Author Topic: ARM Development on Mac OS X?  (Read 28880 times)

Offline kc8apf

• Regular Contributor
Re: ARM Development on Mac OS X?
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2015, 08:14:18 am »
While not officially supported, the LLVM shipped with Xcode is capable of producing ARM M profile binaries.  I know a few teams at Apple use this because they can get bugs fixed quickly by walking down the hall.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2015, 12:55:54 pm »
There is likely a material distinction between "someone is using that tool" and "lots of people are using that tool".
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2015, 03:48:46 pm »
While not officially supported, the LLVM shipped with Xcode is capable of producing ARM M profile binaries.  I know a few teams at Apple use this because they can get bugs fixed quickly by walking down the hall.

Mac OSX is also a popular platform for developing C++ code for Android ARM devices.

Example (around the 13:00 mark)

https://youtu.be/RJiocrkn2Z8?t=801

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2015, 09:32:50 pm »

All the 'traditional' (read : been around since the 70's) tool providers have nothing .

Ah, I see. If you didn't grow up with them, they're not good enough.
Look , we can keep dancing around this until we have a long grey beard.
old, new. doesn't matter.

go to all the ARM processor suppliers. look at the tools they provide (whether their own or 3rd party) and make a list. MACos will be slim pickins ...
go to all processor manufacturers for that matter. ARM 8051 , Renesas , Freescale , whatever. Look at the availability of native MacOs based tools.

Go for it. prove me wrong ! Show me a list of macos tools for those things, so the next time someone asks me if there are any , i can answer yes and give them the list.

TI is doing Code Composer Studio for OS X now, including their own compiler, RTOS support tools, debugger tools, etc.

People had been hammering them in the forums for *years* about bringing the stuff over to OS X and this year they finally started doing it.

The thing is, there's a whole generation of engineers 30 and under who grew up during the resurgence of Apple. We want OS X tools and the companies are finally starting to get the message.

Over the next 10 years, you'll start seeing more and more OS X/Linux tools come out. Companies that don't provide them will become irrelevant.

Just because you're old and set in your ways doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't moving forward. ;)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2015, 03:00:00 am »
Anything non-GUI really should just be a recompile away from being able to run on any os. So there're really no reason that the FPGA companies couldn't release their compilers , place&routers and whatnots for linux, osx or even android...

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2015, 04:03:53 am »
Microchip supports MacOS for its PIC compilers and MPLABX IDE.

I think it's a serious mistake to  ignore open-source compilers and tools that run equally well on unix/linux/windows/macos.  A lot of people use these (yes, even "real, commercial devlopers".)   Also, a lot of SW gets built on some sort of back-end server farm (of largely irrelevant "flavor"), with the per-engineer interaction done on "whatever the engineer wants, because engineers are weird and get upset when you try to make them use tools that they don't like."

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2015, 07:16:47 am »
The thing is, there's a whole generation of engineers 30 and under who grew up during the resurgence of Apple. We want OS X tools and the companies are finally starting to get the message.

Over the next 10 years, you'll start seeing more and more OS X/Linux tools come out. Companies that don't provide them will become irrelevant.

Just because you're old and set in your ways doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't moving forward. ;)

That's what we need. ARM development environment made by and for millennials, with social media integration of course. I am tired having to tweet manually each time my project links successfully.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2015, 07:35:38 am »

That's what we need. ARM development environment made by and for millennials, with social media integration of course. I am tired having to tweet manually each time my project links successfully.

We could go one step further and just pipe all compiler generated messages straight to Facebook.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2015, 11:37:44 am »

TI is doing Code Composer Studio for OS X now, including their own compiler, RTOS support tools, debugger tools, etc.

Thanks - had not noticed - now installed on my OSX dev machine - one less reason to start Parallels :) when I'm out. And no more retina sizing issues on Parallels :) even better.

It is a beta 2 - but enough maybe to really work multi platform.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2015, 06:33:36 pm »

Thanks - had not noticed - now installed on my OSX dev machine - one less reason to start Parallels :) when I'm out. And no more retina sizing issues on Parallels :) even better.

It is a beta 2 - but enough maybe to really work multi platform.

Yes, still a beta and still not 100% up to Windows, but it's come a long way in the last 8 months! The initial beta release only supported a few MSP430 chips and no TI-RTOS! Now they've got XDC and tons of other stuff.

Honestly, the best thing to come of it for me is that they've ported a ton of emulation drivers over, which means I can now program stuff like the CC2650 (which is a CM3 BTLE MCU) from OS X now. (Before, the only thing stopping me was a single DLL file...)

Also, if you haven't taken a look at TI's web based tools, they're pretty nice. It's Code Composer Studio in the Cloud, basically. It's a full IDE+Debugger+Device Programmer that runs right in your browser.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2015, 08:00:13 pm »

Yes, still a beta and still not 100% up to Windows, but it's come a long way in the last 8 months! The initial beta release only supported a few MSP430 chips and no TI-RTOS! Now they've got XDC and tons of other stuff.

Honestly, the best thing to come of it for me is that they've ported a ton of emulation drivers over, which means I can now program stuff like the CC2650 (which is a CM3 BTLE MCU) from OS X now. (Before, the only thing stopping me was a single DLL file...)

Also, if you haven't taken a look at TI's web based tools, they're pretty nice. It's Code Composer Studio in the Cloud, basically. It's a full IDE+Debugger+Device Programmer that runs right in your browser.

yes - thanks for the info - but web based tools are not my cup of tea. :)

and I use CC26xx as well plus RTOS - Very versatile little things. :)  Now we just need the tools (RF & Burner)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2015, 09:43:51 pm »

yes - thanks for the info - but web based tools are not my cup of tea. :)

and I use CC26xx as well plus RTOS - Very versatile little things. :)  Now we just need the tools (RF & Burner)

Yes they are! I love the little Sensor Controller that's on the newer chips; I'm still waiting for an OS X version of the Sensor Controller Studio, at the very least they should release the compiler by itself.

Online free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2015, 12:50:42 am »

We could go one step further and just pipe all compiler generated messages straight to Facebook.
Codebook. Facebook for coders
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf