Author Topic: Getting started with TI's Code Composer for MSP430  (Read 2863 times)

Offline TimNJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Getting started with TI's Code Composer for MSP430
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:12:17 am »
Hi guys,

I'm a first year EE student. My college seems to be pushing Arduino, and while I see how it makes a good introduction to microcontrollers, I think they should really use something more industry accepted. Over winter break, which is coming soon, I want to do a little bit of experimenting with MSP430. I have NO experience with them at all, but I really do want to give them a try.

I've downloaded Code Composer Studio. It's based off Eclipse which I've used before, but I still don't know much about programming microcontrollers, other than what I have briefly learned with Arduino. I'm also not an Arduino expert by any means. I just want to try learning something more practical.

What's a good way to get started? Interestingly, the school engineering library has MSP430 Microcontroller Basics, which I've skimmed through. I wonder if it applies to CCS as well. They seem to reference the IAR IDE a lot. Any simple-ish tutorials out there?

Thanks.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: Getting started with TI's Code Composer for MSP430
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:33:55 am »
You can use Energia to program the MSP430, it's a port of Arduino for it. It might be a good transition to CCS because you name the pins by port rather than just the pin #.

You'll need to learn how to address the pins first when moving to any different MCU platform.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:40:29 am »
IIRC, TI had some pretty good tutorials for their launchpads.  (The one I looked at in detail was for the Stellaris Launchpad, but it looks like they have similar things for MSP430.)
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Getting_Started_with_the_MSP430_LaunchPad_Workshop

Offline TimNJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 07:44:11 am »
I remember reading about Energia somewhere. If I can't seem to learn CCS with enough ease, maybe I'll try it as a stepping stone.

West, thanks for sharing. Those do indeed look to be high quality resources. That's probably what I'll try using at first.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 11:48:18 am »
You may also want to take a look at the MSP430Ware.

Specifically for CCS, check its getting started guide and its training page. After getting your feet wet, the wiki category has dozens of pages that talk about various things.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf