Author Topic: Arduino vs. Arduino  (Read 82744 times)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
Re: Arduino vs. Arduino
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2015, 11:49:50 pm »
Just noticed there is a statement of sorts from Federico Musto http://arduino.org/blog/1-the-new-blog/to-the-makers
Fascinating read.

An awful lot of "Arduino®" on that page. I wonder if he is doing a little stab and twist?

Offline Richard CrowleyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2015, 11:54:08 pm »
Have Arduino.ORG said anything about starting an online forum (like http://forum.arduino.cc/)?
I was once in the top-10 of contributors in that forum (and the its predecessor).
But I picked up all my toys and left in disgust because of inept management.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2015, 12:22:26 am »
Have Arduino.ORG said anything about starting an online forum (like http://forum.arduino.cc/)?
I was once in the top-10 of contributors in that forum (and the its predecessor).
But I picked up all my toys and left in disgust because of inept management.
It will be a hard struggle to create a new user community. If you google for an Arduino problem you end up on arduino.cc
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2015, 12:59:47 am »
And as the fact that Arduino LLC apparently let Smart Projects file a trademark, and then stop payments, without doing much about it, I wonder how the court view that. Technically, Smart Projects own the trademark, and have been selling "Arduino" boards without a legal challenge by the LLC until now. I would have expected cease and desist letters to everyone selling "illegal marked" boards. Arduino LLC are obviously amateurs, and it shows.

The interesting thing here is that Smart Projects put on their very own packaging "manufactured under license to Arduino LLC", and a photo is in the court papers.
But yes, Arduino LLC didn't do enough to control or stop this guy, and seems to have had a very laissez-faire  attitude until they finally sued, amateur hour indeed.

Then I additionally discovered the history of Wiring and Arduino - Barragan's and other's work, and there are some unanswered questions over Banzi's role as supervisor, then later exploiting the student's work.

On the surface it seems that it was open source, so Massimo was certainly within his rights to go and form a company to build a market from that. And they have always attributed Wiring et.al as is expected.
I guess the only question is here is why (if he didn't) invite the Wiring guy to join the party.

It's because there is now a valuable business, that the founders can afford a legal fight.

They don't have the money to win it unless the defendant folds or runs out of money.

In the meantime, even according to Banzi, we should pursue "business as usual".

I think a lot of people won't want to support either side now and will move to just buying clones.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2015, 01:05:40 am »
Just noticed there is a statement of sorts from Federico Musto http://arduino.org/blog/1-the-new-blog/to-the-makers

Wow, they are clever, pitching themselves as always having been the Arduino company, even though all they have ever been is the contract manufacturer (Manufacturing in their own words "Under license to Arduino LLC", and 1/5th of the original founders.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2015, 01:08:44 am »
The Wiring guy did ask the Arduino to join up or something but was met with silence.

Online igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2015, 08:42:37 am »
even though all they have ever been is the contract manufacturer

Not "contract manufacturer", but "those who turned an idea into reality"  :-DD
Kind of like Foxconn always being the true iPhone company.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2015, 08:48:17 am »
Not "contract manufacturer", but "those who turned an idea into reality"  :-DD
Kind of like Foxconn always being the true iPhone company.

Good analogy!

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2015, 10:37:53 am »
There should be some news coming soon about the future of arduino.cc - My hands are tied to say exactly what.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2015, 12:15:08 pm »
There should be some news coming soon about the future of arduino.cc - My hands are tied to say exactly what.

*licking lips*

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2015, 12:32:32 pm »
those who turned an idea into reality

Very cleverly worded, as it can mean anything from "contract manufacturing" to "full engineering".
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2015, 01:38:23 pm »
those who turned an idea into reality

Very cleverly worded, as it can mean anything from "contract manufacturing" to "full engineering".
But in the same line they clearly admit it is not their idea!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2015, 03:34:20 pm »

http redirect to .org or vice versa?  >:D >:D >:D

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2015, 04:16:49 pm »

*licking lips*

On the Arduino forum about a week ago there was a rumor of an "imminent" announcement - nothing yet. It seems negotiation is going on, even if a decision is not reached.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2015, 04:41:01 pm »

My bet is the bar they used to drink at turns out to be the rightful trademark holder and that they are announcing a new line of IOT coasters with blinky LEDs.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2015, 05:27:49 pm »
My bet is the bar they used to drink at turns out to be the rightful trademark holder and that they are announcing a new line of IOT coasters with blinky LEDs.

Me ---> :-DD

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »
@EEVblog This whole thing could make for a good rant if you need content and dare to step into that snake's nest (not sure I would)...

In any case I think a retrospective, after we know the outcome, would be really interesting.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2015, 10:35:13 pm »
@EEVblog This whole thing could make for a good rant if you need content and dare to step into that snake's nest (not sure I would)...
In any case I think a retrospective, after we know the outcome, would be really interesting.

Yes, I was holding out the other side side of the story, which we now kind of have with the slippery-smiley response from the smart projects CEO.
It's a mess though, and requires a lot of research before flying off the handle about it I think.
All I know is that the losers are the community, and if they aren't careful, both companies will find themselves alienated from the community and/or out of business.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:12 pm »
Actually as I write it seems to me to be a rich topic more suited to an Amp-Hour.

I just found this http://www.theamphour.com/242-cant-we-all-just-get-arduino-tardiloquent-trademark-tirade/. Currently playing.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2015, 11:17:46 pm »
I just found this http://www.theamphour.com/242-cant-we-all-just-get-arduino-tardiloquent-trademark-tirade/. Currently playing.

I wouldn't recommend it, that was 30 minutes of me ranting completely incoherently. I don't think anything sensible came out at all!

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2015, 11:26:46 pm »
I wouldn't recommend it, that was 30 minutes of me ranting completely incoherently. I don't think anything sensible came out at all!

No worries, I'm entertained. It's 00:24 AM so this not-so-serious friendly talk suits me fine!
The 'portalab' thing also had me googling and churning on ideas. No sleep for me tonight...

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2015, 09:52:28 am »

*licking lips*

I'm going to modify that.  Now I'm told it seems it didn't happen/delayed for the foreseeable future. (something about lawyers - blah, blah, blah blah....)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2015, 10:02:13 am »
I'm going to modify that.  Now I'm told it seems it didn't happen/delayed for the foreseeable future. (something about lawyers - blah, blah, blah blah....)

As expected. Both companies will go bankrupt fighting this. Too bad for them.
Perfect opportunity for someone to come along and take advantage of the mess.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2015, 10:09:48 am »
I'll add (and this is only my guess - not anything I know) is that arduino.cc has to play the part of the "wounded bird" from now till it's resolved to make their case stronger.  It's beginning to smell more like a divorce preceding then a trademark issue.

Online igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2015, 10:43:43 am »
Anyway, the Arduino-Formerly-Known-As-Smart-Projects don't waste time releasing new boards and shields. I wonder how much of that is "inspired by" something the other guys did before the fighting started, or was planned specifically as part of the fight. It looks like they're trying to get a strong foothold in the maker world, fast.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf