Electronics > Microcontrollers

How to stop microchip / atmel studio from linking to files in other projects

(1/3) > >>

Simon:
i have a problem with microchip studio. I take a copy of a project and change the folder name. Now when I go through this project I right click on something and select go to definition or whatever and it pulls files from the other folder of the "archived" copy.

There are no references that i can see to the projects path that could have been copied over. What the hell is going on with this garbage?

nali:
I started out with Studio last week. After a few days messing about it's now uninstalled and replaced with MPLAB/X.

From AVRFreaks:

--- Quote ---By the way, I reported a bug on the Studio debugger. I just got this back:

--- Quote ---    Please note, for Microchip studio IDE, No further additions of new devices support, no more bug fixes are planned. For new project / designs, we recommend to use MPLAB Ecosystem. https://www.microchip.com/en-us/tools-resources/develop/mplab-x-id
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

ejeffrey:
I have never found an IDE that handles this acceptably.  Some do a better job than others but all of them ultimately fail. The only way around it is to not copy projects.  Instead create a new project and copy the code over.

This sucks because all of the configuration you did in the GUI that was supposed to be helping you is basically lost.  If you didn't take notes of every single change you made, you just are starting from scratch.

For this reason it's ok to use an IDE for simple projects where you don't have to change much from the defaults.  If you are doing extensive project customization i  an IDE you should rethink it and move to manually managing your build system.

Perkele:
If this is "Atmel Studio", have you tried to remove .atsuo files from .vs subfolder after copying a project?
Those files are updated on each compile/build, they contain some hardcoded paths, debug info, etc.

P.S. Do a  backup before trying to remove files.

ajb:
Deleting the `.atsuo` files as Perkele mentions is a good first step in solving any kind of weirdness with Microchip/Atmel Studio.  IME doing that has never caused a problem.  You can also safely add them to .gitignore. 

There may be a setting somewhere to control absolute vs relative paths, but I've definitely duplicated atmel studio projects before and not seen this, so just deleting the .atsuo/other transient files might be enough.

--- Quote from: ejeffrey on February 28, 2024, 02:49:11 pm ---This sucks because all of the configuration you did in the GUI that was supposed to be helping you is basically lost.  If you didn't take notes of every single change you made, you just are starting from scratch.
--- End quote ---

At least in Microchip/Atmel Studio (and Visual Studio, which the former is based on), all of that configuration is in plaintext in the project files.  It might take a bit of work to extract it and port to a new build system, but it's not especially difficult to skim through and find most of the things that you would need to transfer.  And if you're starting with a working IDE project, you can probably grab the automatically-generated makefile out of the build directory as a starting point.  There are definitely some advantages to a non-IDE build system, but there's also a very large grey area as far as when it becomes the truly 'better' choice, depending on the project and the people working on it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version