Author Topic: Any MPLAB ICE4 experiences?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline slugrustleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Any MPLAB ICE4 experiences?
« on: October 03, 2022, 10:41:38 pm »
It appears that Microchip has released a new "in-circuit emulator" that they call the MPLAB ICE 4.  https://www.microchip.com/en-us/development-tool/DV244140#.  Does anyone here have experience using it?  Any comment on benefits over ICD 4 or the normal Atmel debugging tools?

I put "in-circuit emulator" in quotes because it doesn't seem to replace the MCU in the circuit like actual in-circuit emulators that I've used.  Those things rock because you can see absolutely everything that's going on inside the emulated MCU.  This looks more like a debugger with enhanced trace capabilities on the MCUs that support it.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Any MPLAB ICE4 experiences?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 11:27:58 pm »
It appears that Microchip has released a new "in-circuit emulator" that they call the MPLAB ICE 4.  https://www.microchip.com/en-us/development-tool/DV244140#.  Does anyone here have experience using it?  Any comment on benefits over ICD 4 or the normal Atmel debugging tools?

I put "in-circuit emulator" in quotes because it doesn't seem to replace the MCU in the circuit like actual in-circuit emulators that I've used.  Those things rock because you can see absolutely everything that's going on inside the emulated MCU.  This looks more like a debugger with enhanced trace capabilities on the MCUs that support it.
The days of old-style ICEs are long gone, due to increasing clock speeds. MCUs now include on-chip debug hardware, used in conjunction with code running on the MCU. This does sometimes impose constraints on the debugging process though.

Over the years I find myself using debug hardware less & less - I started off with the old Picmaster, then ICE2000, both of which used bond-out type chips - I had maybe a dozen headers for each system. Then the ICD debuggers, but nowadays it's pretty much  just program and spit debug info as needed on IO pins and serial port.
It's probably a mix of the type of (simpler) work I do, better familiarity with the parts, and better generic debug tools like scope serial debug & bus display.
I did look at the ICE4 a while ago, but couldn't really see that I'd get much value out of it, and it wasn't very clear exactly what advantage it gave over ICD4
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 11:29:31 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 07:36:48 pm »
The ICD4 (part DV164045 ) is EOL "Product is End of Life (EOL), please consider MPLAB® PICkit™ 4 or MPLAB ICE 4 for your design needs."

Offline slugrustleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 12:46:15 am »
The ICD4 (part DV164045 ) is EOL "Product is End of Life (EOL), please consider MPLAB® PICkit™ 4 or MPLAB ICE 4 for your design needs."

Now that is surprising.  ICD 4 isn't even that old.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 05:07:52 am »
ICD 4 isn't even that old.
Traditionally, there is a low-end debugger (less than $100.  Currently SNAP or PICKit4), a mid-range one (several hundred $$, currently ICD 4), and a high-end box (> $1000.)

ICE-4 ($1800) doesn't replace ICD-4 ($350), it's in a different class.  It's been a while since Microchip has released a high-end box (before the Atmel acquisition, I think.  So this may be the first one with AVR and SAM support.)

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 05:35:59 am »

Now that is surprising.  ICD 4 isn't even that old.

not surprising at all. while the ICD3 was an FPGA based device, which had substantial more processing power and debugging capability over the pickit 3, the ICD4 doesn't have much more over the pickit 4. AFAIK Same debugging capabilities as the processor in the PK4 is very powerful. Combine with the fact that the ICD4 cost at least five times as much, it's not really justified. Well, i haven't had the pleasure to use one ICD4 myself but when the PK4 works (which is 99.5% of the time now) it is already miles ahead from the ICD3, so its capabilities might be enough. The only thing i miss it's the Type B usb port, i had to reflow or change the usb port in the pickit 4 about twice a year. They should have used one with through hole pins.

Also in the past couple of months microchip has been EOL'ing devtools and obscure parts like crazy. Maybe when the silicon shortage gets better we will see something new
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 05:40:54 am by JPortici »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf