Author Topic: JESD204B Resources and pitfalls?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline KontakrTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Junior EE
JESD204B Resources and pitfalls?
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:40:30 am »
A project at work is probably going to be moving towards using JESD204B, rather than a parallel LVDS bus due to sampling rates. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this apparently very painful protocol or resources that might be helpful to get a solid grip on it. The current plan is to buy the Xilinx IP core, but that only simplifies so much. If there are other solid cores available, I haven't found them yet.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
Re: JESD204B Resources and pitfalls?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:07:22 am »
When I last looked into this, a year or two ago, you either had to roll your own core or license Xilinx's for beaucoup bucks.

Nowadays, I believe that Analog Devices may be supplying their own homebrew core.  Have a surf through their Github repository and see what you can find.  It would sure be nice if this is the case.  Even if it's not licensed for use with non-AD parts, it would still provide a lot of useful clues for writing your own.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:25:09 am »
Hi,

Following on from KE5FX's comments ...

Here is are some useful links to ADI website:

https://wiki.analog.com/resources/fpga/peripherals/jesd204

and

http://www.analog.com/en/applications/landing-pages/001/jesd204-serial-interface-jedec-standard-data-converters.html

This should get you started in the right direction.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

• Contributor
  • Junior EE
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 05:38:24 am »
Xilinx wants ~$7k for a site license, which is pricey but not too bad. Looks like the AD core is $5k, and there appears to be an Intel/Altera core too. More options than I knew about before.

Thank you for the links, I'll read over those.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:59:04 pm »
Xilinx wants ~$7k for a site license, which is pricey but not too bad. Looks like the AD core is $5k, and there appears to be an Intel/Altera core too. More options than I knew about before.

Thank you for the links, I'll read over those.

I understand that there are two licenses for the AD core:

Source: http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/jesd204-interface-framework.html

You might be able to do some useful work without spending any money.

Jay_Diddy_B

• Contributor
  • Junior EE
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 02:33:56 am »
The GPL-2 version would be very useful for learning and evaluation prior to buying the commercial license for the actual product.

That's a pretty clever way to drive sales: give out a free version to tinker with, then sell them the commercial license just because of familiarity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf