Author Topic: Curious research: "Plastic" micros using TFT fab processes  (Read 1004 times)

Offline WhalesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Curious research: "Plastic" micros using TFT fab processes
« on: July 23, 2021, 12:22:30 am »
Just a curiosity: research level, only runs at KHz and doesn't have all memory onboard.

Summary and images: https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/07/22/plasticarm-is-a-functional-non-silicon-flexible-cortex-m0-microcontroller/
Paper itself (seems open to download): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03625-w

Curious takeaway: TFT fabrication processes (ie those used to make LCD screens) instead used to fab a microcontroller.  Completely different substrate, authors claim it's much cheaper. 

Normally I would assume that the packaging & distribution costs of small micros is their dominant cost (not wafer+fab), but given the current shortages of certain models of small micro it might be worthwhile having a future where micros are fabbed on a wider variety of crazy processes.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Curious research: "Plastic" micros using TFT fab processes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 02:38:32 am »
I don't see why it would be cheaper. Especially when specs are a bit closer to something usable.

We already have 3 cent MCUs that are much faster than this.

I also don't buy eco angle. The piece of silicon is just sand in the end, plastic packaging is a bit worse, but if we assume non user friendly package, then we can go with WLCSP and avid the plastic in a traditional process.

It is an interesting proof of concept, for sure, but I would not extrapolate too much.
Alex

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 05:28:01 am »
In an era when the die for a small MCU costs less than the packaging and testing to turn it into a usable component, its hard to see how reducing the cost of the actual circuitry can do much for overall costs.

Offline WhalesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 04:23:29 am »
In an era when the die for a small MCU costs less than the packaging and testing to turn it into a usable component, its hard to see how reducing the cost of the actual circuitry can do much for overall costs.

Not at the moment, not everyone can get fab time.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 04:44:31 am »
Sure, but what makes you think that there will be fab time with a weird TFT on plastic process if it gets mass adoption? They will be in the same exact situation.
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf