Author Topic: BLACK STM32F4VET6 with Arduino IDE  (Read 1324 times)

Offline hussamaldeanTopic starter

• Supporter
BLACK STM32F4VET6 with Arduino IDE
« on: May 02, 2019, 06:48:27 pm »
Hi all,
recently, I got myself a new awesome uC which is BLACK STM32F4VET6 to design three phase SPWM inverter (challenge accepted) :box: :box:
here is a picture for the uC

anyway, I want to upload blink sketch but it turns out the USB is for power only and when I want to connect my FTDI to serial port, PA9and10 no success
is there anyway to upload the code ?
regards and thx in advance

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
Re: BLACK STM32F4VET6 with Arduino IDE
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 09:38:15 pm »
Here's some suggestion to get your board going:
  • If the board has no Arduino style bootloader, you won't be able to load a program through the IDE
  • All STM32s have an internal bootloader, capable of downloading a binary into the flash. This can be used to burn an Arduino like bootloader.
  • Specifically the STM32F407 bootloader can do that from USART1 and 3, CAN bus, or USB (DFU), see chapter 26.
  • The BOOTn pins need to be correctly set up for the bootloader to be activated.
  • For serial, a specific flasher must be run on the PC, and you can use more or less any USB to serial(3.3V levels) converter.
  • An alternative way is using an ST-Link (cheap clones abounds on the usual sites) connected to the SWD pins and the good old ST-Link utility, or the new STM32CubeProgrammer (which can also flash through serial or USB DFU)
  • Lots of information can be found on the STM32duino wiki.

A note: the USB pins on your board are connected, at least according to the schematic, and there's a quartz for the HSE so it should be capable to use DFU, once the BOOT pins are correctly set (see the relevant chapter 4 pattern 1 in the bootloader doc linked above: BOOT0 = 1 and BOOT1 = 0) and a suitable DFU utility is running on the PC.

I will refrain to comment on the choice to use the Arduino IDE. :rant:

EtA: links to the programming utilities and BOOT pins configuration.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:45:58 pm by newbrain »
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: harnon

Offline hussamaldeanTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: BLACK STM32F4VET6 with Arduino IDE
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 02:56:46 am »
Here's some suggestion to get your board going:
  • If the board has no Arduino style bootloader, you won't be able to load a program through the IDE
  • All STM32s have an internal bootloader, capable of downloading a binary into the flash. This can be used to burn an Arduino like bootloader.
  • Specifically the STM32F407 bootloader can do that from USART1 and 3, CAN bus, or USB (DFU), see chapter 26.
  • The BOOTn pins need to be correctly set up for the bootloader to be activated.
  • For serial, a specific flasher must be run on the PC, and you can use more or less any USB to serial(3.3V levels) converter.
  • An alternative way is using an ST-Link (cheap clones abounds on the usual sites) connected to the SWD pins and the good old ST-Link utility, or the new STM32CubeProgrammer (which can also flash through serial or USB DFU)
  • Lots of information can be found on the STM32duino wiki.

A note: the USB pins on your board are connected, at least according to the schematic, and there's a quartz for the HSE so it should be capable to use DFU, once the BOOT pins are correctly set (see the relevant chapter 4 pattern 1 in the bootloader doc linked above: BOOT0 = 1 and BOOT1 = 0) and a suitable DFU utility is running on the PC.

I will refrain to comment on the choice to use the Arduino IDE. :rant:

EtA: links to the programming utilities and BOOT pins configuration.
I completely forgot about BOOT0 pin and tried to upload directly just like arduino
force of habit :(
but now it does work and I blinked the two built in leds
it is a progress :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf