Author Topic: Ardunino on SAML21?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline mrpacketheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Ardunino on SAML21?
« on: February 22, 2019, 06:16:46 am »
Does anyone know if the Ardunio environment has been ported to the SAML21 processor family?
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
Re: Ardunino on SAML21?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:39:44 am »
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:03:15 am »
The SAML21 seems "more different" from a SAMD21 than you'd expect from the part numbering.  (as is the SAMC21.  Curse you Atmel and your part numbering!)(although with a quick glance it looks like the only thing that would affect the Arduino "core" is the ADC differences?)

Offline jackthomson41

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 03:21:17 pm »
Nopes there's no Arduino bootloader designed for SAML21, why don't you work on real arduino ?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:38:01 am by jackthomson41 »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 03:49:30 pm »
These guys offer an "Arduino compatible bootloader" on a board which supports the various SAMx21 flavors:
https://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/mt-d21e.html

@jackthomson41,
I noticed a burst of posts from you on multiple threads, although you don't seem to have much to add to any of the topics. Are you working towards a high post count in preparation for posting commercials and spam, or just because it feels so good?  ???

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

Offline mrpacketheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 01:24:04 am »
These guys offer an "Arduino compatible bootloader" on a board which supports the various SAMx21 flavors:
https://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/mt-d21e.html

@jackthomson41,
I noticed a burst of posts from you on multiple threads, although you don't seem to have much to add to any of the topics. Are you working towards a high post count in preparation for posting commercials and spam, or just because it feels so good?  ???

How much work is involved with porting ardunio to a new platform board?  ( I've never really used ardunio except for a few hours of messing with it. ). I'm working with a newish Chip from microchip ( ATSAMR34 ) which is a a SamL21 plus a radio chip.    While i'm quite happy working with the development environment i'm using, i do appreciate that its much tougher than ardunio.. It does look like it can be ported to a L21... 
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 08:02:06 am »
How much work is involved with porting ardunio to a new platform board?
Well, that depends.  It's generally pretty easy to get a compile and some of the basics working.  And then there's this LONG tail of getting all the other (harder) things working, with (if you "release") a never ending list of complaints that some relatively obscure library doesn't work...  (for example, there's still a fair amount of complaint that Arduino Due didn't get all of the attention that it deserved, and the stuff that Adafruit customers are discovering doesn't quite work on SAMD51 keeps getting added to.)
While i'm quite happy working with the development environment i'm using, i do appreciate that its much tougher than ardunio.
Arduino is frequently easier because you can just go out and find code that someone else has written that will be pretty close to what you want to do.  That won't be true, if you're using your own core for some outlying chip, and mostly working on some obscure peripheral...
That said, I find that the Arduino core is "not awful" in terms of what it "abstracts."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf