Author Topic: [Video] Embedded TCP/IP stack explained: step-by-step code walk-through  (Read 680 times)

Offline telluriumTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Just made a video and want to share it:

Feedback is welcome.
Open source embedded network library https://mongoose.ws
TCP/IP stack + TLS1.3 + HTTP/WebSocket/MQTT in a single file

The following users thanked this post: eutectique, wek, 8goran8

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
I watched bits of it.

It is an incredibly complex piece of software. Where / how did you learn how to write this? Did you write it all yourself or is it based on snippets from elsewhere?

The video goes really deep but that could be just me never having integrated a TCP/IP stack. In my project another guy implemented LWIP - supplied by STM with Cube IDE; I think it took him a month or two of Monday afternoons and he did a lot of googling to find various bug fixes.
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Offline telluriumTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
It is an incredibly complex piece of software. Where / how did you learn how to write this? Did you write it all yourself or is it based on snippets from elsewhere?

I am an original author, but now it is not just me - other engineers from our team work on it. Drivers, TCP/IP stack, TLS stack, protocol handlers, good reference projects and docs - there's plenty of stuff todo.

It is not based on anything, written from scratch and rewritten several times since 2004. The only pieces of 3rd party code that we use are crypto algorithms. We don't reinvent those, just take stuff written by others under a public domain license.

It started very simple, as a web server for the Web UI, and then gradually evolved over the years.

Network programming, and especially embedded network programming, is difficult. Now our team works on a tool that is going to work like grafana. A simple configuration wizard, and a simple UI constructor should give a possibility to create sophisticated Web UI and other network functionality (like, remote control over MQTT)  by simple point / click / configure - and we'll generate the working (mongoose-based) code. Anyone, even non-experienced developers, should be able to create descent implementations with little effort. That's our goal.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 04:34:50 pm by tellurium »
Open source embedded network library https://mongoose.ws
TCP/IP stack + TLS1.3 + HTTP/WebSocket/MQTT in a single file

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf