Author Topic: Issue building custom board with RP2040. (Board partially recognised by Windows)  (Read 2941 times)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Yes it's a 12V TVS so not that well adapted here. But note that regarding the highish capacitance (as it was mentioned earlier), it was unlikely the issue. The RP2040 is USB Full-Speed only and from the specs, you're allowed up to 100pF of capacitance on the data lines in FS (AFAIR) - actually you may sometimes see recommendations of adding some small capacitors on D+/D- for USB FS to limit EMI, although the series resistors should be enough for that purpose.

A very low capacitance is only required for USB HS and above.

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
Seems that I forgot to connect B6 and B7 pins of the 16 pin USB C connector and hence, I think it contributes to the issue as well. I cannot possibly solder wires to it. So, I now have 2 queries, Since I have effectively designed the board in such a way that the USB C only works in one configuration of the cable, should I get rid of the SM712 and interchange the data lines?
You should connect A6 to B6 and A7 to B7. Then the connector will work both ways.

Offline atulraviTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Personal Blog
Yes it's a 12V TVS so not that well adapted here. But note that regarding the highish capacitance (as it was mentioned earlier), it was unlikely the issue. The RP2040 is USB Full-Speed only and from the specs, you're allowed up to 100pF of capacitance on the data lines in FS (AFAIR) - actually you may sometimes see recommendations of adding some small capacitors on D+/D- for USB FS to limit EMI, although the series resistors should be enough for that purpose.

Very interesting. In the next iteration, I shall consider some capacitors on the Data lines maybe.
Hardware builder, innovator, hobbyist, by night. Student by day. Amateur HAM radio operator (restricted) VU3FUJ.

Offline atulraviTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Personal Blog
Seems that I forgot to connect B6 and B7 pins of the 16 pin USB C connector and hence, I think it contributes to the issue as well. I cannot possibly solder wires to it. So, I now have 2 queries, Since I have effectively designed the board in such a way that the USB C only works in one configuration of the cable, should I get rid of the SM712 and interchange the data lines?
You should connect A6 to B6 and A7 to B7. Then the connector will work both ways.
[/quote]
So if I were to connect only A6 to B6, it should work in one direction alone right? (Considering the A7 is already connected and B6 is already connected)
Hardware builder, innovator, hobbyist, by night. Student by day. Amateur HAM radio operator (restricted) VU3FUJ.

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: atulravi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf