current or ohms.
Is the DMM going to primarily be utilized to characterize high current equipment? What would be the Price of the 8588?

bdunham7:
Get the prices and ask your boss.  I think the 3458A with your options is about $14K USD, the 8588A about $16K.  Put it to him this way--one is a PB-Free rehash of a 30-year old design with a new paint job, the other is much more recent and modern, in addition to having your current range.   I suppose it depends a bit on what prices you get in your area.

mendip_discovery:

--- Quote from: bdunham7 on May 07, 2022, 03:38:31 pm ---Get the prices and ask your boss.  I think the 3458A with your options is about $14K USD, the 8588A about $16K.  Put it to him this way--one is a PB-Free rehash of a 30-year old design with a new paint job, the other is much more recent and modern, in addition to having your current range.   I suppose it depends a bit on what prices you get in your area.

--- End quote ---

Yup getting prices I am hoping it won't be too much extra for the Fluke. We did have some prices for the Transmille and its the same as the KS so we were leaning towards the KS then I found the Fluke so waiting on a price for that so I can get an idea of the cost. Fluke looks to have some good specs but I know with VoltNuts that claimed spec isn't all the same. Might see if I can get both on loan to compare them.

bdunham7:

--- Quote from: mendip_discovery on May 07, 2022, 04:26:14 pm ---Fluke looks to have some good specs but I know with VoltNuts that claimed spec isn't all the same. Might see if I can get both on loan to compare them.

--- End quote ---

How would you compare them?  Assuming we're talking about the specifications, tolerances and actual vs claimed performance, not just UI and aesthetics.

As far as claimed specs, you'd have to look at all of the aspects of those.  I know the 3458A has excellent specified linearity on the 10V scale, which they make a big deal of, but Fluke doesn't really specify or emphasize that.  The Fluke 8558A might actually be the closest competitor to the 3458A, you'd have to scour the specs for what matters to you the most.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version