Author Topic: Cheap Virtex 5 FPGA Board (actually PrimeSense DevKit better known as Kinect)  (Read 24289 times)

Offline tinheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Cheap Virtex 5 FPGA Board (actually PrimeSense DevKit better known as Kinect)
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 07:12:22 pm »
I'm trying to establish a JTAG communication with the board with no success(geting a message that there is no reference voltage on the JTAG..) so I checked the pins on the JTAG header and there's really no voltage at pin 2.. :)

sure, because not powered on

Checked the schematics and saw the two leds and push buttons WL1,WL2 and SW1,SW2.
When I connect 5v to the 5v jack, I'm getting the WL2 led glowing red and that's all, WL1 is off..
When I'm trying to press SW1 nothing happens..

normally, when SW3 (the switch near FPGA JTAG header) is set to bottom position (so 1/2), the design will be not loaded (if there is any of course, that must not be the case). Only WL1/WL2 will be the whole time on, no matter if FPGA powered on or off. So the only status is to check current consumption, when off it will be something 20mA, when on something between 200mA and 2A (that depends on design and populated parts). When the SW3 is in position 2/3, then design wil be loaded. The default Prime Sense design will ebale D24 (the blue one near 5V jack) and some of the D14 to D23 (between PS1000 JTAG and CN1).

However, on your boar we need first to solve the WL1, it should be on as well the whole time, so shot the pictures pls.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:54:50 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline alexeygor

Re: Cheap Virtex 5 FPGA Board (actually PrimeSense DevKit better known as Kinect)
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 09:19:24 pm »
Thanks a lot for your help!

Attached the top and bottom photos of the power supply part of it..
Do you know also the values for C104(Under the FPGA..), C112, C175, C182?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 09:46:54 pm »
Do you know also the values for C104(Under the FPGA..), C112, C175, C182?

they all decoupling (except C175)

C104 - 270nF
C112 - 10uF (same as C117)
C175 - 2.2uF
C182 - 4.7nF

the missed parts on your pictures are

C25 - 100nF decoupling for U7 (single gate, NL17SZ86)
R32 - 680R
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 10:05:15 pm »
However, on your boar we need first to solve the WL1

the missing R32 is for WL1, so it should in principle work even without that resistor.
When on, the first MAX IC should provide 1V (on C6/C4), the second MSX IC 3.3V (on C5/C7)

Your U6 didn't look "nice", it should produce 12V (on TPS4, always avilable).

On TPS1 there should be 3.3V when on.

On TPS5 (near FPGA) you should have 2.5V when on.

On bottom side, near FPGA JTAG, on C126 you should measure 1.8V

This are the important voltages,  everything else is less important (as for the PS1000).

Btw. in my email i said R24=11.01k but that was wrong, it is of course 1.1k. The R25 remains 7.5k
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:29:05 pm by tinhead »

• Super Contributor
for those who looking for cheap MICTOR connector source (to e.g. attach some memory to these boards), i found some on ebay 350563842869.

Offline xmicron

Hi there,

Thanks for your help on this board.(tinhead)

I received this board today and I am missing 2 parts.
If you can help it would be much appreciated.

C3 cap near the 5V adapter and
D10 diode in the back of the FPGA

Thanks,
Frank

• Super Contributor
Hi there,

Thanks for your help on this board.(tinhead)

I received this board today and I am missing 2 parts.
If you can help it would be much appreciated.

C3 cap near the 5V adapter and
D10 diode in the back of the FPGA

Thanks,
Frank

Frank,

i've posted right now new schematic, under http://1drv.ms/1BUD6Nv

There is now the whole power section included, as well some corrections to "FPGA", "I/O" and "other parts" sheets.
The only sheet i have't (yet?, i don't know, i don't need it) really finalized is the "PS1000". I did fixed power supply
and broken/missing nets, but still lot of analog parts not reversed (but they actually only necessary for Kinect operation).

So from dev board point of view everything reversed (i think).

Offline xmicron

Great job I must say!
Thanks for sharing.
I think I can find now anything that is missing.

I haven't yet powered up the board and any 5V voltage adapter that I tested (about 20!) none of them seam to have the correct barrel to fit the 5V DC jack!!!
Have you any idea?

Also can you attach the ucf file that you use?

Best regards,
Frank

• Super Contributor
Have you any idea?

no idea, the first one i tested was ok  :palm:

Also can you attach the ucf file that you use?

it was on the first page (master pinout.zip or so), but i did uploaded the latest version on onedrive and removed it from the thread.

Offline xmicron

Many thanks,
Regards,
Frank

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf