Electronics > Microcontrollers

Is ST Cube IDE a piece of buggy crap?

<< < (201/205) > >>

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: paulca on August 21, 2023, 08:33:13 am ---Peter.  To be honest.  I'd give up.  All of your posts in this thread just say you aren't cut out to be a developer.
--- End quote ---

That's probably true, but what he said about Java just above holds 100% true. Most Java apps are distributed with a compatible JRE that the app has been tested against, and a whole range of issues can occur if you use another JRE.
Java has never been all that stable in terms of compatibility, unless maybe you used only very basic libraries. Anything using fancy GUI Java libraries is a compatibility nightmare.

--- Quote from: paulca on August 21, 2023, 08:33:13 am ---If you did my day job you'd go postal in weeks.

--- End quote ---

Don't know what your day job is, but certainly a pure software development position would make a lot of us go nuts very quick. It's become, uh, very special.

peter-h:
I think hiding a return() in a macro like that is crappy coding. It is OK in that function, but this code is generated for people to use as example in general.

Similar to having a macro in a .h file which actually generates executable code.

Re "cut out to be a dev" well obviously not, because a real dev

- comments nothing
- documents nothing
- uses esoteric pointer code which nobody else understands
- has no stake in the company staying in business (always on LinkedIn looking for his next job)
- could not care less if a product sells well for 10 years (never mind 25 like some of mine!) and has to be maintained after that time
- documents nothing

:)

NorthGuy:

--- Quote from: peter-h on October 30, 2023, 09:32:20 pm ---because a real dev ...

--- End quote ---

Real programmer may or may not know the name of his spouse, but he knows all the ASCII codes.

jgrossman:

--- Quote from: peter-h on October 30, 2023, 09:32:20 pm ---I think hiding a return() in a macro like that is crappy coding. It is OK in that function, but this code is generated for people to use as example in general.

--- End quote ---

I agree in general, but that code is literally a HAL library. It's not generated for you to modify.

DavidAlfa:
I still see no problem here.
Whats's the problem of inserting a return in a macro? Why would it be a bad coding practice?

--- Quote from: peter-h on October 30, 2023, 09:32:20 pm ---this code is generated for people to use as example in general.
--- End quote ---
Absolutely not.
You should call the HAL function (SPI send, UART TX, whatever) and check the return code, not randomly call __HAL_LOCK, which is meant to be internally used by HAL, not by you!
It would be 100% your fault if you randomly call it without understanding what it does.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version