Author Topic: Custom Rp2040 Board Device Descriptor Failed Error on Windows.  (Read 1061 times)

Offline atulraviTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Personal Blog
Custom Rp2040 Board Device Descriptor Failed Error on Windows.
« on: January 20, 2024, 06:50:02 pm »
I am working on a RP2040 Board in an UNO form factor as a drop-in replacement for an automation system with unos that are dying and am facing an issue where, I have built a custom RP2040 board. (Photos will be attached) When I plug it into windows, I get the device descriptor failed error code. In another prototype with the same chip that I had assembled before, the issue was due to 2 missing traces under the USB C port. But none of those exist in the current iteration. (Previous board issues here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/issue-building-custom-board-with-rp2040/) I have not changed the design much. I have only mapped the non-connected GPIOS to headers in the UNO formfactor. It is to be noted that the RP2040s were perfect since those board were assembled at a fab where they used a hotplate in my first prototype. But here, I am using Hot air instead. Could that cause an issue? Also, one mistake I made was not seeing that kicad did not connect the ground planes properly in the version I had fabricated. I have fixed that issue by adding a Bodge wire. Voltages are near perfect 3.34V on 3V3 pins and 1.08V on 1V1 pins. Oscillator seems to work fine. I have not tried using the debugger so far.  The CS Pin on the memory chip goes low when I press the bootsel pin on startup. Can anyone find any issue? (Like mentioned before, pics, scheme, gerbers are attached)
Hardware builder, innovator, hobbyist, by night. Student by day. Amateur HAM radio operator (restricted) VU3FUJ.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Custom Rp2040 Board Device Descriptor Failed Error on Windows.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 08:24:56 pm »
Would suggest a Rossman of flux, and reflow the board first, to fix the few suspect dry joints there.

The following users thanked this post: atulravi

• Contributor
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 11:22:55 am »
Would suggest a Rossman of flux, and reflow the board first, to fix the few suspect dry joints there.
Rossmann level of flux later, I have a partially working board. Now the issue is, whenever I upload the micropython uf2 to the board, it disconnects but it reappears as a fat drive and not as a RP2040 micropython board.  Any idea of a probable solution?
 Update: I got rid of the BOOTSEL switch and added the micropython uf2. Now the device disconnected. But when I reconnect it, it is not recognised anymore. A flash issue maybe?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 12:26:21 pm by atulravi »
Hardware builder, innovator, hobbyist, by night. Student by day. Amateur HAM radio operator (restricted) VU3FUJ.

• Contributor
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 02:00:04 pm »
Rossmann level of flux later, I have a partially working board. Now the issue is, whenever I upload the micropython uf2 to the board, it disconnects but it reappears as a fat drive and not as a RP2040 micropython board.  Any idea of a probable solution?
 Update: I got rid of the BOOTSEL switch and added the micropython uf2. Now the device disconnected. But when I reconnect it, it is not recognised anymore. A flash issue maybe?
Picotool shows that micropython was uploaded and the flash size matches the chip that I have soldered. Now windows says unknown device when I flash the board with micropython and when I connect it windows fails to recognise it. Ubuntu as well. Hmm.....

• Contributor
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 06:59:21 pm »
It turns out to have been an issue where the flash was acting up. replaced it and made sure it was not exposed to the heat of the hot-air gun directly and it worked! Thanks a lot for the help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf