Author Topic: Arduino IDE internal structure  (Read 3382 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Arduino IDE internal structure
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »
Can someone point me to a description of how the internals are organized?   I'm looking for a short detailed description of things like linker search paths, preprocessor symbol definitions, where libraries and header files  are located,  file and directory naming conventions, etc.

All I could find with google was novice level stuff.  During my active career I had to sort out the structure of million line code bases which at the time I took responsibility for them  could not be compiled.  So I started with several thousand files on disk.  In some cases I did not even have a list of the programs, so I had to start by identifying the main programs among all those files.  Just getting a clean compile with all warnings set took 6-9 months.

The Arduino IDE makes me nervous because it hides a lot of the critical details from the user.  That's appropriate for its intended user base, but poses significant extra work as it means I might have to read all the Arduino IDE source to understand how to fix some libraries.

I just received the USA Cal Club 2 kit.  I *think* I've fixed the bug in the Tempduino code which appears to have been caused by the Arduino IDE not doing what the syntax of the void loop() function implies per the C++ standard on my bookshelf.  Hence my concern.  Was the bug a gcc bug or an Arduino bug? In this case, it appears that initialization of automatic variables was *not* being performed each time loop() was called.

In the process of reading the Tempduino code I saw a  large number of latent bugs in some libraries which accompanied it.  Most especially failure to test return codes.

Thanks,
Reg

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Arduino IDE internal structure
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:17:03 pm »
It gets pretty deep but the compiler is in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin

Most of what you want is in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr

You can actually find the search paths that the compiler uses by

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin>avr-c++ --help

and then learning which options will print what you want to know.  -dumpspecs will print out more than you ever want to know.

If you just wander around the Arduino directory tree you can find the answers to most of your questions.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:39:52 pm »
Can someone point me to a description of how the internals are organized?
its just normal structure that complies to C/C++ rules? just look inside the arduino folder its all in there. the structure is pretty organized imho from looking on the surface compared to most of the codes in public github etc.

All I could find with google was novice level stuff.
what do you mean by novice and not novice? the not novice is to disassemble the linker (gcc)? or the arduino.exe? i'd rather be a novice..

The Arduino IDE makes me nervous because it hides a lot of the critical details from the user    ....   Was the bug a gcc bug or an Arduino bug? In this case, it appears that initialization of automatic variables was *not* being performed each time loop() was called.
its not that difficult compared to other libraries that i've tried to understand. you may start with "..\Arduino**\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\main.cpp" thats where main() { setup() ... loop() } is... and then just follow the rhythm (#include and functions call) from there. thats why i stick with WinXP and its search engine, excels in this kind of job (search files *.c/cpp/h/hpp with keywords ie function name).

but poses significant extra work as it means I might have to read all the Arduino IDE source to understand how to fix some libraries.
what do you expect? trying to understand a middle level complexity structure of most codes/libraries in github or public internet is a nightmare, zero documentation... doxigen is next to useless, imho. this arduino as it meant to be... simple...

In the process of reading the Tempduino code I saw a  large number of latent bugs in some libraries which accompanied it.  Most especially failure to test return codes.
not testing return codes is not necessarily a bug. we need to trace the (route or code execution) possibilities from start to the end if we want to decide if its a bug or not.. sometime it is sometime its not (bug not in the route) what we really need is a software for "code organizer" or "tree or relational view" to look back and forth quickly and effectively between functions/files/classes/definitions etc without losing the current reality. its been discussed before but the suggested SW never hit to my liking... i have in mind but dont have time anymore to develop such software, if i really get serious i'll just hit and open my diy "Library Manager" SW, very very less than ideal, but it can show something a bit such as file dependency. ymmv.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:44:15 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 04:40:43 pm »
Thanks.  That ought to take care of most of it and the rest should be pretty simple.  It would be nice if people had a better grasp of the importance of communicating with other programmers, but, alas, they do not.

The Gnu crowd keep changing the rules just because they can which gets *really* annoying if you're firmly entrenched in the Bell Labs Unix tradition and understand that changing the command line options breaks things and causes huge headaches for admins in enterprise scale environments. Especially if you need to restore a file some senior manager deleted by mistake and  discover that you don't have backups because some program quit setting the exit code correctly and the script that some admin wrote 10 years ago is misled into thinking that everything worked as intended.

If it were not for Cygwin, I would not even attempt to work on software under Windows.  I looked at some Windows native code once and promptly ran away screaming.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 04:49:27 pm »
I just received the USA Cal Club 2 kit.  I *think* I've fixed the bug in the Tempduino code which appears to have been caused by the Arduino IDE not doing what the syntax of the void loop() function implies per the C++ standard on my bookshelf.  Hence my concern.  Was the bug a gcc bug or an Arduino bug? In this case, it appears that initialization of automatic variables was *not* being performed each time loop() was called.
Can you give an example? Because an elementary bug that would break almost all code is not very likely.

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 05:10:14 pm »
not testing return codes is not necessarily a bug. we need to trace the (route or code execution) possibilities from start to the end if we want to decide if its a bug or not.. sometime it is sometime its not (bug not in the route) what we really need is a software for "code organizer" or "tree or relational view" to look back and forth quickly and effectively without losing the current reality. its been discussed before but the suggested SW never hit to my liking... i have in mind but dont have time anymore to develop such software, if i really get serious i'll just hit and open my diy "Library Manager" SW, very very less than ideal, but it can show something a bit such as file dependency. ymmv.

Not checking return codes is a latent bug waiting to bite the user.  I've had to fix hundreds of them. Tracing the  execution paths is NP hard.  The problem generally goes under the rubric of "Turing's halting problem" in the computer science literature.

My introduction to Unix, C and X11 was a 5000 line graphics code written by Rock Ottolini at Stanford.  It had two comments which read  /* handling special cases */.  I used the standard Unix utilities to build caller-callee tables and all manner of other structure analysis from scratch in a couple of weeks.

But that program had all the files in a single directory with a Makefile, so the system dependencies were minimal.  My intern task was to fix a byte order issue in the X11 based graphics program which I completed in 6 weeks.

For the benefit of @andersm

If
Code: [Select]
  while( true) {
     int a = 0;
    // some stuff

}

does not set a to zero *every* time it runs it will break all code.  It appears that the Arduino IDE has an issue doing that properly because the bug I am working on was:

void loop(){

double a = 0;
      float out;

for( i=0; i<max; i++ ){
          a += foo();
       }
       out = a / max;

// some stuff
}

which was overflowing because  a was *not* being reset to zero as it should.  All I did was to explcitly set a = 0 prior to the loop instead of relying on the compiler to do it.

Q.E.D
Reg

Online Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 05:54:55 pm »
which was overflowing because  a was *not* being reset to zero as it should.  All I did was to explcitly set a = 0 prior to the loop instead of relying on the compiler to do it.

Relying on the compiler to do it would be a programmer error. It's not a compiler problem, unless you're talking about global variables. The language does NOT initialize simple* local variables by default. Their value is indeterminate until assigned a value.

*Of course any type with a constructor defines its own initialization, or lack thereof.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 06:20:59 pm »
All I did was to explcitly set a = 0 prior to the loop instead of relying on the compiler to do it.
If you mean you added the "a = 0" assignment, then yeah. POD ("plain old data") variables with automatic storage duration are not initialized to any value by default. That's how C and C++ have always worked.

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/default_initialization

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 06:40:41 pm »
Right, automatic variables are NOT initialized by default in either C or C++.  Global or static variables are initialized ONCE to 0 by default.  Local variables are allocated on the stack and are not initialized.  These variables need to be initialized in code.  The loop() allocates any local variable on the stack so they default to garbage.  The following code does what is expected:
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  int i = 3;
  Serial.print(i);
  i+= 1;
  Serial.print(i);
}
Each time the loop() function is called, integer i is initialized to 3, printed, updated to 4, printed and loop() returns to the caller.  The output is exactly as expected ...3,4,3,4,3,4...

There are at least two levels of libraries being used in the Arduino environment:  Libraries specific to Arduino hardware and the Arduino infrastructure and the libraries from avr-libc which allow the GCC compiler to build code for almost any AVRs.

It is certainly possible to blow off the Arduino libraries and program the same hardware using just any old IDE plus the avr-gcc toolchain and the avr-libc libraries along with avr-dude to program the device.  Maybe toss in a Makefile here and there.  There is no reason in the world to be limited to the Arduino way of doing things.

Levels of trust:

Top:    GCC
Then:   avr-libc
Then:   Arduino libraries
Finally:User code

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 06:43:49 pm »
Automatic variables *are* supposed to be initialized if it is done in the declaration.  But I have not checked the fine print in the standards to see if that applies *every* time the function is called. 

Right now I have to get the cal club GPIB working.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 06:46:16 pm »

void loop(){

double a = 0;
      float out;

for( i=0; i<max; i++ ){
          a += foo();
       }
       out = a / max;

// some stuff
}

loop() is 'called' by another loop hidden in the Arduino code.  Since loop() is just a normal called function, local variables are allocated on the stack and not initialized by default.  Not a bug, not a mistake, just the way C and C++ have always worked.

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:19:33 pm »
I'm not an arduino user, but have used arduino for esp32 briefly.

Turn on verbose in preferences. Compile. In the output find the avr-size command line (will be at the end, so easy to find). Copy the whole line. Go to command prompt, paste that line, replace avr-size -A with avr-objdump -S , then read the disassembled code (redirect to a file to make it easier, open in text editor).

Find the main for( ;; ) loop somewhere- the loop() may end up inline. You will where those vars are initialized, and where the loop jumps back to.

Just looking at what I think is the dht library (google search to github), it appears the library will read only after 2 seconds elapsed from last read unless you provide the 'force=true' for humidity( provide 1 argument- true), and also for temperature (which also will require specifying the S arg which is a bool for C or F, so provide true, true or false, true).
https://github.com/adafruit/DHT-sensor-library/blob/master/DHT.cpp

That may not be what you are having a problem with, just thought maybe if you are not seeing updates as fast as you think should be, that could be a cause. (I am mind reading here of course, and assume your code example is trying to parallel the tempduino code).

edit-
and this is what I found for the tempduino code (which lead me to the dht code)-
https://github.com/TechUnboxed/Tempduino/blob/master/tempduino3/tempduino3.ino
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:32:34 pm by cv007 »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 08:11:57 pm »
Automatic variables *are* supposed to be initialized if it is done in the declaration.  But I have not checked the fine print in the standards to see if that applies *every* time the function is called. 
i think local variables with assigned values should be initialized with that values every time the function is called, when function exits, its local variables should go out of context (terminated or freed), and when called again, local variables will be allocated and initialized again and so on. so its a surprise if they are not re-initialized, maybe something else going on that needs investigation. maybe the variable is declared as static from behind or from some setting? its been a while sine i play C/C++ but some links will provide the point such as... https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42534977/c-declaration-and-initialization-variables-inside-while-loops
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 08:35:15 pm »
For embedded programs, there may be no purpose served in testing error returns.  What can you do about them?  Sure, there are many occasions where you might shut a process down but there are others where the error just isn't that important or perhaps it simply isn't feasible to shut something down.

It's a judgement call.  If you can't do anything about the error, there's no point in worrying (testing) about it.

If there is some kind of error output device (stderr) then maybe a message is about all you can do.  Deeply embedded processors may not have that feature.

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 08:40:43 pm »
OK  Here are the initialization rules.

The first page is from the C standard, the next 2 pages are from the C++ standard.

As for testing return codes, the programmer is supposed to determine what should be done if a call returns an error.  Not just blindly assume that everything is OK.  The user doesn't determine what to do.  The programmer does.  Failing to test retuirn codes in embedded software has *very* serious consequences.  It gets people killed!

Ask the families of people killed in a 737 MAX how they feel about errors in embedded software.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 08:40:55 pm »
i think local variables with assigned values should be initialized with that values every time the function is called, when function exits, its local variables should go out of context (terminated or freed), and when called again, local variables will be allocated and initialized again and so on.

That's exactly what happens and you can see this in the code I posted above.  if 'i' is not initialized in the declaration, it MIGHT be zero but it is probable that it is any other value.  I just tried removing the '=3' part and it just so happened that the value was 0.  But you can't count on it because it really isn't initialized by the language.

It would be fun to look at the assembly language output with and without the initializer.  Just to see what GCC thinks...

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 08:44:28 pm »
OK  Here are the initialization rules.

Bullet 5 of the first document says it all.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 09:07:01 pm »
Ask the families of people killed in a 737 MAX how they feel about errors in embedded software.

We don't fly airplanes with Arduinos.  We don't develop life-safety applications with open source software (I hope!).  But if the manufacturer farms out the programming to people who don't know how airplanes work, it won't matter what tools they use.

In the nuclear business we had similar issues.  Once a program was certified correct, the code and the hardware it ran on were locked in place for the duration.  That gets problematic as hardware falls off the end-of-life but that's the way it works.  Nobody wants to go through the certification process just for giggles.

The Apollo Guidance Computer is an example of programming excellence:
https://newatlas.com/apollo-11-guidance-computer/59766/

Online mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 09:35:37 pm »
Failing to test retuirn codes in embedded software has *very* serious consequences.  It gets people killed!

You sure enjoy your hyperbole.  Failing to check a return code in an Arduino project is much more likely to either have no consequences at all, or it could make someones flashy LED program misbehave.  The chances of a bug in an Arduino program causing death is somewhere between slim and none, and slim's out of town.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 09:43:36 pm »
As for testing return codes, the programmer is supposed to determine what should be done if a call returns an error.  Not just blindly assume that everything is OK.
maybe the original programmer had tested all conditions and decided everything should be ok and removed error checking code? is what you assumed "blindly assume". until proven otherwise. have you checked the code and found possible bug? and its predicted misbehaviour?

The user doesn't determine what to do.  The programmer does.  Failing to test retuirn codes in embedded software has *very* serious consequences.  It gets people killed!
it depends... it may gets people killed, it may not. it may has *very* serious consequences, it may not, depending on situation.

the answer will always be "bad". but dont try to put one situation to another consequence. compromise can be made in one situation where in other situation it cant. ask anybody how they feel if someone kills a person, the answer will always be bad. but does that mean, someone kills an insect is also bad? another example... there's a muslim group terrorist attack in a bar killing few people, thats bad! conclusion, every muslim is a terrorist... plain ridiculous ;)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 09:44:13 pm »
Software should be written correctly no matter what it runs on whether that is a supercomputer with a petabyte of DRAM or an embedded system with 128 bytes of SRAM and 2 KB of flash.  It is the responsibility of the programmer to attend to all those details.  I have a single standard of programming, the very best I know how to do.  Others are free to do as they please.

Shortly after I started using C and Unix I wrote as an amusement a small program which passed variables between functions by exploiting the layout of the stack.  That was 30 years ago.

The MIPS R2000 based DECstation and the Sparcstation 1 had just appeared.  I spent a *lot* of time explaining to very senior scientists with PhDs from the very best schools that  section 8.3.5 of the FORTRAN 77 standard  says "upon return from a function or subroutine, NAMED COMMON may be undefined".  My copy of the standard is MIA at the moment, but there is more verbiage about the scope of variables which are local to a function or subroutine which is closely related.

Although I have never found supporting documentation, I am quite certain that that language was inserted in the standard at the behest of Burroughs so they could use automatic variable allocation in the FORTRAN 77 compiler for the 5000 series which was the first stack based computer.

But I spent a lot of time telling people who came to me for help to add SAVE statements to their code.

@rstofer provided a basic answer to my initial question.  If someone knows of a document with more details about the structure of the Arduino IDE, please send me a PM.  But at the moment I need to get my arms around EZGPIB, calibrate my  DMMs and a few of the voltage references and get the kit in the mail to the next person.  I feel very guilty every day I delay putting it in the post.

I'll be happy to discuss this stuff later, but for now I must refrain from further participation in this thread.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 11:16:13 pm »
simple test to show uninitialized var-
void loop() {
  uint8_t a[64];
  SREG = a[22];
}
//this is the loop- the stack ( a[64] ) is previously setup but not initialized, so you get whatever value happens to be at Y+23
// 1c4:   8f 89           ldd     r24, Y+23       ; 0x17
// 1c6:   8f bf           out     0x3f, r24       ; 63

but do this-
void loop(){
  uint8_t a[64]= { SREG };
  SREG = a[SREG];
}
and you will get the a[64] (on the stack) initialized to 0 every time through (and a[0] is set to the SREG value). I will not post to objdump asm code, but it is as I describe.

The avr compiler seems to sometimes use r1 (0) for an uninitialized var that has no value assigned (yet), but its not anything to rely on. I would imagine each compiler may act differently. The arm gcc compiler seemed to ignore using the uninitialized var at all when running a couple tests. Maybe it makes a difference what kind of storage the var uses- register/stack, and maybe the compiler writers eventually end up in a grey area.

K&R 1.10 - Because automatic variables come and go with function invocation, they do not retain their values from one call to the next and must be explicitly set upon each entry. If they are not set, they will contain garbage.

You also have 'float out;' which is also uninitialized, but in this case harmless. For reliable code, just set the initial value.

If you turn on all warnings in arduino preferences, you would see something like-
/tmp/arduino_modified_sketch_202087/sketch_jul19a.ino: In function 'loop':
/tmp/arduino_modified_sketch_202087/sketch_jul19a.ino:6:14: warning: 'a[22]' is used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
   SREG = a[22];
which would have pointed out your uninitialized vars as potentially being a problem (hence the warning, but not an error). I wouldn't ignore any warnings, even if 'harmless' in a specific instance (you simply cannot keep track of which ones are harmless, so make them all go away).

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:27:18 pm by cv007 »

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 09:37:16 am »
I *think* I've fixed the bug in the Tempduino code which appears to have been caused by the Arduino IDE not doing what the syntax of the void loop() function implies per the C++ standard on my bookshelf.

Oh yeah, the "Tempduino" code, everyone knows about that. I keep a copy of it right here. And the well-known "Arduino IDE" C++ compiler. Yeah, that's a thing!

Wait, no, I've no idea WTF you are talking about. What I am getting is that you are a programming genius but nevertheless got butt hurt by a bug in someone else's code. (You of course have never written bad code in your whole life  ::)).

It would be nice if people had a better grasp of the importance of communicating with other programmers, but, alas, they do not.

How about you start first?  :-DD
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Online Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 06:08:38 pm »
Use of terminology suffers here. The IDE is not the compiler. It's also not the libraries, although in this case it includes library tools.

IDE = Integrated Development Environment. Basically a fancy editor. They call command line tools for the actual compiling, linking, and crossloading. The Arduino IDE is no exception. With a little research, you can set up any of the more generalized IDE's to do the same thing. Or you can do the whole thing at the command line, either by hand or with makefiles. You're on your own making makefiles, of course. You can use the IDE verbose output to determine exactly what command lines it's actually using.

Command line tools are distributed in hardware/tools/avr/bin, including avr-gcc and avrdude, among others. They take the usual --help tag. Everything you need is there.

If you don't like the setup/loop construction, just write your own int main() function to replace the weakly bound one provided:
/*
  main.cpp - Main loop for Arduino sketches
  Copyright (c) 2005-2013 Arduino Team.  All right reserved.

This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
  License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
  version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
  Lesser General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
  License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301  USA
*/

#include <Arduino.h>

// Declared weak in Arduino.h to allow user redefinitions.
int atexit(void (* /*func*/ )()) { return 0; }

// Weak empty variant initialization function.
// May be redefined by variant files.
void initVariant() __attribute__((weak));
void initVariant() { }

void setupUSB() __attribute__((weak));
void setupUSB() { }

int main(void)
{
        init();

initVariant();

#if defined(USBCON)
        USBDevice.attach();
#endif

setup();

for (;;) {
                loop();
                if (serialEventRun) serialEventRun();
        }

return 0;
}
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:13:39 pm by Nusa »

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 11:14:39 pm »
If you say

double a = 0;
the compiler certainly should initialize it. If it was declared "static", this should be done once. Otherwise, this should be done every time the function starts - as the variable is on the stack and doesn't even exist between function calls.

GCC does exactly that.

I suspect this is some sort of user error because the code posted doesn't compile and thus cannot be actual Arduino code.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf