Author Topic: JTAG Boundary Scan Software  (Read 1006 times)

Offline slugrustleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
JTAG Boundary Scan Software
« on: September 02, 2023, 02:52:11 pm »
I'd like to use JTAG boundary scan for bringup of new prototype boards at work.  These boards typically have one MCU on them, and I would be mostly testing the functionality of hardware controlled by the MCU.

It would be nice to be able to set pin states, read pin states, and maybe toggle a single pin at a particular frequency.  That would let me test things like static levels on logic circuits, gate drivers, relay coil drivers, etc.  as well as transition effects.  Right now, I basically do that manually by wiring the MCU in reset and soldering in my signal generator at I/O pins of interest.

What software is good for this purpose?  Does anyone else here use JTAG boundary scan in a similar way?

I've done a little looking around:
  • OpenOCD is open source.  It has some basic JTAG commands, low-level JTAG commands, and it can run SVF files.  I ordered an Olimex JTAG adapter and plan to play around a bit with OpenOCD.
  • Viveris JTAG Boundary Scanner is referenced by other open source projects. It has a GUI. However, it does not appear to have any documentation.
  • UrJTAG is old school and open source.  It seems to have a nice interactive commandline and the ability to play SVF files.  I might give it a spin.
  • TopJTAG is closed source with $100 license cost, which is not bad compared to others.  It has a GUI and looks nice, but the payment link on the website is broken, and none of the support or contact email addresses work.
  • XJTAG was demoed in Dave's video on JTAG boundary scan.  It looks nice. I think the XJAnalyser software and XJLink2 probe might be good for my purposes, but there's no price on the website. I'll bet it's expensive.
  • JTAG Live actually lists prices in their store.  I wonder if BuzzPlus ($185) or Clip ($785) would be sufficient for what I'm trying to do.  Their adapter is $450.
  • Corelis is another big player.  Their JTAG starter kit looks very nice, but again, no price on the website.  I'm guessing this one is also expensive.
  • Flynn Systems makes a program called Circuit Trace that seems like a good fit.  No pricing on the website.
  • Intellitech presently offers their closed-source NEBULA JTAG software for free.  It requires a Xilinx USB Platform Cable II ($270) and appears to be highly scriptable with additional abilities to toggle pins and play SVF files. Unfortunately, a company email address is required to download the software, so playing with this at home might be out of the question.

Finally, I suppose it is also possible to go hardcore and control an FTDI FT232HL or similar chip in MPSSE JTAG mode from a computer using FTDI's D2XX drivers.  I've used those drivers before, and they have a nice API.

I asked this in a test equipment forum thread where one response also mentioned Göpel's cascon software, with a hint that it might be pricey.  I'm asking again in the microcontrollers forum figuring people here might have more familiarity with JTAG boundary scan.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf