Author Topic: EPROM Windowed PIC's  (Read 5847 times)

Pippy

EPROM Windowed PIC's
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »

Found these last night whilst sorting out some old chips so that I could find them again if need be.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: EPROM Windowed PIC's
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:13:32 pm »
They're a beauty, but I don't regret that flash memory won the race. I remember the erase time of eproms (15 minutes?) which totally killed your productivity while debugging.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Pippy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:16:03 pm »
lol yeah, it was awful having to wait for the erase cycle to complete, took flippin ages to debug the firmware. I just about remember using them.

Offline Dataforensics

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:22:11 pm »
Ah what you needed was a dataman strobe eraser, only took around ten seconds. I still have one and its a device I was always a bit scared to use as it could probably blind you in seconds.
Woops, just looked them up and see they are not recommended for microcontrollers.

Offline Vernon

• Engineer LLC "Where imagination (flying Monkey) takes flight"
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:25:15 pm »

Found these last night whilst sorting out some old chips so that I could find them again if need be.

Yes! things of beauty. They belong in a museum :)
"Pie are not square!  Pie are round!  They ain't teached you nuthin' at that there Uni Versa Tee."

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:24 pm »
They're a beauty, but I don't regret that flash memory won the race. I remember the erase time of eproms (15 minutes?) which totally killed your productivity while debugging.

I used to have 3 windowed chips when developing code.  One in the board, another in the eraser and a third one cooling down after being erased.   :D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:54 am »
I've still got several windowed PIC's somewhere. Ah, the memories...

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 02:25:39 pm »
What is this ? A bunch of crotchety old men reminiscing about the good old days ?
Sheesh...

In my time i had to walk two hours to get to the internet. In winter even through the snow ! And now ? The click and -wooft- everything is there ...  Mumble mumble...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline daveshah

• Supporter
    • Projects
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 02:38:06 pm »
I've always wondered if it would be possible to specifically program bits using a very narrow beam laser

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 02:44:53 pm »
The laser would erase them... You need an electron beam to charge the gate..
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »
Erasers... You blokes were spoilt, I stuck mine on the window sill for day or two

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 03:20:26 pm »
The laser would erase them... You need an electron beam to charge the gate..
Those kinds of methods have been used to reset code protection bits in decapped devices.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 03:59:48 pm »
Jep. That's how it is done. Decap , flash the fuse bit. Dump...
There are specialized companoes that have maps for almost every processor where the bits are.
Its not hard to find. Buy blank chip , set fuse , probe around with an ebeam to see where the charge is. Takes a few hours the first time. Write down coordinates. Next chip takes less than a minute to do.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 07:56:43 pm »
Erasers... You blokes were spoilt, I stuck mine on the window sill for day or two
IIRC I also have a windowed PIC somewhere. Many years ago I build a ^Canal+ (pay TV) decoder from a diagram on internet. Because there where several software versions I bought a PIC with a window so I could erase and re-program.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 06:36:35 am »

Thats why you used more then one chip while developing :) Remember developing some code at school, used 4 chips while developing. Erase some, have couple still to test your code.

Thank God we have flash memory now, much much easier and faster.
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 09:27:09 pm »
Ha, I still have several of those too. I used to use the Dataman UV eraser too.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline MrAureliusR

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 01:24:07 pm »
The colour scheme for the PIC's on the right seems to be a popular one for EPROM based devices. I've got a couple old (70s) TI EPROMs that look identical. They still work! I don't have an eraser though - realistically how long does it take sunlight to erase them?
--------------------------------------
Canadian hacker

Offline Niklas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 05:35:03 pm »
My boss was contacted a couple of years ago regarding a project he worked on in the 1980s. The machine, a welding robot, had started to do strange things and it turned out to be related to a corrupted EPROM. They had used paper sticker instead of a foil based sticker to cover the window. Sometimes the products live longer than you initially plan for. It turned out that my boss still had copies of the old firmware stored on floppy disks and get the machine back to work again.

Citizen

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 01:51:44 am »
Hm...can you glue a UV LED on each EPROM-window  and make a super slow SRAM from it?=)))

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf