Author Topic: ARM debugger, any recomendation?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ARM debugger, any recomendation?
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:39:16 pm »
I am using the debugger half of this NXP dev board and a 10 pin SWD cable to debug LPC M0 LPC11Uxx boards (hobby projects at home).

http://www.nxp.com/demoboard/OM13014.html

It is cheap but works well with LPCXpresso (my IDE of choice), I can single step and C and machine code level, set breakpoints, etc.  I noticed though that there are other debuggers that cost much more than this one so probably they have some advantages.

Is there a reason for me to get a more expensive debugger? If so which one and what would be the benefits?

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
Re: ARM debugger, any recomendation?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:05:46 am »
Are you debugging non-NXP targets?

Are there licensing requirements with your debugger that would prohibit using the debugger for production purposes, and are said requirements enforcable in your jurisdiction?

Do you need it to go any faster? Are there features offered by the other debuggers (HW breakpoints, etc) that you can use?

Does it work OK for you?

If no, no, no, no, and yes, then it's just fine for you.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:53:57 am »
Are you debugging non-NXP targets?

Are there licensing requirements with your debugger that would prohibit using the debugger for production purposes, and are said requirements enforcable in your jurisdiction?

Do you need it to go any faster? Are there features offered by the other debuggers (HW breakpoints, etc) that you can use?

Does it work OK for you?

If no, no, no, no, and yes, then it's just fine for you.

NXP only for now, not doing commercial projects.  I wouldn't mind faster operation. Will a more expensive debugger be significantly faster?  What models should I look for (let's say up to $100-200).

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 06:40:33 am »
For hobby projects the Segger J-Link Edu is hard to beat. Lots of features and wide support of various manufacturers. The Edu version is very reasonably priced but with the limitation that it is only allowed for non-commercial projects.
https://www.segger.com/j-link-edu.html
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:15:11 pm »
For hobby projects the Segger J-Link Edu is hard to beat. Lots of features and wide support of various manufacturers. The Edu version is very reasonably priced but with the limitation that it is only allowed for non-commercial projects.

yep, i suggest it, too  :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:49:42 pm »

Thanks, found it on digikey. 

Is this an old design? It uses an arcane USB connector, instead of micro or even mini USB.

Also, my board uses a 10 pin SWD connector.  Does it come with an addapter from the 20 pins connector to the 10 0.05" SWD connector?

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:08:27 am »

Is this an old design? It uses an arcane USB connector, instead of micro or even mini USB.
Arcane? USB-B is pretty standard. Yes, this is the current product.

Also, my board uses a 10 pin SWD connector.  Does it come with an addapter from the 20 pins connector to the 10 0.05" SWD connector?
No. Adapters to 20pin/14pin/10pin .1" and 2mm can be had for under $5 on eBay or aliexpress. But that doesn't include .05". I made my own adapter cable from .05" to .1". Maybe someone else has a cheap resource / the correct search terms for an adapter board or cable for this situation.

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 04:45:53 am »

As noted the B connecgor on the Segger is not arcane, it is the original standard connector. Mobile phones and similar are too low in profile to allow its use so the mini and micro have been introduced. But the standard is most solid so should be used if there is no reason not to.
As far as i can recall the unit comes with a 10 pin JTAG cable only. There is a selection of adapter cables but i have just made my own. Largely i have standardized on the Tag-Connect footprints that save a lot of board space.
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 08:05:53 pm »
For hobby projects the Segger J-Link Edu is hard to beat.

The NXP LPC-Link2 is just as fast as the Segger J-Link and costs about one third as much. It comes with Segger J-Link firmware that can be downloaded to the board to make it functionally identical to a J-Link.

http://www.nxp.com/demoboard/om13054.html

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EA-XPR-200/EA-XPR-200-ND/4040895
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf