Electronics > Microcontrollers

Anyone used the Wiznet ethernet chips?

<< < (25/25)

Siwastaja:
High-speed SPI needs some thought, like only route it on a PCB (no wires/connectors), route it as kinda-impedance controlled over a contiguous ground plane, and series terminate the signals at source, matching the impedance. For example, if you assume the CMOS Rds_on to be 20 ohms, and add 33 ohms in series, then calculate the trace width for 53 ohms impedance, given you know your stackup (distance to the ground plane). Remember vias from the IC ground leads to the ground plane near the signal traces on both ends. And if you absolutely need to go through a connector, use ground-signal-ground-signal scheme, and try to work out the characteristic impedance of the wire by googling or from the geometry, so you can match the PCB tracks and series termination resistors to the wire impedance.

Of course, just minimizing the bus length to a few cm is easier and then all of this does not matter.

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: hans on September 25, 2022, 10:09:36 am ---Read the docs, which says not to write to TxBuffer space while a TCP packet is transmitted. However, I'm not sure why. I think they don't want you to change the Tx WR pointers while a packet is in transmission. But why should the buffer space be inaccessible? I suppose they would use dual-port RAM to have the Ethernet packet engine and SPI engine operate independently.. So I went ahead and implemented this dual process anyway.

The old code was:

--- Code: ---        while(1) {
            // check for available space
            do {
                fsr = le2be(SpiW5500_Read<uint16_t>(s0, 0x20));
            } while (fsr < sizeof(myPacket));

// write packet
            myPacket.data[0]++;
            SpiW5500_Write<Packet1K>(s0tx, wp, myPacket);
            wp += sizeof(myPacket);
            SpiW5500_Write<uint16_t>(s0, 0x24, le2be(wp)); // Tx WR pointer

// transmit packet
            SpiW5500_Write<uint8_t>(s0, 1, 0x20); // Command: Send

// wait till transmit is done
            do {
                ir = SpiW5500_Read<uint8_t>(s0, 2); // Rd IR (SendOK = 0x10)
            } while ((ir&0x10) == 0);
            SpiW5500_Write<uint8_t>(s0, 2, 0x1F); // Clr IR (SendOK = 0x10)

--- End code ---

This first checks for free space, then writes new 1K packet, and transmits it, which is sequential and slow.

New code does not:

--- Code: ---        while (1) {
            fsr = le2be(SpiW5500_Read<uint16_t>(s0, 0x20)); // Rd Tx freespace
            ir  = SpiW5500_Read<uint8_t>(s0, 2); // Rd IR
            if (!hasWritten && fsr > sizeof(myPacket)) { // write packet when space is available and it wasn't done so
                myPacket.data[0]++;
                SpiW5500_Write<Packet1K>(s0tx, wp, myPacket);
                wp += sizeof(myPacket);
                hasWritten = true;
            }
            if (ir & 0x10) { // Check if triggered: SendOK = 0x10, which arms the send command
                SpiW5500_Write<uint8_t>(s0, 2, 0x10); // Clr IR (SendOK = 0x10)
                canSend = true;
            }
            if (hasWritten && canSend) { // new data written & send armed => set new pointer and transmit
                SpiW5500_Write<uint16_t>(s0, 0x24, le2be(wp));
                SpiW5500_Write<uint8_t>(s0, 1, 0x20); // Command: Send
                hasWritten = false;
                canSend = false;
            }
        }
--- End code ---

This code works fine. No TCP retransmits or weird issues to be seen in Wireshark, and the packet counter is working normally.

For tests, socket 0 has maximum buffer space (16KiB). Throughput went up from ~27.8Mbit/s (old code, SPI clock of 43.75MHz) to 37Mbit/s (new code).

When I change packet size to MTU (1472bytes), the throughput peaks at 28.1Mbit/s (old) and 38.4Mbit/s (new).
Improved SPI driver (without STM32 HAL overhead): max 28.75 / 39.3Mbit/s respectively.

All throughputs were measured in user space with a small python socket script.

That last test translates 90% throughput of the SPI bus clock to application throughput. That's a nice promise for designs that can get up to 70 or 80MHz SPI clocks. (which hopefully I can when I fix the board-to-board connectors).

Not sure why I see so many benchmark figures of this chip with lower numbers. Obviously SPI bus is a bottleneck (this STM32H7 has a FIFO, so with CPU cycles it doesn't need DMA to saturate the SPI bus), but if you DMA that it combined with this 'trick' it should be a matter of maximizing the SPI clock.

--- End quote ---

This is because indeed most of them are made with rather low SPI clock and no double buffering at all. As you mentioned, the docs say not to do double buffering actually, so probably people just stick to that advice. Or maybe they just don't know any better anyway. But of course maximizing SPI clock and filling the TX FIFO while the chip is transmitting rather than wait for it to complete are the only ways of maximizing throughput. No way around it.

The more concerning point IMO is not so much that simple users do not manage to maximize throughput but that the vendor itself does not either apparently. :-DD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version