Author Topic: difference between LwIP's Raw API and Socket API?  (Read 443 times)

Offline tilblackoutTopic starter

• Contributor
difference between LwIP's Raw API and Socket API?
« on: April 22, 2024, 06:07:37 am »
Hello, I am accessing the internet using a 4G module in RNDIS mode (https://winprotocoldoc.blob.core.windows.net/productionwindowsarchives/WinArchive/%5BMS-RNDIS%5D.pdf).

In LwIP's contrib/apps/ping/ping.c, you can choose between RAW API and SOCKET API by defining the PING_USE_SOCKETS macro.

One strange thing is that when I use the SOCKET API, only the first ping is successful, and the following ones fail. However, when I use the RAW API, every ping works just fine.

Since I enabled LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOCKING and FreeRTOS, I'm not sure how to adapt the RAW API. I would like to understand the difference between these two APIs.

Additionally, I tried accessing the internet using an Ethernet chip, and both the RAW API and SOCKET API always worked for pinging, which made me suspect that the RNDIS protocol might only support TCP. But, given that the RAW API works fine, it makes me think the issue might be with LwIP.

I'm a bit puzzled. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Online tellurium

• Regular Contributor
Re: difference between LwIP's Raw API and Socket API?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 07:34:50 am »
I explain how things work in my https://github.com/cpq/embedded-network-programming-guide - go read it.

Long story short:
1. LWIP has 3 APIs: raw, netconn, and socket
2. raw API is a callback based API: TCP/IP stack receives data, and calls your function. Works in RTOS and non-RTOS environment, cause LWIP just calls your function, so it is simple as a pancake.
3. netconn API is just a small layer on top of raw API that implements connection data buffering for a given connection, that's all, so you can consider it as a raw API, too
4. socket API implements BSD interface, designed like files - cause that's what those UNIX people used to use. They thought, hey, we represent things in UNIX as files - kernel objects with numeric IDs in userland (file descriptors), and API like read/write/open/close. So why don't we do the same for network connections? And they did.
5. network connections they called sockets, and assigned a similar numeric ID (socket number), and did the same open/close/read/write API as for files.
6. And here goes a problem - whilst you can just read from a file and expect data synchronously, you can't from a socket. you can wait for data forever. So they thought - oh shit, we can block forever, so let's introduce O_NONBLOCK for sockets. And since we can have multiple sockets, we can read them all in a loop using O_NONBLOCK, fine! But wait, that's going to be a busy loop.... What we gonna do? Ah, let's introduce a multiplexing syscall, select/poll, which will just block until any of the sockets is ready
7. That's convoluted API, but that's how it was designed. And it is a standard now. All because read/write/poll/select can block.
8. A proper API for network connections of course is event based.
9. But everyone uses BSD API - just because, and so to do so, they MUST use RTOS, because read/write/poll/select can block, so they run a TCP/IP task in a separate task, and user network tasks in a separate task, and use RTOS queues for passing data between them - like, recv() from a socket uses RTOS queue to send data from a socket buffer in LWIP task, to your user task. And then yeah, your task is likely going to buffer the data again, just like the socket buffer did one layer below.
10. But that's exactly how socket API works.

So I think that gives you a clue about the API difference.
Open source embedded network library https://github.com/cesanta/mongoose
TCP/IP stack + TLS1.3 + HTTP/WebSocket/MQTT in a single file

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, Siwastaja, gpr, tilblackout

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
Re: difference between LwIP's Raw API and Socket API?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 12:29:46 pm »
Do a search here on LWIP. Some great posts in the past, especially from a guy called dare. I also asked a load of questions :)

LWIP is poorly documented and the few people who really understand it rarely post in forums.
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf