Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Released Today  (Read 15333 times)

Offline MrZwing

• Regular Contributor
  • Ohh! what does this button do? *click*
Re: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Released Today
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 07:17:16 am »
Yes, the Raspi is good for children and child-like (relatively speaking) adults. It is not, however, a good piece of hardware, and bolting on a few extra cores Broadcom found on a dusty shelf is not as big a step forward as they could have taken.

You forgot Beginners, since the Raspi community is large it's easy to get trouble shooting done quickly and find examples and book's.

i hope you don't represent the majority of oDroid C1 community with a attitude like that, sure the pi might not be better (haven't read about oDroid C1 yet) but you hardly get more users by calling them "child-like" but by "have you tried this? here is some link's to get started". I might have interpreted you wrong though i will probably get a Raspi to ply with but i will look at the oDroid C1 always nice to have more then one choice to play around with.

Offline paf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 11:03:53 am »
Sometimes the stability issues  are  power supply and/or mains interference related.  Use a good power supply for your boards.

Offline neil555

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2015, 01:55:57 pm »
I got mine yesterday but after playing with it for a few hours i was seriously underwhelmed, compared to my olinuxino a20 micro (same as Banana Pi) it felt slower and the lack of a SATA port and native ethernet seems like a really sad omission

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2015, 02:31:57 pm »
Did you use the four cores?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2015, 03:20:54 pm »
Yes, the Raspi is good for children and child-like (relatively speaking) adults. It is not, however, a good piece of hardware, and bolting on a few extra cores Broadcom found on a dusty shelf is not as big a step forward as they could have taken.

You forgot Beginners, since the Raspi community is large it's easy to get trouble shooting done quickly and find examples and book's.

i hope you don't represent the majority of oDroid C1 community with a attitude like that, sure the pi might not be better (haven't read about oDroid C1 yet) but you hardly get more users by calling them "child-like" but by "have you tried this? here is some link's to get started". I might have interpreted you wrong though i will probably get a Raspi to ply with but i will look at the oDroid C1 always nice to have more then one choice to play around with.

It's all Linux. There's really no need for the userspace environment to be any different.

And no, I don't represent any community, I don't have any of these boards.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2015, 08:32:34 pm »
Why shouldn't I comment that the Odroid has a proper interface? No, it won't sustain high throughput, but it is vastly higher performance than the USB crap on the Raspi.
The Raspberry Pi was released three years ago, long before 'young pretenders' such as the Odroid. At the time there was no cost effective alternative to the integrated USB hub and Ethernet controller.

buuulshiiiit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allwinner_A1X
at that time you could already buy $40 chinese android allwinter A13 tablets

Again we see the typical argument "It sells a lot, therefore it is good"...
A 'crap' product, to borrow a rather obnoxious and overused adjective, would not sell nearly five million units over three years, with steadily increasing volumes.

kardasians, beliebers, and 50 billion flies eating shit all agree with you.
Rpi wasnt good, it was merely good enough at the right price. It had numerous problems starting with SD interface, ending on disastrous USB stack with hardware bugs and limitations. There is no need for whitewashing.

Nor would it have received positive reviews from numerous very competent electronics engineers.

did it really? was I asleep when that happened? The initiative received positive feedback, not the closed source hardware.

Rpee is ok, but lets not all go crazy just because they merely upgraded cpu to be in line with chinese/korean boards.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 10:51:44 pm »
buuulshiiiit

But what happens to those Allwinner boards?, I bought an A20 Micro board from Olimex for some time ago, and after the first hype 6-9 months, there have been few updates to kernels and such.. so I have to learn to do it myself unless I want to use an old linux version (the android images did not work very well).

But the Raspberry I bought in may 2012 is still supported with new images every so often.

I wish I had the capability to maintain the a20, because I think that is a much more potent platform, with sata and all kind of stuff, but I don't have the time to dig through the sunxi forums to find out how..

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
buuulshiiiit

But what happens to those Allwinner boards?, I bought an A20 Micro board from Olimex for some time ago, and after the first hype 6-9 months, there have been few updates to kernels and such.. so I have to learn to do it myself unless I want to use an old linux version (the android images did not work very well).

But the Raspberry I bought in may 2012 is still supported with new images every so often.
how is android on your raspee?

I wish I had the capability to maintain the a20, because I think that is a much more potent platform, with sata and all kind of stuff, but I don't have the time to dig through the sunxi forums to find out how..

no one is forcing you to update every other day just for the sake of updating
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 11:05:20 pm »
no one is forcing you to update every other day just for the sake of updating
Depends on what you do with it. If you connect it to the bad outside www you better make damn sure you have the recent openssl security patches installed.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2015, 11:16:12 am »
It's clear that Raspberry Pi team used Broadcom SOC, not because it was technically appropriate, but because they have strong links with Broadcom who support the project and provide cheap access to the SOC (ie. staff employed by Broadcom in senior role). The Broadcom SOC was basically an old smartphone chip I believe.

It's also clear that Raspberry Pi has built a large user community, the reason for that I believe is that RPi captured early mindshare due to access to the media, in particular the BBC, because one of the RPi team worked with the BBC on the BBC Micro project. Add to that "it's for charity"/"think of the children", and it all took off.

I also believe that a large number of sales go to commercial/industrial users who couldn't care less about the charity aspect, they just see a cheap Linux board they can stick in products.

As we have seen numerous times, the products that succeed may not be technically good, but succeed based on price and marketing.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf