Author Topic: IAR constantly crashing ??  (Read 1592 times)

Offline ArioTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
IAR constantly crashing ??
« on: August 21, 2023, 07:27:22 am »
Hi There,

I know the question I am about to ask is quite vague, if it was not I could probable figure it out myself. I work on IAR, for my company. IAR has different versions for compiler version since the IDE and compiler is kind of bundled together.

My issue is that IAR constantly crashes. It will crash in situations where other IDE's would only sound an error.
Especially if you try to break in some libraries.

Does someone else also have the same experience??
Any general advice on what I can try to improve its stability.

Any suggestion or help would be appreciated

Offline lighting shade

• !
    • Lightingshade-shades of light
Re: IAR constantly crashing ??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 12:08:49 pm »
Hello Ario,

I understand your frustration with IAR constantly crashing. It's not uncommon for integrated development environments (IDEs) to have stability issues, especially when working with specific compiler versions.
Here are some general suggestions You can try to to improve its stability:
You need to ensure that you have the latest updates for both IAR IDE and the bundled compiler. Developers often release fixes for stability issues.
You need to check that your computer meets the system requirements for IAR. Sometimes, insufficient hardware can lead to crashes.
If you use plugins or extensions, make sure they are compatible with your IAR version.
When breaking into libraries, ensure your debugger settings are correct. Incorrect configurations can lead to crashes.
If problems persist, report bugs and crashes to IAR's support. They may provide specific solutions or updates.
Note:
It is recommended to regularly save your work to prevent data loss during crashes.

Online eutectique

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 04:59:48 pm »
Hello Ario,

I understand your frustration with IAR constantly crashing. It's not uncommon for integrated development environments (IDEs) to have stability issues, especially when working with specific compiler versions.
You need to ensure that you have the latest updates for both IAR IDE and the bundled compiler. Developers often release fixes for stability issues.
You need to check that your computer meets the system requirements for IAR. Sometimes, insufficient hardware can lead to crashes.
If you use plugins or extensions, make sure they are compatible with your IAR version.
When breaking into libraries, ensure your debugger settings are correct. Incorrect configurations can lead to crashes.
If problems persist, report bugs and crashes to IAR's support. They may provide specific solutions or updates.
Note:
It is recommended to regularly save your work to prevent data loss during crashes.

Chatgpt detected. Convince me that I'm wrong.

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 07:55:09 pm »
Hello Ario,

Note:

Chatgpt detected. Convince me that I'm wrong.

Oh, it definitely is. But a bit edited to remove the usual paragraphs and numbering.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 11:51:55 pm »
Yeh it doesn't pass the sniff test for me either.

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 05:11:46 am »
If you are using IAR with a non-IAR emulator - we had crashes in that situation. IAR would get stuck during emulator operations and needed a shutdown and restart, sometimes including windows. It also seemed to depend on using IAR with two screens and whether the IDE and the emulator dialogs appeared on the same screen..
I mean you change your setup until it works better. Or reinstall the application, maybe a more recent version.

Regards, Dieter

The following users thanked this post: Ario, Mori

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 11:40:43 am »
Does someone else also have the same experience??
Any general advice on what I can try to improve its stability.

The only crashes that I was seen is a crash in JTAG driver when connection to the device was suddenly broken. In some cases such connection break can be handled as error, in more rare cases it can lead to IDE crash. But this is crash in JTAG driver... The same thing happens with any IDE or tool which connects to the device through JTAG/SWD.

The advice is simple - just use good quality cable and reliable JTAG/SWD connection with your device.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 11:48:38 am by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: Ario

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 12:33:54 pm »
We used to have issues with debugging on IAR with CC25xx mcu's
It was a bit of a minefield.  If you knew what you could and could not do in the debugger it was fine.
But do the wrong thing and it would immediately lockup and you'd need to kill the app.

I say "used to" because we moved to VScode, gcc and a different mcu, no more issues :)
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Ario

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 12:55:49 am »
for MSP430 and STM32 it works ok

Regarding to crash when connection to device was suddenly lost it also leads to crash in ST-LINK Utility, so I think this is not IDE issue...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:58:39 am by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: mskeete, Ario

Offline ArioTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 06:53:00 am »
I did not evan notice :(

The CharGPT response
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 06:56:23 am by Ario »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf