Author Topic: CH32V003 - Hardware Fault Interrupt when using TIM2 periodic interrupt  (Read 1059 times)

Offline quevedoTopic starter

Hello MCU lovers

I am starting to experiment with RISC-V, so I decided to get some devboards with the CH32V003 MCU. As I am used to work with Eclipse, I decided to try the official MounRiver Studio IDE. I started with some basic polling UART, and then I moved to a periodical interrupt in TIM2 toggling a GPIO output with a LED.

I found an example code at: https://pallavaggarwal.in/2023/09/21/ch32v003-programming-gpio-as-output/

I made a few changes to toggle a LED inside the Timer handler, but when trying to run the code (in debug mode), a "Hardware Fault" exception is thrown when the Handler is called. I even removed all GPIO config, leaving the program like the original one, just adding a variable increment inside the handler (see attached main.c).

I checked the functions to configure the timer and the ISR, as well as the flag cleaning function, they look OK.

I see 2 hypotheses for the problem: either there is a software bug in the functions that I could not find, or there is a hardware bug in my MCUs (I tried running the program in 2 boards, same result).

Any ideas?

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: quevedo

Offline rhodges

• Frequent Contributor
  • Available for embedded projects.
    • My public libraries, code samples, and projects for STM8.
Re: CH32V003 - Hardware Fault Interrupt when using TIM2 periodic interrupt
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 11:10:43 pm »
I just added this to one of my programs:
Code: [Select]
void TIM2_IRQHandler(void)
{
}
And the resulting assembly language is:
00000276 <TIM2_IRQHandler>:
 276:   8082                    ret
You need to tell gcc that this is an interrupt handler. Something like this:
void SysTick_Handler(void) __attribute__((interrupt));
void SysTick_Handler(void)
{
    SysTick->SR = 0;

timer_ms();
    clock_ms++;
    if (clock_ms < 100)
        return;
    clock_ms -= 100;

timer_10();
}
Currently developing STM8 and STM32. Past includes 6809, Z80, 8086, PIC, MIPS, PNX1302, and some 8748 and 6805. Check out my public code on github. https://github.com/unfrozen

The following users thanked this post: quevedo

Offline quevedoTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 01:39:55 pm »
Prototyping the handler with the specification "__attribute__((interrupt))" just did the trick! Thank you!

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 02:15:47 pm »
Note if you're using the WCH MounRiver IDE and compiler, you should really be using __attribute__((interrupt("WCH-Interrupt-fast"))) instead.

Otherwise, if you use regular __attribute__((interrupt), while it will work, if HPE is not turned off (default is on with WCH startup code) then you'll get the CPU registers saved/restored twice in your ISR (once by HPE, once by code generated by the compiler), which is a waste of time.

Offline rhodges

• Frequent Contributor
  • Available for embedded projects.
    • My public libraries, code samples, and projects for STM8.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 03:02:06 pm »
Yes, I agree. In my case, I decided to use "any" gcc version and modified startup_ch32v00x.S to not enable HPE. This might be from code you posted.
/* Only enable nesting, not HPE */
    li t0, 0x2
    csrw 0x804, t0

I might enable HPE some day and use "naked" interrupt handlers, and end them with inline assembly "mret". This was discussed on another thread, and I think Bruce said it was dangerous. I would visually inspect the assembly output to verify them. But for now, I am staying with standard interrupt handlers.
Currently developing STM8 and STM32. Past includes 6809, Z80, 8086, PIC, MIPS, PNX1302, and some 8748 and 6805. Check out my public code on github. https://github.com/unfrozen

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf