Author Topic: Can I get any ARM microcontroller dev board and its JTAG programmer <$40  (Read 1539 times)

Offline sangarTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi,

I am looking for ARM MCU dev board and its JTAG programmer and expecting them to cost me under $40...Please suggest if you came across them...

Thanks,
Muthu

Offline awde

Re: Can I get any ARM microcontroller dev board and its JTAG programmer <$40
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 09:18:31 am »
Any ST Discovery or Nucleo board. They both include snap-off ST-Link for debugging.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:31:56 am »
Also, see this discussion (not all of the boards mentioned include debug interfaces.  But many do...): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/list-of-cheap-arm-development-boards/

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 11:32:00 am »
Silicon labs Dev boards have built in segger j-link which can be used internally or with external device. Price eur 30+
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:33:34 am by wraper »

Offline richardman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 08:07:27 pm »
I am a big fan of the ST-Nucleo boards. They all have builtin ST-LINK/V2 and most are $15 or less. They come in 3 (or more) different sizes mainly depending on which MCU you choose. The pinouts are subset and superset of Arduino. Great way to evaluate any ST MCU.
// richard http://imagecraft.com/
JumpStart C++ for Cortex (compiler/IDE/debugger): the fastest easiest way to get productive on Cortex-M.
Smart.IO: phone App for embedded systems with no app or wireless coding

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 09:08:16 pm »
+you can use Seggers official tool to reflash ST-Link to become a J-link (and can be reversed using the same tool).

The limitations are that you are allowed to flash that stuff only onto a development board, only to use with STM32's (haven't actually tried if it even works with other brands' chips), and can't use it in production. None of there seem to be a problem for you, and J-link offers much better performance over ST-link.

Actually, you can get NUCLEO-H743ZI board for about 20-25€, and H743 is the most powerful ARM microcontroller on the market (400MHz CM7 with double precision FPU 1Mbyte RAM, 2Mbyte flash, shitload of everything you'll need and another 2 shitloads of stuff you'll probably never need :) )

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers/stm32h743zi.html

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 11:07:23 pm »
The limitations are that you are allowed to flash that stuff only onto a development board, only to use with STM32's (haven't actually tried if it even works with other brands' chips), and can't use it in production. None of there seem to be a problem for you, and J-link offers much better performance over ST-link.

I tried with Atmel SAMD and it didn't work. Ended up buying a j-link clone for $15 or so.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf