Electronics > Microcontrollers

Learning C

<< < (9/10) > >>

rsjsouza:

--- Quote from: baljemmett on May 30, 2012, 02:55:02 pm ---Not wishing to detract from the value you found in his writing, but the name seemed familiar for some reason; a quick Google brought up a critique of the current edition by a (then) voting member of the ISO C committee, as well as a question regarding his texts on StackOverflow.

The latter links to the alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ FAQ which be worth a read in itself for pointers to getting-started materials, etc.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the heads-up on the author and the technical accuracy of his books; back in the day there was a large number of garbage books on anything computer-related: several were copy-and-paste of data manuals or articles from Byte magazine... The options for decent books were rare. In any case I ended up getting what I needed (learning C), but I would agree that it may not be the best reference to be recommended anymore.

O'Reilly books usually are made by very decent writers... I learned Perl and have friends that learned several other programming languages from their reference books - unfortunately I never used any of their books about C.

IanB:
I have Herb Schildt's C++ book myself. As I was reading it I came to the conclusion it was the worst computer book I had ever seen. It really is an utter train wreck. Please avoid it.

TerminalJack505:
Geez.  I learned C such a long time ago that the books I learned from are all out of print.  All except one that is and that is the classic K&R book.  The fact that it is still in print probably says something.

I already knew assembly language (various processors) and BASIC when I read the K&R book so it wasn't too bad.  I can imagine that a complete noob might have problems, though.

Simon:
yes you're right, I have the K&R book and another book called "programming in C" edition three and I think this later book is easier than the former. They do say in the K&R book that they expect you to have some understanding of programming. I don't make it too complicated but programming in C does seem to start from the ground up talking about the programming language and about how programs are compiled.

rsjsouza:

--- Quote from: Simon on May 30, 2012, 07:03:24 pm ---They do say in the K&R book that they expect you to have some understanding of programming.

--- End quote ---

I read the K&R book after a few years into C programming; I really appreciated as it clears out some previous misconceptions (maybe caused by Schildt's technical issues), therefore it is a great follow-up book.

--- Quote from: TerminalJack505 on May 30, 2012, 06:57:29 pm ---The fact that it is still in print probably says something.

--- End quote ---

Well, several of Schildt's books are still being printed...  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version