Author Topic: ATTiny 1604 fan module, please criticize  (Read 2620 times)

Offline rgloryTopic starter

• Contributor
ATTiny 1604 fan module, please criticize
« on: May 10, 2021, 01:21:39 am »
Hi folks,

Here is my project - ATtiny 1604 based fan controller - it can use 2/3/4 pin fans and control them based on temperature - https://gitlab.com/rglory/tinyfan . Please criticize.

Thanks,
Slava
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:32:05 am by rglory »

Offline iceblue1980

Re: ATTiny 1604 fan module, please criticize
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 09:51:15 pm »
Looks very close to what I'm looking to build but it's a bit more complex by the looks of it. Would it be possible to modify this circuit to only run 1x PWM fan, controlled by 10K Thermistor with an ability to define fan speed at temperatures stretching from 40 to 100 degrees C while keeping the PCB as small as possible?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 11:47:39 pm »
The board is quite small actually, you can use it without soldering extra components you do not need if you want. PCB can be smaller without them, but that requires redesign/retesting.

For example if you already have 5V you do not need U2 and components around it. If only need 10K thermistor you can replace R3 with 10K and not to solder R2 R10 and D3. If you only need PWM control you do not need U3 optocouple and Q2 mosfet etc.

But for such simple module I've seen some on ebay made in China, they quite cheap I beleive.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:57:11 pm by rglory »

Offline MarkR42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 10:09:01 am »
I think the schematic could use some comments and (more) net names.

It looks like you've got a buck regulator on there, which is fine, but I'd definitely want to show my workings (how resistor values are derived) so that I'll understand the design when I come back to it (regardless of whether someone else wants to review)

That's just my style though, I get confused if I don't try to explain myself to myself.

Offline MarkR42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 10:22:03 am »
General comments

Values for R8 and R9 are very unusual, you probably want to find more common values (e.g. E6 resistors)

Sensors J1, J2 - probably needs to explain what kind of sensor goes on there. It's also not absolutely clear why R1 exists (current limit I guess)

LED resistors (R5,R6) - the LEDs might be uncomfortably bright / have short life as they will be running close to their rated current, consider 1.5k for a still visible indicator with better longevity. Obviously this depends what LEDs you use and other things (such as if the device is intended for outdoor use).

You might want a comment on the range of VDC, and note what voltage ratings the various capacitors need (if VDC is much greater than 5V)

Capacitor C3 it is unclear why this needs to be an electrolytic, you might be able to use a ceramic. 16uF is an unusual value looks like it's come out of a calculator / automated design tool, consider putting a more standard value (e.g. 22uf)

The following users thanked this post: rglory

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 05:25:12 pm »
Quote from: MarkR42
It looks like you've got a buck regulator on there, which is fine, but I'd definitely want to show my workings (how resistor values are derived) so that I'll understand the design when I come back to it (regardless of whether someone else wants to review)
I got it from chip maker pdf - https://media.monolithicpower.com/document/MP2456_r1.01.pdf page 13, used values they recommended.

Values for R8 and R9 are very unusual, you probably want to find more common values (e.g. E6 resistors)
Those are from recommended schematics of buck converter maker. I am not experienced enough to modify their values. :(

Sensors J1, J2 - probably needs to explain what kind of sensor goes on there. It's also not absolutely clear why R1 exists (current limit I guess)
It is explained on git page (I think that explanation is clear, if not please let me know). It is either up to 2 digital DS18B20 thermometers or 1 HTC 100K or HTC 10K thermistors. Yes R1 limits current if somebody shortens that pin to ground.

LED resistors (R5,R6) - the LEDs might be uncomfortably bright / have short life as they will be running close to their rated current, consider 1.5k for a still visible indicator with better longevity.
Noted, will update. Thanks!

You might want a comment on the range of VDC, and note what voltage ratings the various capacitors need (if VDC is much greater than 5V)
It is described on git page - VDC is from 5V to 50V.

Capacitor C3 it is unclear why this needs to be an electrolytic, you might be able to use a ceramic. 16uF is an unusual value looks like it's come out of a calculator / automated design tool, consider putting a more standard value (e.g. 22uf)
Thanks, noted.

Sorry for the delay in my response, I appreciate your feedback.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 05:42:15 pm by rglory »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf