Author Topic: Kilobyte  (Read 41767 times)

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
Re: Kilobyte
« Reply #300 on: August 12, 2021, 06:50:16 pm »
I'm unsubscribing from this thread. Maybe if most of us do so, those who remain can just argue amongst themselves which will consume their time, thus cleaning up the OTHER threads where we can discuss meaningful issues.

Just a thought.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2021, 07:02:53 pm »
I'm unsubscribing from this thread. Maybe if most of us do so, those who remain can just argue amongst themselves which will consume their time, thus cleaning up the OTHER threads where we can discuss meaningful issues.

Just a thought.

Here's my way of putting it:  Those of us who enjoy discussing the topic, and perhaps random thread-drift, can continue to talk here.  Those who don't can unsubscribe as IDEngineer have done (or just ignore the thread -- the title is quite obvious) and then they won't be bothered by our mindless babble.  Their valuable time is now available to discuss meaningful issues, no doubt to the betterment of humanity.  Perhaps unfortunately for them, this won't prevent some of us from also participating in those "meaningful" threads, but such is life.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #302 on: August 12, 2021, 08:57:50 pm »

Just a thought.

As a purely technical question on forum mechanics, how does one unsubscribe from a thread that they've already replied to?
I do not see a way to prevent future replies from others from showing up under: "Show new replies to your posts."

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #303 on: August 12, 2021, 09:40:35 pm »
As a purely technical question on forum mechanics, how does one unsubscribe from a thread that they've already replied to?
I do not see a way to prevent future replies from others from showing up under: "Show new replies to your posts."

FWIW, I do know that this is possible, as I've done it myself.  I think it was just the "Ignore Topics" option, and that worked for "replies" as well as the general "new", but I'm not sure.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #304 on: August 12, 2021, 09:43:22 pm »

Just a thought.

Bottom right of the thread is a toolbar with a notify/unnotify button on it.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #305 on: August 12, 2021, 09:55:51 pm »

Just a thought.

I suspect the vast majority of eevblog readers never use that button, including me. Can't turn off what I've never turned on.
Responding to a thread seems to be an permanent override to it anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Once again, how does one unsubscribe a thread from "Show new replies to your posts"?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #306 on: August 12, 2021, 10:09:38 pm »
Just below the forum title at the top of the page and near your username, click on "Show new replies to your posts". Then, at the very far right of the list of topics you can check the boxes of the threads you want to ignore and click on "Ignore topics".
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #307 on: August 12, 2021, 11:08:11 pm »

Just a thought.

I suspect the vast majority of eevblog readers never use that button, including me. Can't turn off what I've never turned on.
Responding to a thread seems to be an permanent override to it anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Once again, how does one unsubscribe a thread from "Show new replies to your posts"?

Yes, sorry, when you said subscribe I thought you meant email notifications. You could just use willpower to ignore the thread in search..

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2021, 06:41:04 am »
Just below the forum title at the top of the page and near your username, click on "Show new replies to your posts". Then, at the very far right of the list of topics you can check the boxes of the threads you want to ignore and click on "Ignore topics".

Very strange. I found an image in the SMF documentation so I know what it should look like now. But for me, at least, the checkbox column and ignore topics button is not present. I also found an image where the feature can be selectively enabled/disabled by administration, so perhaps it's simply turned off currently? Or turned off for me or my user class?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #309 on: August 14, 2021, 01:40:18 pm »

Very strange. I found an image in the SMF documentation so I know what it should look like now. But for me, at least, the checkbox column and ignore topics button is not present. I also found an image where the feature can be selectively enabled/disabled by administration, so perhaps it's simply turned off currently? Or turned off for me or my user class?
Perhaps I should have copied the entire instructions. Please see below:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-update-new-ignore-topics-feature/msg651768/#msg651768
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2021, 09:23:28 pm »
Ok, sneaky enable button found in my profile. That was the problem. No idea if I did it to myself at some point or if that was the default setting.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #311 on: August 14, 2021, 09:40:36 pm »
Ok, sneaky enable button found in my profile. That was the problem. No idea if I did it to myself at some point or if that was the default setting.

No, that absolutely crap GUI of a white v/circumflex on a pale background did it to you. It is very easy to miss, gives no clue that it is clickable, and no clue what it might do if you unwittingly did click it.

GUIs were like that in the 80s. Then HP (of all companies) introduced the Motif 2D widgets that indicated that there was something to click and which position it was in. Everybody heaved a sigh of relief (ho ho) and rapidly adopted the convention.

Then cretinous weenies that didn't know history decided to revert to "flatty" styles with poor contrast. ISTR hearing that MS has started to undo that with the latest variant of Win10, but I don't care any more.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2021, 11:30:50 pm »
Then cretinous weenies that didn't know history decided to revert to "flatty" styles with poor contrast.

Funnily enough, from what I once read, the "renewed interest" in flat design, appearing in the mid to late 2000's, was mainly pushed forward, at first, on mobile devices - it was supposedly making more "efficient" use of limited screen real estate, and was supposedly much lighter on resources for those targets. The funny part is about usability: as you said, it just all tends to make the UI confusing, not exactly seeing what is actionable and what isn't. And, whereas on the desktop, with a mouse, at least you could have "hover highlight" to give you hints (which is still more annoying than just being able to see what is what without having to hover your mouse pointer over things), on a typical mobile device with a touchscreen, there is ZERO hover action possible (so you basically have no idea what is going to happen until you click on something, which in itself makes touchscreen stuff horrible IMO). So that's really extremely not ergonomic on a touchscreen-based GUI.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 11:33:14 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2021, 12:16:22 am »
Then cretinous weenies that didn't know history decided to revert to "flatty" styles with poor contrast.

Funnily enough, from what I once read, the "renewed interest" in flat design, appearing in the mid to late 2000's, was mainly pushed forward, at first, on mobile devices - it was supposedly making more "efficient" use of limited screen real estate, and was supposedly much lighter on resources for those targets.

Which is just another example of cretinous weenies not knowing history, in this case Win3.11 on a 640x480 screen or the Mac's 512*342 screen.

The funny part is about usability: as you said, it just all tends to make the UI confusing, not exactly seeing what is actionable and what isn't. And, whereas on the desktop, with a mouse, at least you could have "hover highlight" to give you hints (which is still more annoying than just being able to see what is what without having to hover your mouse pointer over things), on a typical mobile device with a touchscreen, there is ZERO hover action possible (so you basically have no idea what is going to happen until you click on something, which in itself makes touchscreen stuff horrible IMO). So that's really extremely not ergonomic on a touchscreen-based GUI.

Yup :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2021, 05:42:35 pm »
Art is created out of an internal need to express who you are, not to meet customer expectations.

Hammer this into your head and you will be able to understand all software and website artwork coming from Silicon Valley, and much more ::)

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #315 on: September 03, 2021, 12:28:49 pm »
The difference between those binary powers and base 10 also gets worse with bigger numbers.
With kilo / KiBi it's just 2.4%, but with teraBytes it's already increased to 10%

>>> pow(2,10)/pow(10,3)
>>> pow(2,20)/pow(10,6)
>>> pow(2,30)/pow(10,9)
>>> pow(2,40)/pow(10,12)

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #316 on: September 06, 2021, 05:27:44 am »
You know, having a new numeric prefix (Kibi-whatever) doesn't bother me NEARLY as much as the fact that they've made it TWO characters long!  That's just an awful idea.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #317 on: September 06, 2021, 07:21:30 am »
You know, having a new numeric prefix (Kibi-whatever) doesn't bother me NEARLY as much as the fact that they've made it TWO characters long!  That's just an awful idea.
Little choice or the confusion would have been even greater IMO.
Alternative could have been to put 2 or 2 on it to indicate it is a binary prefix.
Like k2B or k2B but that still is a second character.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:23:12 am by Kjelt »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #318 on: September 06, 2021, 02:02:37 pm »
k²B equals MB. ;) But k2B or kbB would be fine for me. The change from lower case k to upper case K for kibibyte (kB -> KiB) is a bit annoying. I assume it's done to match the other prefixes (Mi, Gi, ...).

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2021, 12:59:21 pm »
I want it to be 1024 bytes of 8 bit each, but it’s the 1000 SI unit that confuses things I think.
I’d prefer all memory units to remain evenly divisible by 8 as well.
I remember reading in a magazine article, an editor referring to HDD marketing Gbs as “Wiesel Gigs”, because the Gbs were rounded.
I loved the term, but it didn’t seem to catch on!

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2021, 02:07:07 pm »
This whole thing is a non solution to a minor problem.  The problem has two elements.  First the marketing folk have exploited confusion about the units.  Does anyone think that marketeers will jump to use unambiguous language?  Second, software and hardware folk need to accurately convey such things as cache size, buffering capacity etc.  A good solution to this problem has long existed.  Many programming languages have formal definitions for how to write numbers in non decimal based formats.  The ones I am most familiar with use 0xDDDDi where the I is a base identifier b for binary,  o for octal and h for hexadecimal being the options.  Combining this with standard metric prefixes would address the second issue without a new and unique prefixing system.  The best use of the prefixes would require adjusting their definition.  The symbols would have to be interpreted in the specific number base. kx1000o would be x1000h times x1000h for example.  (This interpretation also solves the marketing problem if strictly applied, but I am sure the marketing departments will somehow not get the word).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:10:48 pm by CatalinaWOW »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2021, 03:44:42 pm »
This whole thing is a non solution to a minor problem.  The problem has two elements.  First the marketing folk have exploited confusion about the units.  Does anyone think that marketeers will jump to use unambiguous language?  Second, software and hardware folk need to accurately convey such things as cache size, buffering capacity etc.  A good solution to this problem has long existed.  Many programming languages have formal definitions for how to write numbers in non decimal based formats.  The ones I am most familiar with use 0xDDDDi where the I is a base identifier b for binary,  o for octal and h for hexadecimal being the options.  Combining this with standard metric prefixes would address the second issue without a new and unique prefixing system.  The best use of the prefixes would require adjusting their definition.  The symbols would have to be interpreted in the specific number base. kx1000o would be x1000h times x1000h for example.  (This interpretation also solves the marketing problem if strictly applied, but I am sure the marketing departments will somehow not get the word).

Hey, it could be worse.

Marketing types could start referring to years like 2k21 being this year.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2021, 12:08:27 am »
Since the byte isn't an SI unit kB is meaningless from an SI perspective.

I'll never use KibiByte or anything like it, no matter how wrong it rubs some committee.  Sorry, but their opinion is irrelevant.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #323 on: September 18, 2021, 12:11:34 am »
Sorry, but their opinion is irrelevant.

If you don't think others opinions are relevant, why post yours?

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2021, 06:07:16 am »
Because it's yours which is irrelevant, simple as that :phew: :-DD

Egalitarianism completely takes away your ability to understand many simple things :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf