Author Topic: ATmega 328P decoupling capacitor layout in Eagle  (Read 12432 times)

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: ATmega 328P decoupling capacitor layout in Eagle
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 12:07:08 am »
It also mentions something about keeping the AGND plane seperate from the GND and connect only at one point (ideally close to the source of ground).I have attached a screen shot of the layout as it is at the moment (incomplete).
Don't bother with separating ground planes. More likely you'll do worse rather than better, unless really understanding what you are doing. What are your ADC performance requirements? If not high, you may not bother with filtering AVCC. If you don't use ADC, then don't bother with additional AVCC filtering at all.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
Re: ATmega 328P decoupling capacitor layout in Eagle
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 04:08:57 am »
keeping the AGND plane seperate
The separate analog ground plane is something you don't particularly need to worry about until you have additional analog components in your design.  If the analog inputs of your AVR were attached to some analog amplifiers and external analog muxes and stuff like that, you'd want those components and the analog pins of the AVR to share a ground plane that was isolated from your digital circuitry.  Since the average Arduino analog connection is some sort of questionable jumper wired plugged into a flakey socket leading to a surplus component on a breadboard, getting too paranoid is unlikely to be needed.  You have to keep in mind the overall accuracy and goodness of your design; I laugh inside when people whine about needing more than a 10bit A2D, but are using 1% resistors...  (there are times when this is NOT silly, but still...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf