Author Topic: Intel Atom C2000 Failures  (Read 33797 times)

Offline ericloewe

• Supporter
Re: Intel Atom C2000 Failures
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2023, 01:39:57 am »
Hi everyone! greetings from Spain.
I have a DELL S4048-ON switch crashed after shutdown and reboot. I think I'm affected by this Clockgate from Intel, I cannot get any data via serial console and switch try to boot in a loop. I search all the web and I saw same problem on this model (2015 factory date).
I was wondering if anyone has S4048-ON's schematics so I could find LPC_CLKOUT on the mainboard. I see a connection pinout near microprocessor (pic attached), probably one of those pins is LPC_CLKOUT.

These switches have an ASPeed BMC, don't they? Look for a daughterboard with an American Megatrands [sic] MegaRAC sticker. The BMC connects via LPC (and USB and PCIe) to the host, so that would at least narrow down your search a bit.

Offline pat0te

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2023, 12:05:18 pm »
Stick a scope probe to it?

Unfortunaly, I don't have any scope.

Offline pat0te

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2023, 12:06:42 pm »
I have a DELL S4048-ON switch crashed after shutdown and reboot. I think I'm affected by this Clockgate from Intel, I cannot get any data via serial console and switch try to boot in a loop. I search all the web and I saw same problem on this model (2015 factory date).
I was wondering if anyone has S4048-ON's schematics so I could find LPC_CLKOUT on the mainboard. I see a connection pinout near microprocessor (pic attached), probably one of those pins is LPC_CLKOUT.

These switches have an ASPeed BMC, don't they? Look for a daughterboard with an American Megatrands [sic] MegaRAC sticker. The BMC connects via LPC (and USB and PCIe) to the host, so that would at least narrow down your search a bit.

I think this switch has not BMC, but I'm going to take a look. Thanks for your suggestion.

Offline pat0te

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2023, 05:25:44 pm »

Zero chips or stickers found with an American Megatrends / MegaRAC ::sadface::

Offline ericloewe

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2023, 06:58:27 pm »
Ok, further digging and a series of fortuitously timed posts by a few people led to further useful info about Supermicro A1SAi/A1SRi boards, and likely other vendors' board too:

Well, the gist of it is that there are two clock lines, one feeds the TPM header and is involved in the boot ROM selection; the other runs to the BMC. This is why fixing the boot failures often still left the BMC unresponsive to the LPC bus, it just wasn't getting any clocks.

Supermicro's fix for this is a pair of 150 Ohm bodge resistors, one to pull up each of these two clock lines to 3.3 V. The fix is actually pretty neat on these boards and could pass casual inspection, depending on how well the soldering turns out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 07:07:04 pm by ericloewe »

Offline Sacodepatatas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2023, 02:10:19 pm »

You can buy a DIY 50MHz Frequency counter for less than 5€ from AliExpress/eBay. Or you can build a temporary one by yourself if you've got a PIC16F628A and some led displays in your spare box.

Edit: Or one of those EZ-USB FX2LP boards that can be programmed as a logic tracer and costs about the same price.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 02:14:41 pm by Sacodepatatas »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2023, 02:28:42 pm »

You can buy a DIY 50MHz Frequency counter for less than 5€ from AliExpress/eBay. Or you can build a temporary one by yourself if you've got a PIC16F628A and some led displays in your spare box.

Edit: Or one of those EZ-USB FX2LP boards that can be programmed as a logic tracer and costs about the same price.
And they will be totally useless for the job.

Offline Sacodepatatas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2023, 01:49:41 am »
Why? I have used such frequency meter for monitoring the stability of 32MHz clock signals, I don't see why a 25MHz Signal can't be counted with these. Maybe related to the logic voltaje levels, but nothing that couldn't be solved quickly. The most simple manner that I think for watching if there is a clock signal at any port, without any equipment at all but a multimeter, is just a high pass filter followed by a peak detector (a schottky, a capacitor  and a high value resistor) and then measure the voltage level at the output.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2023, 10:53:34 am »
Why? I have used such frequency meter for monitoring the stability of 32MHz clock signals, I don't see why a 25MHz Signal can't be counted with these. Maybe related to the logic voltaje levels, but nothing that couldn't be solved quickly. The most simple manner that I think for watching if there is a clock signal at any port, without any equipment at all but a multimeter, is just a high pass filter followed by a peak detector (a schottky, a capacitor  and a high value resistor) and then measure the voltage level at the output.
Because there is no signal at all or it's extremely weak once it fails.

Offline pat0te

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2023, 07:46:11 pm »
Ok, further digging and a series of fortuitously timed posts by a few people led to further useful info about Supermicro A1SAi/A1SRi boards, and likely other vendors' board too:

Well, the gist of it is that there are two clock lines, one feeds the TPM header and is involved in the boot ROM selection; the other runs to the BMC. This is why fixing the boot failures often still left the BMC unresponsive to the LPC bus, it just wasn't getting any clocks.

Supermicro's fix for this is a pair of 150 Ohm bodge resistors, one to pull up each of these two clock lines to 3.3 V. The fix is actually pretty neat on these boards and could pass casual inspection, depending on how well the soldering turns out.
I saw this repair on Internet, but Dell S4048 motherboard is very different. There is TPM header near microprocessor but only with 1 line of pins.

Video for Supermicros:

Offline ericloewe

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2023, 07:25:52 pm »

I saw this repair on Internet, but Dell S4048 motherboard is very different. There is TPM header near microprocessor but only with 1 line of pins.
Are you sure it's for a TPM? Do you have any documents saying that?

If so, my suggestion is that you figure out which of the pins are not power pins. From there, try pulling up each of them to 3.3 V (one at a time!) until the thing boots. Once it boots, you'll have identified your clock pin and can do a more permanent fix.

Pictures are also welcome for the next person to come along with such a dead switch.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 07:28:02 pm by ericloewe »

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline pat0te

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2023, 09:28:11 am »

Are you sure it's for a TPM? Do you have any documents saying that?

If so, my suggestion is that you figure out which of the pins are not power pins. From there, try pulling up each of them to 3.3 V (one at a time!) until the thing boots. Once it boots, you'll have identified your clock pin and can do a more permanent fix.

Pictures are also welcome for the next person to come along with such a dead switch.

Well, no, I'm not sure about TPM. I don´t have any documentation, that's the problem. I posted this pic before regarding TPM style connector:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95943.0;attach=1713377;image

Offline charly

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2023, 05:33:49 pm »
Just registered (a programmer here, my electronics skills are below zero :D ) to say thanks for this thread and keep it going for anybody still around (this hardware is way more than what many NAS boxes offer today).
I've had a 2550F since 2014 and it died on me like a year ago (using it with FreeNAS at home). Tried everything, it just turned some lights on the motherboard, but no video, no nothing. I even distrusted the power supply. Now this bridge that I made with audio friends help made it back to life! I didn't want to throw away this beauty even if it just works for a few extra months.
Thanks a lot!!

Offline Gil

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2024, 12:40:55 am »
Where is the pin located on the 251+ ??  many thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf