Author Topic: Code::Blocks build etc. delayed  (Read 648 times)

Offline T3sl4co1lTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Code::Blocks build etc. delayed
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:44:50 pm »
Recently developed problem: often when I go to build a project (and it seems, also when opening a new one), it hangs for about 4 seconds, then builds normally.

I hooked up Process Monitor and it seems the critical operation is a faulty network access:

Code: [Select]
\\"E\Program Files\Atmel\Atmel Toolchain\AVR8 GCC\Native\8.1.0\bin"\
This occurs after about 4.5 seconds, when the hangup releases and the build finishes.  I do not, of course, have an "E" machine on my network, so the path fails.  (Other than the leftmost part, the path is the correct location of my build tools.)  Seemingly Windows times out after 4ish seconds, and caches the result so that repeated access (say if I hit Build every some seconds) goes through immediately.

Before that, the usual flurry of access, mostly probing file paths it looks like.  After that, more of the same, but also creating process avr-gcc.exe and such, i.e., actually starting the build process.

During the wait, Code::Blocks completely hangs, no console output shown, does not respond to input.

It's interesting that the very next operation is also badly formatted,

Code: [Select]
E:\Documents and Settings\Tim Williams\My Documents\AVRStudio 5.1\GPIB-Serial\"E:
(this apparently being an erroneous project-relative access), almost like it tried to concatenate two paths but by a fluke of syntax, it broke into two separate checks, the one of which turned into a network path.

It's repeatable across several projects, so I don't think it's in the projects themselves; or, if it is, it's immediately contagious.

Any idea where I might've entered a bum path?  I don't find the string anywhere in the config file...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
Re: Code::Blocks build etc. delayed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 09:53:13 am »
Hmm, this might be related to the random 2-3 second hang I sometimes get before compilation finishes.

The compiler has finished running, but it's like C::B is waiting on something before concluding. The weird thing is that it's not counting this time, as logged execution time   would say e.g. "2 seconds", even though it didn't return for 5.

What did you use to log file access? Procmon? I should try and see what it turns up.

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 01:15:12 pm »
I tried logging file and process activity, but couldn't actually get it to exhibit the problem behaviour, so I didn't see any invalid paths.

One thing I noticed: all the paths it's probing are ones that are in the PATH environment variable. Have you checked your PATH value to see whether it contains anything invalid? (Open a command prompt and type set PATH.)

Offline T3sl4co1lTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 03:20:36 pm »
Hmm, the path in question had quotes around it.  Looks like that breaks some things, interesting.  Lesson: paths don't need to be quoted, indeed some APIs can't properly compose paths with quotes in the middle!

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf