Author Topic: Infineon xmc4500 - anyone has ever used it?  (Read 327 times)

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
Infineon xmc4500 - anyone has ever used it?
« on: October 13, 2019, 03:20:00 pm »
I don't definitively like the RAD approach offered by the tool Dave.
I have two relax kit, collecting dust ... a shame because they offer LAN and hardware cordic.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Infineon xmc4500 - anyone has ever used it?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 03:39:23 pm »
I haven't, but I guess you can probably use the DAVE SDK with pure C and not use all the graphical tools?

Maybe this page can help (it's from FreeRTOS, but doesn't matter, it may give you ideas/examples on how to directly use GCC with this SDK?): https://freertos.org/Infineon-ARM-Cortex-M4-XMC4000-RTOS.html

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 04:02:10 pm »
I have not used the xmc4500, I am working on a xmc4400 at work.
Infineon do not have strong presence in embedded processor market, they are strong in automotive market.
I must say, their support is very good, they spent many hours working with one of my junior colleagues to fix issues with xmc1404 project. However, the issues were all to do the stupid DAvE tool that Infineon provide. Again another really bad Eclipse vendor integration  :palm:

Again, I fail to understand why people like Eclipse IDE, it is the worst IDE I have ever had the missfortune to work with  >:(

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:43:41 pm »
I fail to understand why people like Eclipse IDE, it is the worst IDE I have ever had the missfortune to work with  >:(

Even Windriver did the wrong choice of offering their workbench based on Eclipse, and, as result, the old Freescale e500 had *A LOT* of troubles with the integration of gcc, and, even worse, with external hardware debuggers.

I remember the manager was very very irritated because they had put 50K euro into the purchase of the equipment(1), and the development team got crappy plugins ... Anyway, with 50K euro you have people to call to fix the jam(2).

(1) Tektronix TLA7012 Logic Analyzer, Your Price is $19,800.00, and, as extra premium, it also comes with "free" Eclipse plugins.

Are these plug-in good? or bugged and crappy? Of course crappy, but you can always pay someone to fix them. Crazy business, ain't it?

(2) and precisely here, thank to the legal squad, it was included in the contract. Lawyers save your day.

+Respect+  :D

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 05:46:33 pm »
I haven't, but I guess you can probably use the DAVE SDK with pure C and not use all the graphical tools?

Maybe this page can help (it's from FreeRTOS, but doesn't matter, it may give you ideas/examples on how to directly use GCC with this SDK?): https://freertos.org/Infineon-ARM-Cortex-M4-XMC4000-RTOS.html

yup, thanks.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 07:14:50 pm »
Again, I fail to understand why people like Eclipse IDE, it is the worst IDE I have ever had the missfortune to work with  >:(

Well... just because it's everywhere, it's cross-platform, and can be easily extended.
Yes, the same can be said about some bad disease.

Users tend to like things that look familiar. Managers tend to like things that look cheap to develop.
Of course, the key word here is "look".

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Frequent Contributor
    • Embedded Tales Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »
I use the XMC4400 and XMC4700. I don't use Dave; I use Rowley CrossWorks and/or Segger Embedded Studio. Neither of these is based on Eclipse and both are cross platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS).

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 05:25:20 am »
I use the XMC4400 and XMC4700. I don't use Dave; I use Rowley CrossWorks and/or Segger Embedded Studio. Neither of these is based on Eclipse and both are cross platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS).

Yeah Dave sucks, Eclips sucks, and ... well, this "Rowley CrossWorks" stuff seems interesting. I have already downloaded a trial.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf