Author Topic: ARM-USB-TINY-H JTAG programming of MSP430G2553.  (Read 933 times)

Offline mindentropyTopic starter

• Contributor
ARM-USB-TINY-H JTAG programming of MSP430G2553.
« on: November 11, 2023, 07:39:10 pm »
The Olimex ARM-USB-TINY-H says it works with MSP430.  Is there some documentation on how to support MSP430 that I can use? I can add support to MSPDebug to include ARM-USB-TINY-H if needed. It has support for Olimex MSP-JTAG-TINY similar variants.

Offline fchk

• Regular Contributor
Re: ARM-USB-TINY-H JTAG programming of MSP430G2553.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 10:47:49 am »
Well, it says:

"Howdy, guys. I can't program my MSP430 and PIC16 boards with your robust debugger. I need help ASAP.
Technically, it is possible to program targets different than ARM using our OpenOCD debugger. Practically, almost all users use the debugger for ARM programming and only ARM targets are officially supported. There is a reason that the prefix in the name of the debugger is 'ARM-'."

Sounds a lot different than "works with MSP430".

There are some MSP430 with traditional 4-wire JTAG, but many only have two-wire Spy-Bi-Wire. They would need additional hardware.

You should use one of the official TI tools if you don't intend to spend litterally month of development time.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 11:53:56 am »
Precisely. If you are venturing in the MSP430 world, I would definitely suggest you to start with one of their Launchpad kits (one example) - a great start for development and its JTAG can even be easily wired to a custom board.

Also, Olimex themselves have a very cheap MSP430 programmer and debugger https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/JTAG/

I would stay away from the ARM programmer, unless you are looking at the MSPM0 family of products (Cortex M0 based)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 12:20:24 pm »
The Olimex ARM-USB-TINY-H says it works with MSP430.  Is there some documentation on how to support MSP430 that I can use? I can add support to MSPDebug to include ARM-USB-TINY-H if needed. It has support for Olimex MSP-JTAG-TINY similar variants.

How Olimex (MSP430) tools are supported today with TI PC side (MSP430.dll) that is not related to MSPDebug? MSPDebug is still updating, today?

There is MSP-EXP5529LP for 16$ that can be transformed to dual debugger using one USB cable. It is SBW only, but MSP Debug Stack is open source, and JTAG support (for LP onboard target device) can be easily added. Working with newest version of TI PC side without issues.   

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 05:23:53 pm »
@fchk and @rsjsouza: I forgot to add one more detail. I am trying to learn more about JTAG step by step i.e. learning how to send different commands, analyzing it on a LA etc. Since the FT2232 supports USB to JTAG and Olimex has made a decent board for it I thought I would use this to add support for the MSP430.

This is more about me learning about JTAG by adding support for the MSP430G2553 (Launchpad) which is a microcontroller I have lying around and cheap enough to buy a new one if something goes wrong.

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 09:07:41 pm »
This is more about me learning about JTAG by adding support for the MSP430G2553 (Launchpad) which is a microcontroller I have lying around and cheap enough to buy a new one if something goes wrong.

MSP430G2553 does not have JTAG interface, only SBW.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 08:38:44 am »
MSP430G2553 does not have JTAG interface, only SBW.

The screenshot of MSP430G2553 pinout shows JTAG pins and also the TEST pin which should be set high to enable JTAG function.

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 09:22:43 am »
The screenshot of MSP430G2553 pinout shows JTAG pins and also the TEST pin which should be set high to enable JTAG function.

You are right. My mistake.

BTW, MSP430 JTAG (and SBW) interface is covered by standalone open source (software and hardware) slau320...
https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau320aj/slau320aj.pdf

« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 09:28:13 am by josip »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf