Author Topic: How to start on PIC/ARM  (Read 1048 times)

Offline MoriambarTopic starter

• Supporter
How to start on PIC/ARM
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:59:43 am »
Hi there.
In my beginner experience I only used AVR micros. Why? Because some years ago I found this book which helped me a lot understanding the basics of micros etc. Also it helped me using my arduino to program the AVRs.

Now I think it's time to expand my knowledge with PICs and perhaps ARMs. Is there any resource comparable to the book I mentioned about them, or any books you would recommend about them?

Also: is it valuable to buy a PICKit 4 to program them or is it doable via arduino? Is there any alternative for ARMs?

Cheers and sorry for the newbieness in this matters.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: How to start on PIC/ARM
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:03:05 am »
Probably more useful to go directly to ARM rather than learn another 8 bit platform.
Unless you have a need for PIC for a project.

However, if all the microcontroller programming you've done so far has been with Arduino you might be better to learn to use AVR's without the Arduino training wheels on.
Going from Arduino to Raw AVR is a more manageable jump than trying to go from Arduino to ARM.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:07:00 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Moriambar

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 11:14:27 am »
You can program most "modern"  PIC 8 bit microcontrollers using their 15$ programmer : https://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails/PG164100

Basically, pretty much all PIC microcontrollers that support low voltage programming can be programmed with the programmer above.

You have MPLAB-X ide which is free.

From there, you can google for PIC tutorials, but most recommend older series of PIC microcontrollers which are very basic but basically there's better alternatives.

A good tutorial seems to be this one: https://www.gooligum.com.au/PIC-tutorials

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:20:38 am »
Another alternative in the 32 bits area is the STM32duino , in an arduino way [ Edit ]:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2234529/#msg2234529

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:44:47 am by malagas_on_fire »
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline mc6800

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 11:49:53 am »
I've just picked up a book ("Programming with STM32 nucleo boards") from Elektor. They are bundling the nucleo board with the book at the moment, and from first reading it seems quite a good introduction to an arm/cortex chip.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf