Author Topic: ASR vs ASL and sign bit  (Read 2476 times)

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ASR vs ASL and sign bit
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:06:18 am »
If we do an ASR the sign bit remains unchanged, but if we do an ASL (same as LSL) the sign bit gets overwritten. Why is this allowed/meant to happen?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: ASR vs ASL and sign bit
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 01:11:43 am »
If you left shift a data word so that it overflows, the result is inevitably wrong. Whether it has the right sign or not is a rather moot point.
Many ISAs do not have separate opcodes for logical and arithmetic left shift. This means that there are 3 shift opcodes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:16:58 am »
If you left shift a data word so that it overflows, the result is inevitably wrong.
True, but if the sign bit got pushed into the carry bit you could deal with it. But if the sign bit is trashed even when there is no overflow...
Talking about 'HC908 BTW.

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 02:40:01 am »
If you left shift a data word so that it overflows, the result is inevitably wrong.
True, but if the sign bit got pushed into the carry bit you could deal with it. But if the sign bit is trashed even when there is no overflow...
Talking about 'HC908 BTW.
Check it before!?

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 03:08:33 am »
If the sign bit changes as the result of a left shift, it is an overflow by definition.
The instruction table (Table 8-1) of the 68HC908 data sheet is not completely helpful in this regard:
Its entry for ASR (arithmetic shift right) shows the V (overflow) bit and N (negative) bit as being set or reset according to the result, but arithmetic right shift never overflows (the sign bit always remains the same). So the V bit should say 0 (always reset) and the N bit should say - (never changed). This makes the difference between ASR and ASL clearer.

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 06:44:52 am »
Actually I think I’m starting to get it now. Left shifting anything greater than -63 will cause an overflow.

-63 or less will have msb (bit 6) as 1 so after left shift it will then occupy bit 7 position and look like a sign bit. I think...

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 07:54:24 am »
... and don't forget, ASR is not the same as divide by 2!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:01:29 am by hamster_nz »
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 08:49:05 am »
I se that as divide by two, with rounding towards the lowest value (not the lower absolute value).
IIRC, it's specified like that in ANSI forth, but cannot check now.

EtA: This is one of the things that changed between C89 and C99, in the former standard the result was implementation defined, so an asr could well be the implementation for /2, in the latter rounding towards 0 is specified.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:33:20 am by newbrain »
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 09:44:53 am »

It's close.

You can follow the C standard correctly by adding 1 before shifting, if and only if the number is negative. In other words, unconditionally add the sign (leftmost bit).

On a machine like RISC-V with fast large shifts but no condition codes you can do it like:

Code: [Select]
srli tmp,x,63
add x,x,tmp
srai x,x,1

On a machine with slow or only single bit shift, but with condition codes you can do it like:

lsl tmp,x,1
adc x,x,0
asr x,x,1

If you've only got a single accumulator, e.g. 6502, then you need to juggle a little:

tax
asl a
txa
adc #0
asr a

gcc on x86_64 chooses the first method even though it has a carry flag.

Any of these is going to be massively faster than doing a real divide, even if it's not just a single instruction.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:47:17 am by brucehoult »

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 01:25:14 pm »
If you've only got a single accumulator, e.g. 6502, then you need to juggle a little:

It depends on the CPU. For example, PIC16 has a single accumulator, but you don't need to juggle

btfsc a,7
incf a,f
asrf a,f

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 02:01:07 pm »
mm..
PIC16 base/midrange core (PIC16Fxxx) doesn't have any arithmetic shift.. it only has RRF/RLF, ROTATE through carry.
PIC16 enhanced midrange core (PIC16F1xxx) does have arithmetic right shift (ASRF), which preserves the MSB.. and it also has LSLF/LSRF
Strange enough, PIC18 doesn't have shift instructions instead, only rotate instructions

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 02:40:11 pm »
PIC16 base/midrange core (PIC16Fxxx) doesn't have any arithmetic shift.. it only has RRF/RLF, ROTATE through carry.

These don't have any shifts at all, so you would have to manufacture ASR and bust WREG:

rlf a,w
rrf a,f

Strange enough, PIC18 doesn't have shift instructions instead, only rotate instructions

Microchip design decisions are often ... strange :)  PIC18 is an example where Microchips didn't think well about many things.

Offline DJohn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 02:58:56 pm »

tax
asl a
txa
adc #0
asr a

Sadly, the 6502 has no asr.  This is the best I can do:
cmp #128
adc #0
cmp #128
ror a

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 12:22:42 am »

tax
asl a
txa
adc #0
asr a

Sadly, the 6502 has no asr.  This is the best I can do:
cmp #128
adc #0
cmp #128
ror a

Oh, bugger, you're right! :-(  6800 has asr but its nephew the 6502 only has asl (where it doesn't matter) and lsr.

It's over 35 years since I actually programmed those in assembler.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf