Author Topic: Cheap PSoC4 progremmer  (Read 33114 times)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: Cheap PSoC4 progremmer
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 04:04:40 am »
Hello folks!

Yes, we have a brand new low-cost prototyping kit featuring not one, but two ARM Cortex-M3 PSoC 5LP devices on it - all for $10!
http://www.cypress.com/cy8ckit-059

One of the PSoC 5LP devices comes pre-programmed as a programmer and debugger for all ARM-based PSoCs. You can snap-away this end of the kit and continue using it as a debugger.
We plan to open-source this firmware, so the community can add to it and turn this low-cost kit into a universal ARM SWD debugger.

This kit is expected to ship mid-April, stay tuned! :)

Any news on the PRoC 4 BLE remote control and mouse dev kits?

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 04:13:25 am »
Moving away from the UART bootloader in the devkits is a major win. The $4 PSOC4 boards tend to be a big PITA when they self-reset every 12-14 seconds when the bootloader is used.

Online westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:14 am »
Don't forget: 5V I/O.  I've been a bit surprised that Cypress hasn't been getting more positive comments because of that.

(OTOH, I remember PSoC5 chips being vaporware for a long time after they were first announced, so ... not perfect.)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 09:18:34 am »
(OTOH, I remember PSoC5 chips being vaporware for a long time after they were first announced, so ... not perfect.)
They did discontinued the PSoC5 and replace them with the PSoC5LP, I guess they did have problems with the first inception of the chip. But the 5LP has been pretty solid since and definitely not vaporware, but not cheap.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 09:39:54 am »
Yes, we have a brand new low-cost prototyping kit featuring not one, but two ARM Cortex-M3 PSoC 5LP devices on it - all for $10!

I'm searching everyday on Farnell to see if it's getting there, but no luck.
Is there no other ways of shipping from you other than $25 Fedex?

Offline CypressPSoC

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 05:17:40 pm »
Hello folks!

One of the PSoC 5LP devices comes pre-programmed as a programmer and debugger for all ARM-based PSoCs. You can snap-away this end of the kit and continue using it as a debugger.
We plan to open-source this firmware, so the community can add to it and turn this low-cost kit into a universal ARM SWD debugger.

This kit is expected to ship mid-April, stay tuned! :)

Any news on the PRoC 4 BLE remote control and mouse dev kits?

The remote control and mouse dev kits should also be available for ordering in April
They will still be $49 each and will include the miniprog3!

Offline CypressPSoC

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 05:20:01 pm »

these kits are brand new, so our distribution partners have not picked them up as yet. You'll start seeing them appear in the regular distribution channels by mid-April or May, and they typically offer much better global shipping options.
Also, if you're able to reach out to a local Cypress sales rep in your area, they may be able to hook you up with kits locally too. www.cypress.com/sales

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 05:58:34 pm »

these kits are brand new, so our distribution partners have not picked them up as yet. You'll start seeing them appear in the regular distribution channels by mid-April or May, and they typically offer much better global shipping options.
Also, if you're able to reach out to a local Cypress sales rep in your area, they may be able to hook you up with kits locally too. www.cypress.com/sales

Yes, Farnell have very good price for shipping, about $7.5, the items are a bit more expensive, but not that much.

Offline mhelin

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 10:32:36 pm »
Yes, Farnell have very good price for shipping, about $7.5, the items are a bit more expensive, but not that much.

Farnell does not sell  to individuals (hobbyists or students), only to companies. There are shops that deliver your Farnell orders but they take (usually too much, in my country from 20% to 50% + VAT) extra in addition to already high Farnell prices.  It would be really nice if I were able to buy kits from Cypress shop with reasonably low cost postage (I have to pay VAT only if the value of order including postage is over 22 EUR, ~ $25). I don't know what it would take to change Farnell's policy, but I think manufactures of semiconductors and kits should really ask and demand for their representatives to do that.

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 10:34:35 pm »

Farnell does not sell  to individuals (hobbyists or students), only to companies. There are shops that deliver your Farnell orders but they take (usually too much, in my country from 20% to 50% + VAT) extra in addition to already high Farnell prices.  It would be really nice if I were able to buy kits from Cypress shop with reasonably low cost postage (I have to pay VAT only if the value of order including postage is over 22 EUR, ~ $25). I don't know what it would take to change Farnell's policy, but I think manufactures of semiconductors and kits should really ask and demand for their representatives to do that.

Where are you located in the world? I've ordered stuff in Australia and in France from element14 without any issues.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 06:55:05 am »
Same here, In Norway, Farnell does NOT sell to individuals, but I have an friend who is having an single-person company-thingy, so we are using that one together:)

Offline mhelin

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 08:14:50 am »
I live in Finland, so it might be the same for all Nordic countries (regarding Farnell/Element14 policies).

There's a specific thread on the subject here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/farnellelement-14-in-europe/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:17:05 am by mhelin »

Offline DajgoroTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • hackaday.io
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 08:31:13 am »
I have to go to a local company that does train/railway equipment to get farnell stuff.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 05:18:00 pm »
on top of that, when you live in Finland, you cannot order from Farnell UK for example. Farnell will only sell within the same country.
(and yes, the store content is different)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 06:01:54 pm »
How about other European retailers in the Cypress distributors list?
http://www.cypress.com/?app=distiInventory

You have Arrow, Silica, EBV maybe others in there.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 06:36:00 pm »
oh I'm fine ordering from Mouser, Digikey etc. I was just adding to the 'Farnell very different here'-story .

Now if only those other stores had any stock :)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 10:25:42 pm »
on top of that, when you live in Finland, you cannot order from Farnell UK for example. Farnell will only sell within the same country.
(and yes, the store content is different)

You ofcourse need to use this site; http://fi.farnell.com/
They still ship from uk, same as we in norway use no.farnell.com, and it comes from uk, but we cannot buy from the uk.farnell.com shop, this seems to be related to export regulations etc (ie, I could not buy an bluetooth kit from ST, but was no problem to buy the cypress equivalent for some reason, I also neede to fill lots of papers to buy an beaglebone)
but yes, not all stuff on uk.farnell.com is available at no.farnell.com, but it's just an email away, they fix it when you ask them.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 10:26:45 pm »
oh I'm fine ordering from Mouser, Digikey etc. I was just adding to the 'Farnell very different here'-story .

Now if only those other stores had any stock :)

But mouser/digikey have way more expensive shipping?, or cheap to finland?

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 08:16:50 am »
both digikey and Mouser have free shipping for orders > 65 EUR and there's always something you can add to the basket

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 10:22:56 am »
both digikey and Mouser have free shipping for orders > 65 EUR and there's always something you can add to the basket

Doesn't help for Norway, we have to pay tax and taxation fee on these orders since both are not based in Norway. Not so with Farnell, so it works kinda better.
(It seems like Digikey might be different, but not tried yet, I'm getting norwegian digikey snailmail.. )

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 12:34:49 pm »
Not sure if I gave the impression that I don't have to pay VAT on top of everything I order from Mouser/digikey. I sure do! :)
I think only Mouser offers DDP (i.e. all duties paid) when shipping with TNT, which only takes the hassle away, but not the cost.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 01:39:27 pm »
Not sure if I gave the impression that I don't have to pay VAT on top of everything I order from Mouser/digikey. I sure do! :)
I think only Mouser offers DDP (i.e. all duties paid) when shipping with TNT, which only takes the hassle away, but not the cost.

It's like this:
If I order from Amazon, Amazon collects Norwegian tax, so I don't need hassle later.
If I order from Adafruit or others that use USPS, I pay when it arrives in Norway to get the package, that is, (price of the goods+shippingcost+tax-fee(about $25) )+25% tax, so in the Amazon case, I pay less, because I pay tax on what I should pay tax on.
If I order from Farnell, I pay $7.5 in shipping, and 25% tax, and no tax-fee or other handlingfee that the postal services take.
If I order from Mouser etc that uses UPS/TNT/Fedex/DHL, It's similar to the USPS/Postal scenarion, except that the taxfee/handling fee is atleast the twice amount..

I'm not opposed to paying tax, but all the other fees that is put on top of everything..

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 05:53:31 pm »
It's pretty much the same here, with the exception that I can do the customs declaration online (they improved that serveice a great deal over the last 3 years). It's still a bit of a pain in the arse sometimes to find the correct TARIC codes etc but I can pay the import duties (and VAT) directly since the website integrates online bank access. I do have to wait for the arrival notice from the customs office so there is always a delay, unfortunately.

UPS just sends me an invoice a week later or so to collect the VAT for my Digikey orders. I don't actually think they charge any handling fees for that, the regular post office sure does. I'm near the airport in Vantaa and TNT/FedEx/DHL/UPS cargo are right next to it, that sure helps if I'm in a hurry to pick things up as I can just go there and pay at the counter.

The regular post office I think charges 10% of the value or minimum 10 EUR, if you let them do the declaration for you.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 03:20:29 am »
Seems like they are taking pre-orders for the CY8CKIT-059 PSoCĀ® 5LP Prototyping Kit

http://www.cypress.com/?rid=108038

Ordered 4 of them + $12 shipping within the US, because that's the cheapest they offer via FedEx and seems silly to pay $25 for next day on a pre-order and that was the only other choice.

Can't wait!!!!

Took a while but today I got an e-mail that my order was shipped.
But going on a business trip of unknown duration, so not sure when I'll get to try them out.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 04:19:49 am »
looks like the 5LP kit is in stock again, the availability changed sometime tonight: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=108038

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf