Author Topic: FPGA OpenRISC and RS232?  (Read 1971 times)

Offline sci4meTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • sci4me.com
FPGA OpenRISC and RS232?
« on: July 28, 2013, 04:21:57 am »
Hi guys! So, I have been thinking about trying to install OpenRISC onto my FPGA fallowing this guide: http://kevinmehall.net/openrisc/guide/ However, it requires me to connect via a serial cable to my pc. It says I need a serial cable. I do believe I have one somewhere around here, but I was wondering if I could somehow just directly connect it to the rs232 on my pc? I dont think I can, but I was just wondering. I am using a de0-nano fpga board. If not, I'll try and find the cable.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: FPGA OpenRISC and RS232?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:51:56 am »
nope. you need the levelshifters.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:21:04 am »
If you are in a hurry you can build one out of 2 transistors and a few resistors, but don't expect it to work at very fast baud rates. But do get a good way of getting a TTL level RS232 port as it ends up being very useful for a lot of MCU related projects.

Offline sci4meTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • sci4me.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:11:09 am »
Well, I ended up getting the cable. Things almost worked, but no luck. I got the cpu installed to the FPGA, and I got communication, but nothing more than a command that could make some led's flash. :/ That things pretty annoying to use.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf