Electronics > Microcontrollers

512 Megabyte sdram for stm32

<< < (3/4) > >>

seyedsaeed:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on June 09, 2023, 07:42:50 pm ---What are you going to do with 512MiB of RAM and a MCU, if we can ask?

--- End quote ---
It is for an important research work.

radiolistener:
If you really needs 512 MB RAM, I think MCU is a bad choice for that. I would suggest to see something like raspberry pi, odroid-m1 or something like that

seyedsaeed:

--- Quote from: radiolistener on June 10, 2023, 03:14:48 pm ---If you really needs 512 MB RAM, I think MCU is a bad choice for that. I would suggest to see something like raspberry pi, odroid-m1 or something like that

--- End quote ---
Yes really, but it has to be done with the microcontroller, not anything else, not even FPGA or...

Georgy.Moshkin:
1. In one of my stm32 projects I had pretty big 3d arrays. They could not fit in the ram, so I was using binary space partitioning algorithm. It was kind of compression algorithm for storing only nonzero values. I was not knowledgeable enough at that time, and used Delphi to write proof of concept and then ported it to C and tested on stm32f446. Although access speed was slow, it was working. With my todays knowledge I can do much better, especially on H7. I can use TCM memory for time critical portions of code and data, or use cache, etc. So there is an option to compress your data, it may be applied if compression performance is acceptable.

2. Use second MCU to emulate large memory. Or do data exchange through PSSI interface. Second MCU can read/write data to few psram low-pin-count chips, or even swap to sdcard. Internal memory of second chip can be used as cache and prefetch buffer. May work pretty fast if there are no random reads/writes.

Both approaches have many different wasys to implement, there are no performance miracles, but I think in some rare cases results may be very interesting.

seyedsaeed:
Thanks everyone, but I only need 512MegaByte of RAM.
And not anything else
It is very important and vital that this is done, and in the next phase, which must be done with FPGA, much larger RAMs are needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version