Electronics > Microcontrollers

Can Segger legally enforce J-Link EDU Mini restrictions?

<< < (9/9)

ataradov:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on March 01, 2024, 02:53:19 am ---How many of these software tools are actually officially supported by Segger?

--- End quote ---
What difference does it make? You are buying a very specific piece of hardware, it is on you to figure out if it will be useful in your case.

There does not have to be any Segger software at all, this does not prevent the sale.

zilp:

--- Quote from: ataradov on March 01, 2024, 02:58:25 am ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on March 01, 2024, 02:53:19 am ---How many of these software tools are actually officially supported by Segger?

--- End quote ---
What difference does it make? You are buying a very specific piece of hardware, it is on you to figure out if it will be useful in your case.

There does not have to be any Segger software at all, this does not prevent the sale.

--- End quote ---

Well, the question is whether you are buying just a piece of hardware. If the product that you are buying is described by the seller or manufacturer as having a certain set of featues, but those features aren't in the hardware, but rather in a piece of software that needs to be used in combination with the hardware, then what you bought probably isn't just the hardware, but also, in some way, a right to use that software.

What you bought isn't determined by what happens to be in the package, what you bought is determined by the contract, and the content of the contract is, among other things, determined by what the seller and manufacturer promised you about the thing that they were selling you.

GromBeestje:
That's an interesting question, what exactly is sold? Is it the piece of hardware, or the license to use the software? As the edu is the same hardware as the base, one could argue it is the software license, rather then the hardware, being sold.
If those products are being about the software license, would that mean these limitation don't apply when using third party software like OpenOCD with it?

zilp:

--- Quote from: GromBeestje on March 01, 2024, 08:59:16 am ---That's an interesting question, what exactly is sold? Is it the piece of hardware, or the license to use the software?

--- End quote ---

For one, that isn't mutually exclusive. You could be buying the hardware and a licence. But also, as Nominal Animal has already explained, you don't need a licence to use the software under EU copyright law. Chances are that you are buying the hardware and a copy of the software. And being a lawful owner of a copy of the software, you are allowed to use that copy of the software without requiring a licence.


--- Quote from: GromBeestje on March 01, 2024, 08:59:16 am ---As the edu is the same hardware as the base, one could argue it is the software license, rather then the hardware, being sold.

--- End quote ---

If the offer includes the hardware (and it isn't explicitly specified as being rented to you or something like that), then the hardware is part of what is being sold


--- Quote from: GromBeestje on March 01, 2024, 08:59:16 am ---If those products are being about the software license, would that mean these limitation don't apply when using third party software like OpenOCD with it?

--- End quote ---

That is almost certainly true anyway. Generally, if you enter into a purchase contract, you can't include any rules for what the new owner may or may not do with their new property, as that would effectively turn the property into not-really-property and thus the purchace contract into not-really-a-purchase-contract. I am not saying this is completely impossible in principle, in individually negotiated contracts, but almost certainly not for an off-the-shelf product, at least in Germany.

The only way I see how this construction would be legally enforceable would be if the contract is about a software licence and the purchase of a piece of hardware, in which case, the licence could specify almost arbitrary conditions for the use of the software, but the hardware still would be your property for you to do with whatever you want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version
Powered by SMFPacks Advanced Attachments Uploader Mod