Author Topic: Control two MIPI displays with just one microcontroller.  (Read 799 times)

Offline luiHSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Control two MIPI displays with just one microcontroller.
« on: January 24, 2022, 06:49:53 pm »
Hi
Would it be possible to control two MIPI displays with one microcontroller?

I have a design to do, this one has two small 3 inch screens with MIPI interface, on opposite sides of a cube. This cube rotates and at a given moment only one of the screens is visible, so it would help me to use only one microcontroller that plays the video, I can detect the position of the cube to know which video I have to play.

The first thing would be to know if I can share the data and clock differential pairs between two screens and if I would have to keep the track length the same for both screens, there are two data lanes and one clock.

Then I would have the problem of the Tearing signal (TE), from which only one of the two screens could be used, my question is if both screens still receive the same data at the same time, they could not be perfectly synchronized in terms of the Tearing signal to display perfectly stable image.

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Control two MIPI displays with just one microcontroller.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 07:19:34 pm »
You need a multiplexer for that. Most are 2 channel though. AFAIK ADI is the only manufacturer of a 4 channel one, don't remember the PN, sorry.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

The following users thanked this post: luiHS

Offline luiHSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Control two MIPI displays with just one microcontroller.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 08:07:43 pm »
You need a multiplexer for that. Most are 2 channel though. AFAIK ADI is the only manufacturer of a 4 channel one, don't remember the PN, sorry.

Thanks.
I found a switch, the Onsemi FSA642UMX, with it I can select between two MIPI inputs to one output. As in my application both screens do not really have to be working at the same time, it will be useful with a switch that selects between one of the two inputs.

I also looked at a multiplexer (mostly from Texas and Onsemi), but the problem is that all the ones I found are with 0.4mm pitch BGA package, too thin for a reliable assembly in soldering for me, and it would also complicate the PCB design. The switch, although it is also 0.4mm, is a QFN package, easier to solder and check that there are no short circuits between pins in the welds.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:11:06 pm by luiHS »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf