Author Topic: BDI2000 Firmware  (Read 10333 times)

Offline bodger73Topic starter

BDI2000 Firmware
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:59:09 am »
Hi All,

Does anyone have the firmware for the arm9 version of the Abatron BDI2000?

I have scoured the web and tried emailing the US reseller USI without any response. Abatron who originally produced it have long since ceased trading and there doesn't seem to be a repository anywhere still active with the software still on it.
The only place I could find it is on a Swiss university website, and you need to be on their intranet to download it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: BDI2000 Firmware
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:47:08 pm »
Hi All,

Does anyone have the firmware for the arm9 version of the Abatron BDI2000?

I have scoured the web and tried emailing the US reseller USI without any response. Abatron who originally produced it have long since ceased trading and there doesn't seem to be a repository anywhere still active with the software still on it.
The only place I could find it is on a Swiss university website, and you need to be on their intranet to download it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
If you're referring to the inf004.ntb.ch server, that has a public IP, but it isn't responding on the common ports. Maybe you could ask them?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:38 pm »
Not long ago I replied to a very similar question about a BDI2000. I have a pod here, but unfortunately the supplied CDs I have do not not contain any supporting software. Searches around the internet are completely void.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fohdeesha

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 07:03:07 am »
sorry for the bump, but for anyone needing it, I did eventually track down arm9 firmware for the bdi2000, just PM me. I do however need the PPC400 (b20pp4gd.exe) firmware, if anyone can help me out
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 07:07:37 am by Fohdeesha »

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 01:27:31 pm »
--
Carl

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 02:45:14 pm »
Me too. I have to debug the firmware on a couple of PPC405GP boards.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:51:19 pm by legacy »

Offline Mrt12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 04:10:08 pm »
me too. I have two of those boxes, one I got from scrap and another one I got from a former employer. Both seem to work but I don't have the user manuals or the PC software. Would be awesome to use them for MC68332 (CPU32) or ARM! any cham
nce to get the software?
I have a whole bunch of MC68332 here which I would like to use some day for a retro-microcontroller project. In fact, the '332 was the first micro I have ever used and I learnt assembly programming on those (with AS32 and BD32 under DOS!).

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 06:06:12 pm »
me too. I have two of those boxes, one I got from scrap and another one I got from a former employer. Both seem to work but I don't have the user manuals or the PC software. Would be awesome to use them for MC68332 (CPU32) or ARM! any cham
nce to get the software?
I have a whole bunch of MC68332 here which I would like to use some day for a retro-microcontroller project. In fact, the '332 was the first micro I have ever used and I learnt assembly programming on those (with AS32 and BD32 under DOS!).
Check the link I just posted.
--
Carl

Offline Mrt12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 08:00:12 pm »
awesome. That seems to work! tomorrow I have to check that out more in detail.
Do you happen to have a copy of bdipro as well? SOMEWHERE on my pile of USB harddisks, backups of old computers and the like, I have one, but no luck to find it so far.

It would be nice to do again some little project with the 68332, which is a nice processor - and with the BDI, which allows for debugging, it is more fun :-)

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 09:31:32 am »
awesome. That seems to work! tomorrow I have to check that out more in detail.
Do you happen to have a copy of bdipro as well? SOMEWHERE on my pile of USB harddisks, backups of old computers and the like, I have one, but no luck to find it so far.

It would be nice to do again some little project with the 68332, which is a nice processor - and with the BDI, which allows for debugging, it is more fun :-)

Hi. I don't have anything, sorry. I went on a bit of a mad search for mpc5xx debugging stuff (BDM) the other night, back to my BMW motorbike Bosch DME stuff. I can already read/write it no problem with clone ECU tools, but I wanted something to dig into the RAM while it was running. It's hard enough finding old tools, and then finding the right ones (e.g. Lauterbach .. can't see the 7722 module for sale), and then making sure you can find software that will work with them. The PE Micro stuff (Multilink FX) is affordable, until you realise each feature is another $200.. $200 to flash, $200 to debug, etc. So I think with the above software, I should be OK with the bargain I just got on a couple of BDI2000s from America.

I don't even know what bdiPro is! but it sounds like it's just for reading/writing flash.
During my search, one of the useful pages and discussions I came across was from Fohdeesha who is right here in that post ^^^ up there (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/bdi2000-firmware/msg2439984/#msg2439984 ) on the Servethehome site, and his own website, where he de-bricks a 10GbE ethernet switch. I think by the looks of it you can do all the flashing you want with gdb, without bdipro.

Anyway if you do find your copy, please send it across. And if anyone wants the above archive in future and is disappears, I have taken a copy of all the files/directories there.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:42:42 am by carl0s »
--
Carl

Offline Mrt12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 09:57:09 am »
I KNEW for sure I had something, somewhere!
Last night I hooked up some old disks I had from previous PCs and found some stuff.
Mostly CPU32 related, there is also a BDI software. It looks like it is for BDI1000, but I think I had used it once with BDI2000 also and it worked.

Here is the link:

https://hb9fsx.ch/files/cpu32/

I continue checking more of my old stuff. Somewhere is more, I know it :-)

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 05:10:39 pm »
I have finally got around to looking at this BDI2000 device (I have two of them actually.. cheap deal), and, I'm still a little stuck.

I think the above files from xdel.ru do not include the firmwares or JEDEC files that are needed, apart from possibly the Coldfire MCF and COP (PowerPC 6xx/7xx/82xx/83xx/7400/7410) versions, which seem to have .xxd files

The rest seem to just be the configuration tool.

It's possible that mine are already correct for my target device, but it'd still be useful to have all the proper tools.

Well, I can at least confirm that one of my BDI2000s has something half useful on it, but not quite. I need mpc562, not 860. Also, the GUI tool from xdel.ru (version 1.02) doesn't seem to set/read the IP address, but the command-line bdisetup.exe does seem to at least read it properly, and gives more useful info:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\Carl\Downloads\bdigdb\downloads\bdigdb\setup>bdisetup
Usage of BDI setup program V1.27:
bdisetup -v [-pP] [-bB] [-s]
  -v  Read current versions
   P  Port (/dev/ttyS0) or IP address
   B  Baudrate 9, 19, 38, 57 or 115
  -s  if present, exit loader and start firmware

bdisetup -e [-pP] [-bB]
  -e  Erase firmware and logic

bdisetup -u [-pP] [-bB] [-aA] [-tT] [-dD]
  -u  Update firmware and/or logic
   A  Application type STD,GDB,ADA,TOR,ACC
   T  Target type: PPC400,MPC500,MPC5500,PPC600,PPC700,MPC800
                   MPC7400,MPC7450,MPC8200,MPC8300,MPC8500,PQ3,P2020,MPC8641
                   ARM,ARM11,ARMSWD,ARMV8,SWDV8,XSCALE,MIPS,MIPS64,XLS,XLR
                   CPU32,MCF,HC12,MCORE,P3041,P4080,P5020,QP3,QP4,QP5
   D  Directory with the firmware/logic files

bdisetup -c [-pP] [-bB] [-iI] [-hH] [-mM] [-gG] [-fF]
  -c  Program network configuration
   I  BDI IP address e.g. 100.100.100.100
   H  Host IP address
   M  Subnet mask (default: 255.255.255.255)
   G  Gateway IP address (default: 255.255.255.255)
   F  Configuration file name

C:\Users\Carl\Downloads\bdigdb\downloads\bdigdb\setup>bdisetup -v -pCOM6
BDI Type : BDI2000 Rev.C (SN: 93219530)
Loader   : V1.05
Firmware : V1.09 bdiGDB for MPC8xx/MPC5xx
Logic    : V1.02 MPC8xx/MPC5xx
MAC      : 00-40-49-fa-21-95
IP Addr  : 192.168.1.33
Subnet   : 255.255.255.255
Gateway  : 255.255.255.255
Host IP  : 192.168.1.10
Config   : mpc860.cnf

As long as I can make it just pull a new .cfg from TFTP, without altering the FW & Logic (JEDEC), then I should be OK with this one. My other one is a rev .b - not sure what the difference is.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 05:31:24 pm by carl0s »
--
Carl

Offline nathana

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 06:56:04 am »
I am in a similar situation, & looking for the complete QorIQ (P3/4/5) firmware for BDI2K ("b20qp4fw").  It's unclear to me whether the loader/configuration tool is enough or whether I also need the xxd file, which is missing from that .ru site posted earlier...any help would be much appreciated!

Offline nathana

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 09:30:50 am »
Still looking for help.  :-[

After looking more closely at the .xxd files on that .ru site, I realized that they are just the .exe files simply passed through the xxd command.  :palm:  They aren't JEDEC or firmware files at all.  Not sure what the point of those files is.

Although there are slight differences between each of the .exe loader/config files, it does not appear (as far as I can tell) that they have either the firmware or logic/JEDEC files embedded in them.  They aren't standalone and the firmware and logic files are still necessary to utilize them.  I'm not sure why Abatron felt the need to build separate .exes for every target platform/firmware type, especially since for *nix they just give you the source code for a firmware loader & config tool...

Anybody?  I believe the files I need for my rev. C unit are b20qp4gd.### or perhaps b20qp4fw.### (firmware), and copjed21.### (logic), where ### is the firmware or JEDEC version number (not xxx or xxd...an actual sequence of numbers, like 105 == 1.05).

Thank you, kind soul(s)...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:33:54 am by nathana »

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 02:04:28 pm »
I think you're going to need to try to find a contact at ntb.ch.
I actually did send an email to Fabian, but unfortunately I didn't get a response.

In my case I am lucky, because the BDI2000 has the correct FW for my target (mpc5xx), so I just need to use the config tool and put a cfg etc on a tftp server.
--
Carl

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 06:35:28 pm »
I am still randomly working on my serial-to-bdm adapter with a SP3 FPGA. It's designed to support CPU32.
Current status 70% completed. It's a decent solution, not brilliant, but it does its work. Then I will have to write the full software ... therefore this will take more more time.

Anyway, in the meanwhile, I haven't yet found a BDI2K with firmware &misc.

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 10:03:27 am »
I am still randomly working on my serial-to-bdm adapter with a SP3 FPGA. It's designed to support CPU32.
Current status 70% completed. It's a decent solution, not brilliant, but it does its work. Then I will have to write the full software ... therefore this will take more more time.

Anyway, in the meanwhile, I haven't yet found a BDI2K with firmware &misc.

I seem to remember reading in the Motorola docs a simple diagram for a parallel interface.
I'm not sure how the one in the docs could be so simple though, as I have ended up (by accident) with a rather more complicated looking parallel oh wait, it's serial, interface from H.M.I
I wonder what software I could use with this thing?

--
Carl

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 05:36:53 pm »
I seem to remember reading in the Motorola docs a simple diagram for a parallel interface.

yes, I downloaded the the DOS program from the BBS. It's only able to program a flash via BDM on CPU32, you cannot debug with it, and there is no gui to export/import breakpoints from the outside.

I am able to run this stuff on a RiscPC/600 with a x86 guest board with an LPT-to-BDM-CPU32 cable attached to the target, but I do prefer using the "cougar" board, which consider of a MOTOROLA hardware debugger released for the 332EVS module (codename "EVO", kind of business dev board, very expensive and hard to find, say 300 euro if you are lucky).

It talks over the serial, and I have reverse-engineered the protocol, because the control program was never released as source code, only binary, and only for DOS v3, and doesn't run on DOS >v4.

On my RiscPC/600 box I used a very old PC-DOS in order to grab the protocol's details, but now I am back to MSDOS v5.0, which is the best for other stuff, like Turbo Pascal v7, TurboC v3, Turbo Assembler v5, and Turbo Prolog v2 (yes, I am a Borland's fan).

I'm not sure how the one in the docs could be so simple though, as I have ended up (by accident) with a rather more complicated looking parallel oh wait, it's serial, interface from H.M.I
I wonder what software I could use with this thing?

Dunno if it's supporte by the DOS program "BDM32.exe",  but the Linux kernel driver was for kernel v2.4, semi-broken with kernel v2.5 (at the time, 2.5 was "experimental"), then semi-abandoned with v2.6 except for a dude who tried in his free time to resurrect that blasted stuff, but then felt so frustrated that he chose to abandon it again, and .. it got removed; hence with Linux you have to resurrect it from the scratch, and you also have to rewrite the gdb tap on the host side because even the BDM/CPU32 was removed 8 years ago.

For all of these reasons, I am on an indipendet project, which I run my my squad in the free time among other projects which have the priority in the roadmap.

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 05:38:58 pm »
I see a CPLD/FPGA in your cable, probably it implements a kind of "couguar" clone, or something similar that talks BDM to the CPU32, but I do not know what it talks on the host side.

Serial? Which protocol? LPT? Which mode? Which protocol? etc ... all missing information.

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 07:51:46 pm »
This is all the info I can find on it: http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/hmi/brochures/bmdspec1.pdf

To be honest, I think the BDI2000 might do for me, when I get chance to play with it. So much else to do :-/
--
Carl

Offline nathana

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 01:04:14 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't think they would be able to help me, even if I did manage to contact someone over there...the QorIQ P-series firmware is not even mentioned on their wiki/web site.  So I doubt they even have it.

This whole thing has been such an infuriating exercise!  I have tried all sorts of other things before winding up with this BDI2K, and now I can't even get this to work for lack of the proper stupid software!  Ugh!

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 02:02:39 am »

Unfortunately, I don't think they would be able to help me, even if I did manage to contact someone over there...the QorIQ P-series firmware is not even mentioned on their wiki/web site.  So I doubt they even have it.

This whole thing has been such an infuriating exercise!  I have tried all sorts of other things before winding up with this BDI2K, and now I can't even get this to work for lack of the proper stupid software!  Ugh!

I've emailed Andrey, the owner of Xdel.ru, to ask kindly if he has any firmware and JEDEC files to share. Will let you know if I get lucky :)

Although, he has a git repository for 'bdigdb' which says 'one time snapshot from the Albatron FTP'. I suspect the Albatron FTP didn't have the firmware or JEDECs for different architectures available to the public, since these were paid for add-ons.
https://github.com/xdel?tab=repositories
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:05:16 am by carl0s »
--
Carl

The following users thanked this post: nathana

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 07:08:52 pm »
I also became the proud owner of an Abatron BDI2000 ex eBay. No disks though. Want to dive into MPC860/XPC in Tektronix TDS3000 scopes with/via a BDM port. But also I am stuck as I cannot find these files as per the Abatron manual pdf that states:

The following files are on the diskette.
b20ppcgd.exe Configuration program (16bit Windows application)
b20ppcgd.hlp Windows help file for the configuration program
b20ppcgd.xxx Firmware for the BDI2000
ppcjed20.xxx JEDEC file for the BDI2000 (Rev. A/B) logic device when working with a MPC8xx/5xx target
ppcjed21.xxx JEDEC file for the BDI2000 (Rev. C) logic device when working with a MPC8xx/5xx target
tftpsrv.exe TFTP server for WindowsNT/ Windows95 (WIN32 console application)
*.cnf Sample configuration files
*.def Register definition files
bdisetup.zip ZIP Archive with the Setup Tool sources for Linux / UNIX hosts.

Looked at the russian ftp site, it has some stuff that works, I can do the b20**fw.exe that lets me talk to the bdi2000 via rs232, erase firmware worked, but loading new firmware - that's where i am stuck. So the specific files for the MPC8xx targets.

Is there anyone who still has these files, the floppies or CD's, as per the manual file ManGDBPPC-2000C.pdf?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:10:51 pm by sicco »

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 01:05:03 pm »
Found it. Well, not quite those files, but enough to get me going again. Found it in China at http://en.pudn.com/Download/item/id/641383.html where I first had to upload 5 files myself before I was allowed to download. So I did that.

Went through the hassle initially of linux via Cygwin and recompiling the bdisetup.c with gcc and all of that, but that was only half a success. But it helped me to understand the logic of firmwares for different CPUs and diffent boards, and BDI1000 vs BDI2000 versus BDI3000 and their incompatibilities. Gcc even spotted a nasty C programmer's bug, dumping 8 bytes into a 5 bytes memory space at line . Ouch!

So now let's see if I can read my flash roms in my TDS3034 scope...

zip file attached. with the original (c) notice from Abatron, but as they closed shop some years ago, i guess they won't mind too much that their good old hardware is still being used instead of being binned with all the environmental consequences from electronics waste in landfills or incinerators...

The following users thanked this post: amyk, Belgarath

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 12:03:41 pm »
all those links say that I downloaded them.. (carlfarrington) and I know I did go on quite a hunt, but apart from my copy of the xdel.ru site, I can't see anything else on my computer or FTP site. Anyway I found that one of my pair of BDI2000s had the firmware & logic for what I was looking for. Haven't been near any of it since.
--
Carl

Offline highfreq

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 06:30:58 pm »
Hello,

I see that someone found firmware for the PPC.  Does anyone have the firmware files for COP (mpc6xx/mpc52xx/etc)?

Thanks-

Offline Belgarath

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 08:03:47 am »
Hello,
New post, old question...
Abatron closed down, but unfortunately, it didn't help to release the firmware files for those old obsolete cpus.
I am looking for the PPC4xx firmware files for my BDI2000, would anyone kind enough to share this with the group ?
Best Regards,
François

Offline dtorrem

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2021, 11:51:04 am »
Hello,
I'd also like to get the firmware files for powerpc 4xx if possible.
Cheers.

Offline robimarko

• Regular Contributor
  • High Shool electronics hobbyst
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2022, 12:20:44 pm »
I got a BDI3000, unfortunately, it's a MIPS32 model so it only came with the FW for it and without PSU.
So, if anybody needs it please contact me.

Does anybody have the ARM Cortex FW?

Offline Njk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2022, 03:16:42 am »
BTW, my boxes reads:

Code: [Select]
>bdisetup.exe -v -pCOM2 -b115
BDI Type : BDI2000 Rev.C (SN: 94367926)
Loader   : V1.05
Firmware : V0.99 Firmware for PPC6xx/PPC7xx
Logic    : V1.02 PPC6xx/PPC7xx
MAC      : 00-0c-01-95-36-99

No idea if it's feasible to retrieve the FW from them. It's my sweet dream to find a FW for other architectures but it seems very problematic so far...

---
WBR

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf