Author Topic: FTDIgate 2.0?  (Read 381109 times)

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
Re: FTDIgate 2.0?
« Reply #875 on: July 01, 2016, 03:22:07 am »
Heh.  Buying new FTDI chips from eBay to fix counterfeit problems is like using random bottles of liquid from your garage to try to extinguish a fire...

(Most Chinese Arduino clone vendors have abandoned FTDI (counterfeit OR real) in favor of the CH340g USB/Serial converters.  An interesting change, since it shows that SOMEONE is capable of doing more than just stealing the original design.)

(I would love to here the inside story of how FTDI managed to decide their own chips were "not genuine."   Sigh.)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #876 on: July 15, 2016, 06:35:50 pm »
Heh.  Buying new FTDI chips from eBay to fix counterfeit problems is like using random bottles of liquid from your garage to try to extinguish a fire...

(Most Chinese Arduino clone vendors have abandoned FTDI (counterfeit OR real) in favor of the CH340g USB/Serial converters.  An interesting change, since it shows that SOMEONE is capable of doing more than just stealing the original design.)

(I would love to here the inside story of how FTDI managed to decide their own chips were "not genuine."   Sigh.)
I have moved almost all my Arduino-compatibles to CH340G. Easier than FT232 to solder, much cheaper, and the company that makes those chips is two hour drive from my city.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #877 on: July 15, 2016, 07:23:46 pm »

There was no "stealing".  The Supereal IC is just as much an original design as the CH340g.  It implements the FT232R interface, but the design is totally different.  (It even fixes some of the bugs in the FTDI part.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf