Author Topic: GY-NEO6MV2 no FIX  (Read 3297 times)

Offline PluscrafterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
GY-NEO6MV2 no FIX
« on: March 04, 2019, 06:58:29 pm »
I have bought a gps module lile this https://www.ebay.ch/itm/GY-NEO6MV2-GPS-Module-Aircraft-Flight-Controller-APM-2-5-TE518-Flugregler/163574951440?hash=item2615d3ae10:g:WroAAOSwyXtcetI7:rk:1:pf:0 I hooked it up with my Uart to USB converter to the PC and  installed the ublox software. and connected it. But after half an hour I didn't get any fix and the signal isn't go higher than 30db.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:04:04 pm by Pluscrafter »

Online up8051

• Frequent Contributor
Re: GY-NEO6MV2 no FIX
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:07:02 pm »
Does the antenna see the sky?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:06 pm »
If you're trying it indoors, that may be normal.
 ::)

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 07:09:44 pm »
Outside there is the same result. And my desk is near the window.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 07:46:57 pm »
I have the exact same unit. Works just fine at the window. It can be a little slow in a california (wood) house depending on the room, for initial lock, but then has no problems tracking and staying in lock with lots of satellites.

The neo8m is a better unit (picks up glonass too) and lower current. But the 6 is cheaper and works fine for what I need.

cheers,
george.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 03:22:20 am »
I have a Neo-M8N sample board with a large patch antenna. It's fantastic. It will get a fix indoors even when not that close to a window (it can take a few minutes when indoors). It may depend on the region/time of day/day of year, but around here, it often tends to catch Glonass satellites a bit faster than GPS ones.

I can see that the OP's module from eBay comes with an external antenna. Is the antenna connected right to the board?

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 05:05:37 am »
The ebay neo 6 antenna plugs into the u.fl 'socket'. Probably worth making sure that the antenna 'plug' hasn't bent/distorted the u.fl 'socket'. They can be a little hard to plug in the first few times and it's possible to bend/mangle the pins/ground shroud... If so, it could be shorted now...

cheers,
george.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 05:29:27 am »
I have the same NEO-6M board and it works indoors quite well. Away from windows and through a wood roof.

I would verify the patch antenna wiring with an ohmmeter to the uFL connector, to see if the antenna is actually connecting to the PCB or if it is shorted. The coax is very small. The module runs off 5V and has a 3.3V regulator on the PCB. My patch ant. says G156 but your pic is G165. Ugh.

The NEO-7M board I got with a larger patch antenna and on-board LNA not working, no fix unless I used the SMA, bypassing the LNA.

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 10:39:48 pm »
I veryfi that the antenna isn't broken, but anyway I'll do a test tomorrow on a field were there aren't much houses nearby.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 02:27:34 am »
Testing my neo6 (same as your ebay link at the top), until I get at least in the high 30's to near 40 db the unit will NOT lock and provide a position fix, even after many many minutes. This inside not near a window.

Once it gets a position fix and has initial lock it is happy to keep working even at low 30's. If the signal on a lot of sats drops to 30 to 20 then it loses fix easily until the signal becomes stronger.

So, until you get your signal strength up, I doubt you'll get an initial fix. From your pictures above, your signal strength is too low to get an initial fix and too low to maintain it reliably.

The neo8 in the same position on my desk does much better, but then it has a slightly larger passive antenna and has a more sensitive receiver and of course since it also catches the glonass constellation it is likely to get stronger signal through the roof of our house by just having more sats 'sneaking' signal between rafters and stuff in the attic...

cheers,
george.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 02:36:51 am »
This is closer to the window so slightly higher signal strength. Neo 6.

cheers,
george.

and yes, if you know what to read the lat/long is in the text section :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:38:25 am by georges80 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf