Electronics > Microcontrollers

Chinese Knockoffs FM8PE53 replace PIC12C508

(1/4) > >>

Mr J:
FM8PE53 OTP MCU can replace PIC12C508, PIC12C509

I was wondering if anyone have used these knock offs, unfortunately my school is going though a budget crisis and I'm trying to cheapen parts for students to build projects.

Psi:
I'd hardly call a PIC12C508 an expensive chip to start with.  It's $1.50 @ x25 from digikey.

The students probably spend much more on food every day, and a PIC lasts quite a bit longer :P

You could probably build the micros into a small box with some added polarity/voltage protection if students destroying them is an issue.
And it makes it easier for them to connect things up if there's terminals rather than pins.

NiHaoMike:
Offer them extra credit if they use parts they ordered, including samples.

Rufus:

--- Quote from: Mr J on January 12, 2012, 04:30:06 am ---FM8PE53 OTP MCU can replace PIC12C508, PIC12C509

I was wondering if anyone have used these knock offs, unfortunately my school is going though a budget crisis and I'm trying to cheapen parts for students to build projects.

--- End quote ---

The PIC12C50x is expensive because it is mature (obsolete). The FLASH PIC12F50x is half the price and assuming your students don't get to keep their projects you can re-use the ones they managed not to blow up. 

Mr J:
yea but even the cheap parts get expensive in large QTY we typically have to order for 150 students. We typically do about 50 projects each student per year , yes the student keep there projects when completed for free (can't charge them, parents have a bird every year for a required TI-30 calculator, some years if we have enough $$ we spring for them).

I don't believe in recycling one project over and over, when I was a student we did that and once I had it up and running I had to take it apart for the next student, it sucked i couldn't bring it home and show it off and I nothing for examples in a portfolio, all that work with nothing to show. 

So about 7500 projects/units (all one offs) total of various parts (not just the 508's). If I can save a few cents on each part it adds up and I can stretch the tax payer dollar as much as I can. My teaching partner jokes that where like a mini china, lol.

Good idea on the extra credit on the free samples NiHaoMike, i will have to think about that. we do get samples for new "in the works" projects and get some donations, we just got 10,000 LM324's so we have about 10 projects in the works with those for next year.

For those curious on the projects here is a list of some of the popular ones. Not included on this list are arduino base projects, robotics and laboratories.

Breadboard Power Supply Project
Simple PS 9V 
Simple siren
Noisy Cricket
Jingle Bells / Teletubby
Continuity Checker
IPOD Amp w/ Power Supply
Ringing Phone Light Flasher
Temperature Probe
Hyper Peppy
Talking Clock
Drawdio