Author Topic: Cortex M3 hand holding tutorial  (Read 15649 times)

Offline TheBrickTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Cortex M3 hand holding tutorial
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:56:06 pm »
Hi, I've bought ,my self a M3 development board (LPC-P1343) and Jtag cable / unit. I've set up my tool chain but I'd like to read though some tutorials about that step my though some code. There are some example that come with the code by not real explanation of what is being done. Running though my head are questions like "where did that function come from?", "what are you setting to 0X00000000F and why?", " Can I use the same .s file for everything and it is just some set-up  for this device or do I have to customise it for every project".

I've done some AVR programming before and the tutorials I found for that have been excellent. Stepped me through what was being done from blinking LEDs to UART to interrupts e.t.c. I've read some intro to cortex M3  documents and introductions (e.g. http://www.egr.msu.edu/classes/ece331/mason/web_files/ARM_CortexM3.pdf, some othe pdf from ARM)  that tell me that its Harvard architecture and there are 15 general purpose registers e.t.c but all of the tutorials seem to be aimed aimed at specific boards or I feel like I've walked in to a conversation half way through. I thought that with CMSIS things should have a standard interface? I just need a dummies intro to get me rolling on some basic task then I will understand what bits I need to google to go further.

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
Re: Cortex M3 hand holding tutorial
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:02:06 pm »
They are all highly alike, aside from the peripherals. So once you know how to set up one, you know how to set up another.

Your issue looks like you need to know how to set up yours. That can be difficult without knowing specifically what tools you are using.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Tris20

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:19:41 pm »
There's a good book called "Fast and effective embedded systems design - applying the ARM mbed" which I got a while ago. It goes with the LPC1768 which also runs off the M3 and has a decent amount of good beginner code and descriptions. Not sure how useful the book will be for JTAG but it can certainly help you get used to a new embed provided you're happy to make a few minor changes to the code (mostly just pin outs) to get things to work.

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:17:52 pm »
Welcome to ARM.  This appears to be the rite of passage for anyone learning them.  It seems you're supposed to blindly jump in and start modifying code until you start to see the patterns for yourself.  Does that function exist in every example, even those from different vendors?  Then it's probably CMSIS.  That kind of thing.

The crappy orientation doesn't seem to be an impenetrable barrier, as Cortex Ms are pretty much the rage these days.  But, as you can tell, Arduino it isn't.

Just start digging in.  Read the data sheet sections for I/O pins and the peripheral you want to use.  Tweak the code and compile it, see if it works.  It's foreign right now, but if you immerse yourself in it, you'll get there.  I assume.  I'm still logging time in the co-pilot's seat myself.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:44:51 pm »
There are quite a few decent tutorials online. One thing that helps you a lot is to be familiar with the gcc toolchain - most ARM toolchains are derived from it. 

Most of the stuff I have is for STM32, but for LPCs there are some as well - just adapt to your micro:

http://www.dreamislife.com/arm/
http://tenuki.fr/nio101/?page_id=67
https://code.google.com/p/cortex-m3-tutorials/
http://www.meatandnetworking.com/tutorials/arm-cortex-mx-quickstart/
http://www.meatandnetworking.com/tutorials/lpc1114fn28-with-open-source-tools/

These are pretty good overview of gcc, linker scripts, debugging with OpenOCD and gdb. It is for STM32 but most things are pretty much the same for the LPC chips too - you may just need a different configuration here and there.

http://hertaville.com/the-stm32f0discovery-board/
http://hertaville.com/2012/06/29/alternative-tutorials-for-setting-up-a-gcc-based-development-environment/

There are likely some more. For JTAG, gdb and similar - have a look at OpenOCD and/or the website of the vendor of your JTAG tool.

There are also a lot of videos and tutorials on Youtube, explaining the architecture, how to set up the toolchain, etc.

For example:

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »
That (the video) is a really good tutorial series.  It starts out with the typical pointless and inevitably incomplete guide to how to use installation programs and write C code, but goes pretty quickly into useful info, assuming this isn't your first time using a computer.

I really like how it works up from reading / writing memory to explaining the concept of memory maps and GPIO registers.  Great approach to demystifying the inner workings.

Good stuff, thanks for posting the link.   :-+

Offline azrobbo

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:18:48 am »
It sounds like something is wonky with your IDE & CMSIS setup.   Since you're using an LPC MCU, you might check out NXP's free IDE:  http://www.lpcware.com/lpcxpresso

The video linked off of that page is about an hour demo of setting up and using the IDE - hopefully that will get you going.

Cheers.

Offline nuhamind2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 02:34:59 am »
I'm in the same boat. Have been reading a few document but never actually write a code. Lately I'm wondering about every file automatically included when I start a project and what purpose they serve. This PDF explain CMSIS and the level they are used.
http://www.doulos.com/knowhow/arm/CMSIS/CMSIS_Doulos_Tutorial.pdf

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:25 am »
There are generally 3 types of files involved in a CMSIS start-up:

1) the start-up file: it lays down the interrupt vector table, calls SystemInit() and then _main()/main(). Tpically written in assembly;
2) the device file: it defines the interrupt vector table specific to the device and provides a set of clock management functions (SystemInit(), SystemCoreUpdate() and some basic nvic functions). Typically done in C. The .h file here is very important.
3) the core file: defines a set of routines across CMx chips and key register mapping.

For the most part, they are transparent to the programmer.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 09:15:00 am »
Here is another good general ARM tutorial, explaining the toolchain, the linker scripts etc.
http://www.bravegnu.org/gnu-eprog/index.html

And a very decent but brief walkthrough from compiling down to JTAG, but for STM32:
http://www.triplespark.net/elec/pdev/arm/stm32.html

I don't have issues with IDEs like LPCxpresso, but those things often hide everything behind an impenetrable wall of "black magic". OK if you want to get going quickly, but not when you are trying to learn and understand what is actually going on.

There is also another thread going with a lot of good pointers:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/arm-begginer-questions/

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »
I gotta say, I'm a gcc fan but IAR looks like a nice package.  From the YouTube videos above, it seems focused on getting down to business.  Every little thing in LPCXpresso (Eclipse) is obscured by wizards and step-by-step dialogs that do who-knows-what.  Ugh.  Like you said, impenetrable black magic.  I find that much harder to understand than compiling things by hand on the CLI, for e.g.

Thanks everyone for the great links and such.  Keep it coming.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 07:11:43 pm »
And a very decent but brief walkthrough from compiling down to JTAG, but for STM32:

Way too complicated, in my view.

Depending on where I start, I can do the blinky and/or the FPU examples there within 15 minutes for sure, and likely within a couple minutes, in most IDEs (Keil / IAR / CoIDE or even LPCxpresso).

There actually are minimum differences between the various IDEs, as long as you understand how a typical project is set up, how to link in source / header / library files and how to set up the various switches. After that, you can easily replicate whatever you do on one IDE to another.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 08:39:32 am »

Way too complicated, in my view.

Depending on where I start, I can do the blinky and/or the FPU examples there within 15 minutes for sure, and likely within a couple minutes, in most IDEs (Keil / IAR / CoIDE or even LPCxpresso).

There actually are minimum differences between the various IDEs, as long as you understand how a typical project is set up, how to link in source / header / library files and how to set up the various switches. After that, you can easily replicate whatever you do on one IDE to another.

Yeah, I am not arguing with that. If  you are an experienced engineer, have the means to get these tools and want to be productive quickly, buy the toolchain and IDE and off you go. It is certainly faster than compiling/setting up own toolchain, IDE, what not. That's what these things are for, finally.

However, for a newbie learning the platform, these "magic" IDEs won't do you any favours. If you want to go beyond the "Arduino-like magic button pushing" stage, one has to have the understanding how the code is actually compiled and what is going on behind the GUI. I have been teaching basic C/C++ programming to university students for several years and giving these folks something like Eclipse, Visual Studio or XCode was a sure-fire way to get them lost with the distractions of the IDE right there. If the code compilation, linking and deployment is reduced to a single click of the "Build" button, then good luck trying to explain the difference between a syntax and linking error, for example - everything becomes "it doesn't compile!" error ...

I am a fairly experienced software developer myself, but when I started with ARM, it helped me a lot to actually see what is going on with the startup code, how the linker scripts are set up, how to make gdb talk to my JTAG, etc. Tools like LPCExpresso or Keil that I have tried are hiding these things from you - it somehow does the right thing, but good luck figuring out what is going on there if you don't even know what to look for yet!

To conclude - you need to distinguish whether the objective is to bang out code quickly (then go for an IDE) or learning and pedagogy.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 09:29:24 am »
but when I started with ARM, it helped me a lot to actually see what is going on with the startup code, how the linker scripts are set up, how to make gdb talk to my JTAG, etc. Tools like LPCExpresso or Keil that I have tried are hiding these things from you

If they are hiding it from you, they are hiding it in plain sight: they are right there, in your project directory or linked directory, depending on how you set up the tools. If anything, any IDE makes it far easier for you to trace through the various files and see how they work together.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 03:40:44 pm »
but when I started with ARM, it helped me a lot to actually see what is going on with the startup code, how the linker scripts are set up, how to make gdb talk to my JTAG, etc. Tools like LPCExpresso or Keil that I have tried are hiding these things from you

If they are hiding it from you, they are hiding it in plain sight: they are right there, in your project directory or linked directory, depending on how you set up the tools. If anything, any IDE makes it far easier for you to trace through the various files and see how they work together.

Dannyf, you have managed to completely miss my point. The "plain sight" is much less plain when a) you aren't aware that you need some sort of "startup file" to begin with, b) that the application will not work unless you use the correct linker script (and there could be different ones even for the same chip!), c) any of the power or RCC/NVIC/pin mapping idiosyncrasies isn't handled right, etc.

That is the main value of doing the "bare bones" tutorials - to learn how things actually fit together, then you will know what to look for in the IDE. Remember, we are talking a complete newb here, perhaps someone who did some Arduino or PC programming, where all these things are taken care of by the default compiler setup and much simpler hardware.

Then the person switches to an ARM IDE, where this is set up for you "in plain sight" using vendor libraries and tools and wonders why the project suddenly doesn't work at all, even though they just wanted to put some LED on another port - e.g. because power or clock to that port that isn't used in the vendor's example wasn't enabled. Good luck tracking that down if you don't know what you are looking for!

I am certainly not advocating doing bare bones programming for production nor bashing IDEs as such. I am only speaking from experience of having to teach this stuff to complete neophytes for four years at a university.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »
-when a) you aren't aware that you need some sort of "startup file" to begin with, -

startup files are not unique to arm chips or ide. Every mcu has them.

-b) that the application will not work unless you use the correct linker script (and there could be different ones even for the same chip!), -

that is actually a non issue for ide - I have yet run into an IDE where the default linker doesn't work.

-c) any of the power or RCC/NVIC/pin mapping idiosyncrasies isn't handled right, etc.-

again that's not unique to ide.

I don't think any of the examples above represents extra difficulties brought on by the use of an IDE.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 01:47:36 pm »
-when a) you aren't aware that you need some sort of "startup file" to begin with, -

Show me one for an ATMega or PIC then. You won't find anything comparable to the typical ARM startup file (power and clock tree setup) on these. Some PICs have PLL, but that's about it.

-b) that the application will not work unless you use the correct linker script (and there could be different ones even for the same chip!), -

that is actually a non issue for ide - I have yet run into an IDE where the default linker doesn't work.

The issue is not that it won't work but that you may have to modify it - e.g. to put some data in flash. Again not something that is common on the smaller micros like the ATMega (there you use compiler directives for doing the same). Not specifically an "IDE problem", but it is a lot easier to be aware of it when you do things "bare bones" first.

Anyway, I think we will have to agree to disagree here. You are obviously seeing it from the view point of an engineer doing this professionally every day, I am speaking from the position of someone who had to teach the programming basics to newbies. You would likely change your mind quickly if you had to teach this to someone who thinks that setting up a webpage is "programming" (that was the level of the students we had coming into the courses ...). IDE becomes a real distraction really quick in that case. Teach the simple/basic stuff first, move on to more complex topics/tools later!

Cheers,

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »
Show me one for an ATMega or PIC then.

Fairly easy:

1) the best place to look for them is in the .lss/.lst files: you will see a vector table (avr), a initialization section, and a call to main() - that's identical to what you see on those ARM chips (and pretty much anything else).
2) MPLAB I think also create a stylized strat-up.c in the project folder. gcc-avr utilizes a set of crt*.* files for start-up - you can google them as well.

(power and clock tree setup) on these.

Gating of clocks is not available on most pic / avr so you obviously wouldn't find them there.

IDE becomes a real distraction really quick in that case. Teach the simple/basic stuff first, move on to more complex topics/tools later!

I actually find it the exact opposite. Maybe your perception, which I am sure is 100% legit, is a result of your way of doing things.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 04:09:52 pm »

Show me one for an ATMega or PIC then. You won't find anything comparable to the typical ARM startup file (power and clock tree setup) on these. Some PICs have PLL, but that's about it.
PICs and other controllers generally need a startup file written in assembly to setup the stack, clear the memory and initialise variables. The beauty of Cortex Mx devices is that they don't need all that because they can start a C binary directly and call C functions directly from an interrupt. This means you can write all the software in 100% pure C.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 04:30:16 pm »
Anyway, I think we will have to agree to disagree here. You are obviously seeing it from the view point of an engineer doing this professionally every day, I am speaking from the position of someone who had to teach the programming basics to newbies.

I agree ... someone coming from the world of host application programming doesn't have the first clue that a startup file is necessary.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 08:43:22 pm »
PICs and other controllers generally need a startup file written in assembly to setup the stack, clear the memory and initialise variables. The beauty of Cortex Mx devices is that they don't need all that because they can start a C binary directly and call C functions directly from an interrupt. This means you can write all the software in 100% pure C.

I beg your pardon? How do you start a "C binary" directly?  (btw, what is a "C binary"? Is it any different from an "assembler binary"?) The variable init, stack setup etc. you have on the Cortex-es too - and more. Mainly clock and power setup, which the PICs/AVRs and similar typically don't have, because of simpler hardware.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 08:53:05 pm »
The beauty of Cortex Mx devices is that they don't need all that because they can start a C binary directly and call C functions directly from an interrupt.

That's probably one of those "perfect understanding" of yours that is less than proper.

The start-up files I have seen are mostly assembly source files, and C source file in one case.

How do you start a "C binary" directly?

My reaction exactly, :)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 08:59:40 pm »
On PIC start-up file:

here is one generated by XC8 under MPLAB for a PIC12F675 project that I worked on.

Code: [Select]

; Microchip MPLAB XC8 C Compiler V1.12
; Copyright (C) 1984-2012 HI-TECH Software

; Auto-generated runtime startup code for final link stage.

;
; Compiler options:
;
; -o12f675 rmw.cof -m12f675 rmw.map --summary=default --output=default \
; main.p1 gpio.p1 --chip=12F675 -P --runtime=default --opt=default -N-1 \
; -D__DEBUG=1 -g --asmlist --errformat=Error   [%n] %f; %l.%c %s \
; --msgformat=Advisory[%n] %s --warnformat=Warning [%n] %f; %l.%c %s
;

processor 12F675

global _main,start,reset_vec
fnroot _main
psect config,class=CONFIG,delta=2
psect idloc,class=IDLOC,delta=2
psect code,class=CODE,delta=2
psect powerup,class=CODE,delta=2
psect reset_vec,class=CODE,delta=2
psect maintext,class=CODE,delta=2
C set 0
Z set 2
PCL set 2
INDF set 0

OSCCAL equ 0x90
psect osccal,class=CODE,delta=2
global ___osccal_val
___osccal_val:
;oscillator constant would be pre-programmed here
STATUS equ 3
PCLATH equ 0Ah

psect eeprom_data,class=EEDATA,delta=2,space=2
psect intentry,class=CODE,delta=2
psect functab,class=CODE,delta=2
global intlevel0,intlevel1,intlevel2, intlevel3, intlevel4, intlevel5
intlevel0:
intlevel1:
intlevel2:
intlevel3:
intlevel4:
intlevel5:
psect init,class=CODE,delta=2
psect cinit,class=CODE,delta=2
psect text,class=CODE,delta=2
psect end_init,class=CODE,delta=2
psect clrtext,class=CODE,delta=2
FSR set 4
psect strings,class=CODE,delta=2,reloc=256

psect reset_vec
reset_vec:
; No powerup routine
; No interrupt routine

psect init
start
psect end_init
bsf STATUS,5 ;select bank 1
fcall ___osccal_val
movwf 0x90 ^ 0x80
bcf STATUS,5 ;select bank 0
global start_initialization
ljmp start_initialization ;jump to C runtime clear & initialization

; Config register CONFIG @ 0x2007
; Brown-out Detect Enable bit
; BOREN = OFF, BOD disabled
; Data Code Protection bit
; CPD = OFF, Data memory code protection is disabled
; Oscillator Selection bits
; FOSC = INTRCIO, INTOSC oscillator: I/O function on GP4/OSC2/CLKOUT pin, I/O function on GP5/OSC1/CLKIN
; GP3/MCLR pin function select
; MCLRE = OFF, GP3/MCLR pin function is digital I/O, MCLR internally tied to VDD
; Watchdog Timer Enable bit
; WDTE = OFF, WDT disabled
; Code Protection bit
; CP = OFF, Program Memory code protection is disabled
; Power-Up Timer Enable bit
; PWRTE = OFF, PWRT disabled

psect config
org 0x0
dw 0x3194

psect bank0,class=BANK0,space=1
psect bank1,class=BANK1,space=1
psect ram,class=RAM,space=1
psect abs1,class=ABS1,space=1
psect common,class=COMMON,space=1
psect sfr0,class=SFR0,space=1
psect sfr1,class=SFR1,space=1

end start
[/quote]

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 09:08:42 pm »

I beg your pardon? How do you start a "C binary" directly? 
Simple. First you need an interrupt vector table.
typedef struct TCortexIrq
{
uint32_t __initial_sp;              // 0x00 Top of Stack
uint32_t Reset_Handler;             // 0x04 Reset Handler
uint32_t NMI_Handler;               // 0x08 NMI Handler
uint32_t HardFault_Handler;         // 0x0c Hard Fault Handler
uint32_t dummy1;                    // 0x10 reserved
uint32_t dummy2;                    // 0x14 Reserved

-snip-

uint32_t WDT_IRQHandler;            // 16+25: Watchdog Timer
uint32_t BOD_IRQHandler;           // 16+26: Brown Out Detect
uint32_t dummy13;                         // 16+27: Reserved
uint32_t PIOINT3_IRQHandler3;        // 16+28: PIO INT3
uint32_t PIOINT2_IRQHandler2;        // 16+29: PIO INT2
uint32_t PIOINT1_IRQHandler1;        // 16+30: PIO INT1
uint32_t PIOINT0_IRQHandler0;        // 16+31: PIO INT0
} TCortexIrq;
Then that needs to be initialized and put in a section which is at the start of the memory:
extern void _stack_end();

//Interrupt table. The first entry is the stack pointer the second entry points to main
const TCortexIrq CortexIrq  __attribute__((section("vectors"))) ={
.__initial_sp=(uint32_t) _stack_end, //SP at the end of the memory
.Reset_Handler=(uint32_t) main,
.HardFault_Handler=(uint32_t) hardfault_handler,
.TIMER32_0_IRQHandler=(uint32_t) timer_handler,
.UART_IRQHandler=(uint32_t) UART0_IRQHandler,
};
Now the controller will call main and initialise the stack pointer with the value from _stack_end after a reset. The 'symbol' _stack_end is defined in the linker description file. Next we need some initialisation:
extern void __bss_start__();
extern void _bss_end();
extern void _data();
extern void _edata();
extern void _stack_end();
extern void _datastart();

int  main()
{
memset(_data, 0, _stack_end - __bss_start__-32); //clear memory including most of the stack
memcpy(_data, _datastart , _edata-_data); //copy initialiased variables

SystemInit();
__enable_irq();

- run the firmware -
}
SystemInit() is located in a file from the CMSIS part and initialises the PLL and clock. __enable_irq() is a macro from core_cm0.h.
The linker descriptor file looks like this:
/* ****************************************************************************************************** */
/*   lpc1113.ld LINKER  SCRIPT                                   */
/*                                                                                                        */

/* identify the Entry Point  */
MEMORY
{
flash : ORIGIN = 0,          LENGTH = 24K /* FLASH ROM                            */
ram    : ORIGIN = 0x10000000, LENGTH = 4K /* free RAM area */
}

/* now define the output sections  */
SECTIONS
{
. = 0; /* set location counter to address zero  */

startup : { *(vectors)} >flash /* the startup code goes into FLASH */

.text : /* collect all sections that should go into FLASH after startup  */
{
*(.init)
*(.text) /* all .text sections (code)  */
*(.glue_7)
*(.glue_7t)
_etext = .; /* define a global symbol _etext just after the last code byte */
*(.rodata) /* all .rodata sections (constants, strings, etc.)  */
*(.rodata*) /* all .rodata* sections (constants, strings, etc.)  */
_datastart = .;
*(.data)
} >flash /* put all the above into FLASH */

.data : /* collect all initialized .data sections that go into RAM  */
{
_data = .; /* create a global symbol marking the start of the .data section  */
*(.data) /* all .data sections  */
_edata = .; /* define a global symbol marking the end of the .data section  */
} >ram AT >flash /* put all the above into RAM (but load the LMA copy into FLASH) */

.bss : /* collect all uninitialized .bss sections that go into RAM  */
{
__bss_start__ = .; /* define a global symbol marking the start of the .bss section */
*(.bss) /* all .bss sections  */
*(COMMON)
__bss_end__ = .; /* define a global symbol marking the start of the .bss section */

. +=  ( LENGTH(ram) - . ) - 32 ;
_stack_end = .;

} >ram /* put all the above in RAM (it will be cleared in the startup code */

. = ALIGN(4); /* advance location counter to the next 32-bit boundary */
_bss_end = . ; /* define a global symbol marking the end of the .bss section */
}

_end = .; /* define a global symbol marking the end of application RAM */
See? Not a single line of assembly language required and nothing hidden under the hood.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:13:13 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »
Simple.

That's a C start-up file. We are still waiting for your "C binary".

:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf